Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2010, 01:00 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax KX help!!!

Hi I just bought a Pentax KX , and I put an Ozeck lens on it, it fit well, and I've taken it off and on a few times since I've had it, but now it is stuck. What can/do I do?

01-30-2010, 01:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Is Ozeck a K mount lens, or a R-K mount lens? If it is the latter, then maybe this is a Ricoh pin issue?
01-30-2010, 02:58 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Not sure of mount...

I'm not sure of what kind of mount, but I've fitted it on my other two cameras, and it was okay. I also put it on this camera a few times, but now it won't come off, and I'm not sure of my options...
01-30-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

There are quite a number of people here that are knowledgeable about Pentax lens history, and I'm sure would know if the Ozeck has a Ricoh pin. In the meantime, search "Ricoh pin Pentax" etc. and you will see what I am talking about. The only time I have ever heard of a lens getting stuck on a Pentax is when it is a KR lens. Does your lens say "KR" or "RK" anywhere on it?

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 01-30-2010 at 11:40 AM.
01-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Sorry that your first post had to be under these circumstances

Pentaxpoke is probably correct. The most likely cause is the Ricoh pin. Solutions generally include one or more of the following:
  • Fiddling with the MF/AF switch
  • Gently rocking/nudging the lens at the "stick" point
  • Insertion of a feeler guage between lens and mount in conjunction with the above
  • Visiting a reputable repair shop with possible sacrifice of the lens.
Sorry to sound so grim. It would be good for Pentax to add a warning to its user manuals regarding the potential issues with the Ricoh mount lenses. Ditto for brand-X M42 adapters! (These also are prone to getting stuck.)

Steve
01-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Big thank you!!!!

After discovering the Ricoh pin issue and searching as you suggested I found this page theatre of noise: Ricoh Lenses On Pentax Cameras -- The Ricoh Pin Fix , which explains it completely including how to recover the lens (without pulling out the hacksaw!!!Yes, it was getting to that!) And...it's OFF!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!! I've now put the original lens back on, and I swear it will NEVER come off...unless I know what I'm doing! Thanks, your info was AWESOME!!!! You are AWESOME!!!!!!
01-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Awesome! I'm glad you were able to work it out without damage. Now that you have that pin out, everything should be fine.

This is the best thing about forums.

01-31-2010, 08:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It would be good for Pentax to add a warning to its user manuals regarding the potential issues with the Ricoh mount lenses. Ditto for brand-X M42 adapters! (These also are prone to getting stuck.)
Page 38 of the K100D manual:
We assume no responsibility nor liability for accidents, damages and malfunctions resulting from the use of lenses made by other manufacturers

What else must they say? Don't use make A, B or C? And next week/month/year make D comes and somebody happily puts it on his camera and the camera gets damaged and Pentax has to pay as make D was not mentioned in the manual.
01-31-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Page 38 of the K100D manual:
We assume no responsibility nor liability for accidents, damages and malfunctions resulting from the use of lenses made by other manufacturers

What else must they say? Don't use make A, B or C? And next week/month/year make D comes and somebody happily puts it on his camera and the camera gets damaged and Pentax has to pay as make D was not mentioned in the manual.
Thanks for the reference. I will have to scour my K10D manual to see if it says something similar. It is good to know that Pentax lawyers are aware of the issue.

The issue at stake here is somewhat different than your example. In this case, the Ricoh mount was on the market for several years before the Pentax AF mount debuted. The design incompatibility is long-standing, was there from the beginning, and is well-known to Pentax. For sure, you cannot "future proof" any warnings, but it stands to reason that you should not advertise compatibility with "thousands" of legacy K and screwmount lenses without taking some responsibility for a potentially fatal incompatibility.

Steve
01-31-2010, 03:08 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Awesome! I'm glad you were able to work it out without damage. Now that you have that pin out, everything should be fine.

This is the best thing about forums.
+1

Glad that it all worked out!

Steve
01-31-2010, 10:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reference. I will have to scour my K10D manual to see if it says something similar. It is good to know that Pentax lawyers are aware of the issue.
Page 59

The issue at stake here is somewhat different than your example. In this case, the Ricoh mount was on the market for several years before the Pentax AF mount debuted. The design incompatibility is long-standing, was there from the beginning, and is well-known to Pentax. For sure, you cannot "future proof" any warnings, but it stands to reason that you should not advertise compatibility with "thousands" of legacy K and screwmount lenses without taking some responsibility for a potentially fatal incompatibility.
I don't know what they have ever exactly advertised so can not really judge.

What are the options? A list of all compatible lenses and if you forget one you will get sued by the manufacturer; or a list of incompatible lenses and if you forget one you get sued by the end user. Not a nice position to be in.
01-31-2010, 10:34 PM   #12
Damn Brit

Moved to Beginners Corner where it will have more value.