Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2010, 03:09 AM   #1

WOW! First DSLR shock!

I just got my Kx today and I am having a blast. I read a few books on photography, read many many posts here on this forum and I didnt get how important light was until I took my first shot in Manual.

I took about 100 shots and this is the best one or least crappy,lol.

01-30-2010, 03:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
hhehe...nice job Justin and congrats!! I know whenever I get a new bit of gear, nothing is safe and is fair game for a shot!!

I kinda like the composition of the shot, it's different to me somehow...keep it up!! Remember digital film is really cheap...it's the two-hours in post processing that is expensive!!
01-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It is all about the composition, framing and the subject..and proper exposure of course.
Proper exposure not meaning the whole subject has to be well lit, it just means, you get the subject to stand out and be seen in the "light" that you want.
Keep it up!
01-30-2010, 10:33 AM   #4

One gripe I have about the K-x is that it picks a ridiculously high ISO when set on auto.

You can set the maximum auto-ISO to whatever you want, just by hitting the ISO button on the back. I keep mine at 3200. Then, if the light is really bad, I'll up it to 6400 or 12800 manually. I might suggest you do the same, unless the grain in photos doesn't bother you.

Have fun with your K-x! A very capable camera

01-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #5

I have posted this elsewhere, but my main two questions I would like to pose here to the lucky new owner (Digital Dustin) and an additional one.

1. What was the deciding factor that led to you buying the Kx?

2. Do you miss the lack of focal point confirmation in the viewfinder?

3. Is the screen really that low res or is it fine?

Thanks.
01-30-2010, 11:14 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by DavoMrMac Quote
I have posted this elsewhere, but my main two questions I would like to pose here to the lucky new owner (Digital Dustin) and an additional one.

Thanks.
1. Probably Price, High ISO. Didn't need the K7 weather sealing

2. Not at all. On any DSLR i just use the center point only AF mode, lock in the focus, and recompose if necessary.

3. Screen is totally fine, better than most actually. But Live View still sucks, don't even think about using it. (S L O W). The only 'good' LV camera I've seen are the m43 cameras from panasonic. (G1 GF1 GH1)
01-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DavoMrMac Quote

Thanks.
1. I decided to buy the Kx for the value mostly. The Kx is going toe to toe with higher rated models from Canon and Nikon. If I can pretty much get the same options, better ISO performance for a few hundred dollars cheaper than thats exceptional value. I got the 2 lens kit for 640, cant beat that.

For that price you get a D3000 2 lens kit but the D3000 doesnt even come close to the Kx or

a Canon XS 2 lens kit but that not even close either.

To get the same performance (except for the high ISO performance ) you have to spend a couple hundred more dollars with just one lens.

2. Not at all

3.compared to others a tiny bit but you can see plenty of detail. Just ask yourself, would you rather have focal point confirmation and a high res screen or insane high ISO performance?

01-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by erickallemeyn Quote
One gripe I have about the K-x is that it picks a ridiculously high ISO when set on auto.

You can set the maximum auto-ISO to whatever you want, just by hitting the ISO button on the back. I keep mine at 3200. Then, if the light is really bad, I'll up it to 6400 or 12800 manually. I might suggest you do the same, unless the grain in photos doesn't bother you.

Have fun with your K-x! A very capable camera
well I only took one shot on Auto. I quickly went to aperture priority, I still wasnt satisfied so I just said screw and went manual. I wont ever shoot in anything else again, it's actually not that hard to shoot in manual.

Last edited by Digital Dustin; 01-30-2010 at 11:35 AM.
01-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #9

Yea, it depends what you;re shooting too. If it's still life or art shots, Manual is king

If it's people (kids, sports, etc) Usually A mode is best (or P, if you're flashing). Sure, sometimes the camera doesn't expose perfectly, but if you shoot in RAW you can push/pull it 1-2 stops pretty easily. I use A mode probably 75% of the time
01-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #10

Original Poster
Yea, it depends what you;re shooting too. If it's still life or art shots, Manual is king

If it's people (kids, sports, etc) Usually A mode is best (or P, if you're flashing). Sure, sometimes the camera doesn't expose perfectly, but if you shoot in RAW you can push/pull it 1-2 stops pretty easily. I use A mode probably 75% of the time
ok, thanx for the tip. What mode do you use when shooting landscape and street shots? I'm going on an adventure to the North Shore today
01-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #11

If you have time, go manual. Shoot landscapes at F/8, ISO 400 or lower.

Street shooting is fun. People fascinate me.

What *I* do is put the camera in A mode, f/11, ISO 1600, and manual focus.

I choose f/11 so that I can get more of the shot in focus -- increases the 'keepers' rate. I set the focus manually to a specific distance, then shoot from the hip whenever someone interesting walks into the 'in focus field'. I pick a high ISO because I like the grain for B&W street shots, and it allows for very fast shutter speeds, which is helpful when shooting from the hip.
01-30-2010, 12:14 PM   #12

Original Poster
If you have time, go manual. Shoot landscapes at F/8, ISO 400 or lower.

Street shooting is fun. People fascinate me.

What *I* do is put the camera in A mode, f/11, ISO 1600, and manual focus.

I choose f/11 so that I can get more of the shot in focus -- increases the 'keepers' rate. I set the focus manually to a specific distance, then shoot from the hip whenever someone interesting walks into the 'in focus field'. I pick a high ISO because I like the grain for B&W street shots, and it allows for very fast shutter speeds, which is helpful when shooting from the hip.
thanx, I'll try that out today and post some pics later.
01-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #13

Wow, thanks guys for the responses.

This is actually a really interesting thread.

Has anyone played with the Digital Filters yet... like Toy Camera?
01-31-2010, 12:37 AM   #14

Original Poster
Here is my first "serious" shot. I took like a bagillion pictures today but I think this is the best one.

01-31-2010, 12:43 AM   #15

love it! Jealous, too. Im in Chicago =(