Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2010, 09:14 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
With a little pping you can coaxe a little more from the 18-250 so it' damned close to the FAR more expensive 17-70
FWIW, not sure what country this refers to, but in the US, the 18-250 and 17-70 are quite similar in price - assuming you can find the former. Both around $450, typically. Not that this is a ringing endorsement of the 17-70 - you'd actually hope it was cheaper considering the 18-250 is presumably close to f/4 at 70mm, and quality appears at least somewhat comparable.

02-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Yeah it's closer to $750 here in Canada. Yeah the 18-250 is f/4.5ish at 70mm.
02-01-2010, 09:50 AM   #18
Forum Member

From my traveling experience, even if I take a bunch of lens with me, I end up using only one a day, or changing lens very few times.

Ultimately, it all comes down to your shooting preferences and the place you go travel. If I go to some paradise island or mountain, probably I'll want an ultrawide angle to do some landscape work. If I go to a busy city, probably I'll want a normal zoom or a 50mm prime.

It also depends if I'm traveling alone or what time do I have to photograph. I shoot a lot, but if I have to decide between boring the hell out of who I'm traveling with or simply enjoy the ride and take only some casual snaps, I'll take the second alternative: I enjoy life more than photography!

That sayd, a super-zoom lens can be very handy, and if you have the money for it, don't hesitate. But bear in mind it has limitations, either in optical quality or for being a slow lens.
02-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I always see "slow lens" as a concern with superzooms but they are about half a stop slower than consumer zooms, bugger all in other words.

02-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
I always see "slow lens" as a concern with superzooms but they are about half a stop slower than consumer zooms, bugger all in other words.
I don't use consumer zooms
02-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
FWIW, I see Prodigital2000 - which I believe is a Canadian dealer - has the 17-70 for $520.

But I'd still put it dead last among the options I'd be considering if I were a zoom user. First choice for me would be 18-55 + 50-200, with the asusmption the 18-55 would do the bulk fo the work and be nice and light. Next choice would be the 18-250 for the slight extra convenience at the expense of much greater weight on the camera. Next choice would be the 18-55 + 55-300 combo - although everyone agrees the 55-300 is better than the 50-200, I'm not dissatisfied enough with the 50-200 to be willing to put up with a doubling in weight. If I were going to be willing to greatly increase of the main lens I used, I'd pick the Tamron 28-75 or 17-50 over the 17-70 for the extra speed.

But as it is, I'm happier with a handful of small primes than *any* of these zooms.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 02-02-2010 at 12:59 PM.
02-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Here’s an out there suggestion. Buy a Canon G11 and a FA43. Take all that kit along with the Kx, 18-55 & 50-200 on your holiday. You’ll then be set for whatever situation arises and can vary what you choose to carry day to day depending on your needs.

Last edited by twitch; 02-01-2010 at 09:20 PM.
02-02-2010, 12:24 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Are you going to photograph (or at least hope to produce nice shots to print), or are you going to just travel and take some snaps as well?

If it's the former, my opinion would be to use decent gear. Which depends on what focal lengths etc you use. Some photographers would take amazing shots with just a 30mm f/1.4 or similar. Some would even take amazing ones with a point and shoot. If you want to cover a range of situations, I would still urge you to get decent zooms or a range of primes.

The 17-70 f/4 is meant to be OK, covers a wide to short tele focal length, and gives you f/4.

Changing lenses is part of a DSLR set up. If you have problems with it, I would suggest practising changing them. That sounds a bit silly but it can be a very good skill. Even a 'standard range' zoom can be super useful if you can exploit the different focal lengths. I personally steer well clear of super-zooms etc due to image quality, lens speed and focus times.

Here's some travel stuff I did recently:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/84318-travel-three-weeks...east-asia.html

It's 90% with a Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8. I found I didn't have to change lenses much, as I'm accustomed to using those focal lengths, and could use my feet. Although occasionally I needed wider or longer. I also wouldn't have got some shots without f/2.8.
Now I've got a decent tele and am getting an f/3.5 wide to aid the set up.

02-02-2010, 01:18 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Some of those are amazing!
02-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rieux Quote
Some of those are amazing!
Thanks very much.

I hope it shows what you can do with a limited focal range, if you know that focal range well and how to utilise it. If I had a super zoom, I'm sure it'd make me lazy, and I'd miss shots due to speed, as well as being unhappy with IQ. That's the trade off for having all that focal length at your finger-tips.
02-03-2010, 11:41 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How much is simplicity worth?

IMO, the main question is what your goals are. For travel, simplicity is golden.

I own a bunch of lenses but recently took a trip with just the 18-250 and found the simplicity of having just the camera and one lens to deal with quit freeing. I'm leaving on a 10 day trip tomorrow and will just take that lens and a 50mm 1.7 with me for candid low light shots. But I'll only walk out the door with the camera and one lens, which ever I choose. For quick travel that's freedom. BTW, I looked at sample photos from a lot of lenses and for its mid range, the 18-250 is sharper than any kit lens from any manufacturer.

On the other hand, when I pre-plan a location shoot locally, I'll often use a prime or three. I'll have scouted the location, determined my approximate needs and most importantly, won't generally be out all day having to schlep around a big (heavy) bag full of gear. The problem with carrying a lot of lenses is not so much the hassle of changing them, or even the dust. Practice can minimize both those concerns. It's just not as enjoyable for me to put more energy into lugging gear than being free to just shoot with what's on the camera.

In the studio, I shoot with primes. But then everything is on a shelf and I don't have to haul around an arsenal of lenses.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend A City in Photographs 365
02-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #27
Inactive Account

I used to carry 16-50 and 50-135. Nice kit, awesme glass but they were too damn heavy. I remember wanting to throw my camera away after spending 12 hours on foot in Tokyo. Then at home, over the past two years, I noticed that I take less and less photos and I realized... I was sick and tired of carrying a lens that weighs almost as much as the body! I sold both lenses (had them since the very first time they came out). I bought me a Voigtlander 40mm and I noticed that my keepers went up, my overall photo count went up. Why? CV40 doesn't weigh anything!

So, to get to the point, my (future) travel kit will be CV20, CV40 and either CV58 or DA70. I will buy CV40 when I go to Japan next month, it's almost a $100 cheaper than here; Gandy is insane with his mark up on that lens.

For me, it all came down to weight. Sure, my old zooms were awesome, but I couldn't pocket them. Two primes fit my pocket.

PS Why did I not go for the DA primes? AF on my k10d just blows. Body has been for "recalibration" and it still blows. Since I don't plan on buying a new body any time soon, I decided to go with MF lenses (and one of them is cheaper).
02-08-2010, 05:04 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Every response is going to reflect the writer's preferences. "If all you've got is a 75-200, everything will look like a tele subject." I've mentioned before that when I bought my K20D, my lens set included only the DA 18-250, DA 10-17, and FA 50/1.4 -- and that although I've since bought 150+ lenses, those are still what I use most, what I carry in my shoulder bag wherever I go. The 18-250 is a great walkaround; the 10-17 satisfies my ultrawide needs; the 50/1.4 handles low-light. I may devote some days to other lenses: classic or fast primes, exotic zooms, macro with ringlight, etc. But the 18-250 produces 90%+ of my shots, and the 10-17 and 50/1.4 handle almost everything else, and for me, those three are a great travel set.
02-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Again, it depends on what you need - if you're there to just travel and take some snaps, a super-zoom (and its inherent compromises) is really aimed at you. If you're there to photograph, I think a super-zoom doesn't cut it.

QuoteOriginally posted by mystic cowboy:
IMO, the main question is what your goals are. For travel, simplicity is golden.

I own a bunch of lenses but recently took a trip with just the 18-250 and found the simplicity of having just the camera and one lens to deal with quit freeing. I'm leaving on a 10 day trip tomorrow and will just take that lens and a 50mm 1.7 with me for candid low light shots. But I'll only walk out the door with the camera and one lens, which ever I choose. For quick travel that's freedom.
Simplicity doesn't necessarily mean you need a super-zoom. I often just go out with a 24-60mm f/2.8 Sigma. I'd rather it than a super-zoom, because I don't want the IQ compromises of a super-zoom, I want f/2.8, and I can work with 24-60mm.

QuoteOriginally posted by herzzreh:
I used to carry 16-50 and 50-135. Nice kit, awesme glass but they were too damn heavy. I remember wanting to throw my camera away after spending 12 hours on foot in Tokyo.
... For me, it all came down to weight. Sure, my old zooms were awesome, but I couldn't pocket them. Two primes fit my pocket.
Primes will certainly give you the IQ (and speed) if you can use the single focal length. As herzzreh pointed out, size and weight are also big advantages if you need or want small and light.
Although I'm looking at getting one or two primes, that's based primarily on the small size (which is less intrusive for street photography) and not on weight issues. I'm used to hand-holding my f/2.8 zoom a lot, and I don't mind going out for a day with it. A good bag for a tele or whatever helps too.

QuoteOriginally posted by riorico:
But the 18-250 produces 90%+ of my shots
As riorico said, we are reflecting personal preferences. I know if I went out with a superzoom, I'd throw a lot away due to IQ, and miss more due to the slow maximum apertures and focus times. I simply would not travel with a superzoom. I need speed, IQ, fast focus. If have other needs, by all means consider super-zooms.