Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2010, 03:40 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
LBA therapy

Not sure if the title makes sense, but it's 5:30am and I haven't slept yet.

Potential crack: an indoor zoom with which to capture images of quick toddlers, and less toddler blur. The kit lens doesn't cut it.

I was coveting the 16-50 for a while, but can't be bothered with the potential drama and crap warranty for that price. And from what I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong- it's cheaper), the 16-45 will not be suitable for my needs. Soooo...

Will this option, along with 8% Bing Cashback, be a good enough reason to end this pursuit and find a different lens to covet?

Drug Dealer

Also, are there any duties to pay for importing from Canada to the US?

Please and thank you.

01-30-2010, 03:52 AM   #2
Damn Brit

I don't think there will be any duties to pay but I think when it comes to paying duty, it's a lottery.
Depending on what camera you have (ie useable high ISO) f/2.8 might still be a little on the slow side.
The Tamron is a pretty good lens by all accounts. You could also look out for the discontinued Sigma 24-60 EX DG f/2.8, you can probably find one for $250-$300.
01-30-2010, 03:57 AM   #3

Original Poster
K100D. Thank you.
01-30-2010, 04:02 AM   #4
Damn Brit

I've had some success with my Sigma 24-60 wide open at ISO 800 on K20 and K10.
F/2.8 is going to be borderline but it's the fastest you're going to get in a zoom. If you have fairly good light, you might be ok.

01-30-2010, 04:11 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you are fine going with the Tamron and Prodigital 2000. I have purchased several lenses from them and they have always come to me in good shape. Just know, that if you have trouble with your order, calle, don't e mail. For some reason they answer calls quickly, but seldom respond to e mails. I have never paid any tax on the lenses that I bought, so don't expect any trouble there.
01-30-2010, 04:21 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips. Noted.
01-30-2010, 06:41 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi neighbor, (bronx here) You might also want to think about a fast prime in the 28mm to 50mm range. If you can find one, the FA 35mm F2.0 is a great indoor lens, and faster by a stop than the Tamron. If your budget is bigger, think about the FA 43mm ltd or even the FA 31mm ltd, tho the latter lens is a bit on the expensive side. If you don't mind manual focus there are a whole slew of "A", "M" and "K" lenses in the 28-50mm focal lengths that can be had relatively inexpensively.

NaCl(just to enable your LBA a bit)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 01-30-2010 at 06:42 AM. Reason: spelling
01-30-2010, 07:13 AM   #8
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hi neighbor, (bronx here) You might also want to think about a fast prime in the 28mm to 50mm range. If you can find one, the FA 35mm F2.0 is a great indoor lens, and faster by a stop than the Tamron. If your budget is bigger, think about the FA 43mm ltd or even the FA 31mm ltd, tho the latter lens is a bit on the expensive side. If you don't mind manual focus there are a whole slew of "A", "M" and "K" lenses in the 28-50mm focal lengths that can be had relatively inexpensively.

NaCl(just to enable your LBA a bit)H2O

Wholeheartedly agree about the primes. If taking pics inside, you should be able to move around fairly well for a good shot. One thing though is that if taking pics inside, depending on how big the space is, for me sometimes 50 mm becomes a bit long (based on aps-c conversion of course), and 31mm seems just right. While there is no questions about IQ of 42, I just can't get used to that focal length on APS-C for some reasons.

01-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #9

Original Poster
Don't worry. I'll get to that part of the addiction. Right now I want the flexibility of a zoom for parties and group shots and and a line of children on a stage spelling out T-HA-N-K-S-G-I-V-I-N-G or V-A-L-E-N-T-I-N-E without having to change lenses to zero in on the individual letters and the heart they tacked onto the end to accommodate the extra kid in the lineup. I just purchased an M-28/2.8 yesterday so I'll get a feel for whether I want something a bit tighter or wider. I suspect that I'll want both.
01-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #10
Inactive Account

There won't be any duties to pay but beware of Extra charges from carriers other than the postal service. UPS for instance may try and charge you a handling fee for bringing your item through customs. It will come (if they do it) in a separate mailing after they've made delivery as a bill. Pay it if you want, I never have, and they still deliver to my house. Still though, your best bet from Canada will be postal.

RE the 16-50.. Pass it by if you like for whatever reason you choose. All I can say is that mine has never failed me, in nearly 3 years. Sometimes it sits in the bag for a couple months and sometimes it's used daily (both of which have been speculated as causes for SDM failure). If you're using a K100d (?) I don't think it would be an issue anyway until you upgrade the camera body. Could be wrong about that though. Had the 16-45 for awhile, didn't like it, replaced it with the 16-50 and so far, couldn't be happier. YMMV

Good luck,

01-30-2010, 05:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

There is no duty for photo equipment going to or from U.S.A. or Canada. Private carriers like UPS often (as in always) hit you with custom brokerage fees. USPS and Canada Post don't always charge them. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. It's kind of like playing Russian roulette... So far, I've been hit only once by postal services, but UPS and other private carriers have always charged the brokerage fees, and they are horrendous.
01-31-2010, 09:49 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, purchased a lens from Henery's and it was delivered just fine, with no additional service charge by the carrier.

On the topic of ambient indoors shooting, I would just get a flash. I acquired a FA31, long story, great lens, but (and it's probably just me and my lack of skill), at below f2.8 the depth of field is pretty thin. The cure (for me) is f4 along with some additional light (or a higher ISO) - hence the flash suggestion.
01-31-2010, 04:06 PM   #13

Original Poster
I have a flash. 8, in fact, if anyone wants to buy a new 540...

The kit lens hunts too much, even with flash. Too many missed moments and too much noise. I need instant gratification if I can have it.

Last edited by mulanrouge; 01-31-2010 at 04:19 PM.
02-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mulanrouge Quote
...<SNIP>...
Also, are there any duties to pay for importing from Canada to the US?

Please and thank you.
NAFTA makes photographic lenses exempt from duty in either direction. You will be required to pay G(ouge) and S(crew) T(ax). The post offices generally pass things through without charging tax up to $100 value. UPS charges a lot for passing things through customs. I have not used FedEx for a while, but expect them to be the same.

As for the DA* 16-50/2.8 which causes much panic and persperation among my fellow Pentaxians, I got my k10 and DA 16-50 in November 2007. The 16-50 has taken 44% of my images since then. I'm happy with it. You can check out some shots on my Flickr site.