Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Beginner question about manual mode

Hi all,

I have a K-x. The owners manual has the following description for shooting in the "M"anual mode.

"Lets you set the shutter speed and aperture value
to capture the picture with creative intent."

Why is no mention made of setting the ISO? Is this something the camera will automatically set based on the shutter and aperture settings? Or does the ISO also need to be set manually?

Thanks for the help
Bill

01-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
Inactive Account

When in manual mode, “Fixed Value” is your only option for setting ISO, as described on page 91 of the operating manual.
01-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That are 3 questions!
1: I don't know
2: No
3: Yes

In manual mode you do everything according to your own decision.
The light meter will help you with its opinion of the shot though....
01-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the help.

01-30-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The reason it doesn't mention ISO, btw, is that *all* modes let you control ISO. The unique feature of "M" mode is that is gives you control of both aperture and shutter speed.
01-30-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I make it a point to check my ISO setting every time I take out my camera. It stays where it was set last and I have often had a shot or shots come out not as I intended because I was shooting at ISO 1600.
01-30-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The reason it doesn't mention ISO, btw, is that *all* modes let you control ISO. The unique feature of "M" mode is that is gives you control of both aperture and shutter speed.
Doesn't TAv do that too?
01-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

It does on the camera that support it, but the OP has a K-x, which does not. It is true that on the upper end models, TAv and M mode *both* give you control of aperture & shutter speed, and the difference between them is that TAv does not give you control of ISO (the camera chooses it for your) whereas M mode does.

Actually, I'd put the the basic difference between M mode and all other mdoes a bit differently. In Mo mode, you set the exposure, and it stays set however you have set it. In all other modes, you control *some* parameter(s) of exposure, but the camera chooses the other parameter(s) to achieve the exposure it decides is correct. The only difference betwene the various non-M modes is which parameters are controlled by you and which are controlled by the camera, but in all cases, the final exposure is controlled by the camera. You can nudge it one way or the other using exposure compensation, but the camera is still playing a role in deciding how bright or dark to make your picture. In M mode, only you control that.