Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
Inactive Account

amazon purchase

before i buy my camera off of amazon i want to know has anyone else bought cameras from amazon ? like these kits seem a little weird to me, like does the camera come in the box or is it just something someone put together and i will have to buy manuals and straps and cables later on or it all comes like its suppose to?

like the kit i may buy comes with : Pentax K-x 12.4MP Digital SLR w/ and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Lens (Red) & Pentax 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED Lens (Black) + 8GB + Case + Two (2) Protective Filters + Rapid AC Charger + 8PK Rechargeable Batteries

01-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Raylon

I have bought 3 cameras off Amazon, including my K200, but I would probably never buy one of those kits, they are not directly through Amazon, if what I'm thinking of is the same thing you are looking at. The stuff they include in those kits sometimes look like complete junk, you are probably better off buying the real deal.
01-30-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yeah the red K-x is only offered as a single lens kit, so the 55-300 is from either another dual lens kit (if it is the DA L version) or the standard 55-300mm lens (non-L version, the L version designating it is the simplified kit lens). I wouldnt bother with this either, all of the rest of the bundled stuff is probably junk (feel free to post a link so that we can give a better analysis).
01-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
heres the link - Amazon.com: Pentax K-x 12.4MP Digital SLR w/ and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Lens (Red) & Pentax 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED Lens (Black) + 8GB + Case + Two (2) Protective Filters + Rapid AC Charger + 8PK Rechargeable Batteries: Willoughby's Established 1898

01-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
Raylon

Looks like some crappy batteries, charger, and a really small case. Probably a Class 2 SD card. Overpriced too. You can ge the black version with both lenses for $650, and I know that the stuff in that package isn't with $250.
01-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would I buy that?, most likely not. Adding extra crap to sweeten the deal or making it sound like you are getting something special, that most likely is marginal in performance, has always turned me off.
Just my opinion.

Cheers, Mike.
01-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
Raylon

Oh by the way i would go witha 16 or larger GB card. I have an 8 for my K200 at only 10 MP, and I can only fit around 371 RAW photos, which, if you are planning a long day, you may need more. Then again, you could buy multiples, which is also a good option.
01-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you look at the ad it also states where the purchase is actually coming from. In your case, Willoughby's. You can look at resellersratings to find out more about the seller if your inclined but I believe Amazon does have added guaranties also.

I just looked at B&HPhoto and they are selling the kit for $718.99. Doesn't have the 2 dollar case and batteries though.

01-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Resellerratings.com

Its a good idea to check out any online retailer at ResellerRatings.com. Here's their entry for Willoughby's:

Willoughby's - willoughbys.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

They got a 7.03 out of 10. Not bad, not good.

By comparison, B & H gets a 9.72. Adorama gets a 9.41. These are the gold standard.

Broadway Photo, one of a number of Brooklyn-based outfits known for less-than-stellar customer service, gets a 1.48, so Willoughby's, at 7.03, is not down there with the worst of them, but its not quite up with the best, either.

I think I'd stick with B & H for $718.95. That case, batteries, and SD card are not worth $180.

As far as SD card sizes, I use mostly 4GB cards in my K10D and I usually shoot RAW + JPEG. Each image takes about 16MB. SD cards have been known to fail. With 4GB cards, a failed card can't take ALL my images with it. However, its up to you.
01-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It probably isn't a Bad kit but as others have said you can do much better. I actually stay away from these 'kits' because the stuff included is usually reject stuff. IOW, most wouldn't buy the items included in the kit. If you shop around you can certainly do better for the 2 lens kit and have plenty to spare to get decent batteries (seems to be a Must with the Kx), a good charger, a bag that will actually hold your stuff, etc. The only extra I see in the kit that I have any experience with is the card. I've had a Transcend 8Gb for years and never a problem with it. Can't tell if that one is a class 6 however.

Sets like this give you a lot of packaging to open and little else. Another good for selling kits like this is Cameta Camera. The extras are rarely worth the extra coin.

Good luck and enjoy your Kx when you get it..

01-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback I see the black kits everywhere cheaper but I don't want the black cam I like to stick out a tad. i see now that the color cameras dont come with dual kits so i will have to purchase the other items separately.

Last edited by LosHollyBeach; 01-30-2010 at 05:47 PM.
01-30-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
Damn Brit

Sometimes those kits are the cheapest price at the time as compared to just the camera and lens kit. I remember when I bought my Sigma 10-20, I went for one of these kits because it was the cheapest option.

Yes the batteries are a no name brand but even if they aren't effective in the camera they certainly won't damage it and I'm sure you have other things like flashlights that you could use them in. Just don't factor in the extras you get when pricing it.
01-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #13

Words of warning. A lot of these packages include a tripod. Do not use it. Its made from a cheap plastic that dries out quickly (thin) and will crack with your camera on the tripod smashing your brand new gear. A good cheap tripod is the Slik 700DX pro. Its less then 150.00 and very heavy. You can find it on amazon or any camera store.

Also do not buy the lens cleaning packages that are setup in the same way that these camera packages are presented. They also can damage your lens/camera body. Amazon is a good place to buy gear. Just stay away from third party vendors unless its b&h, andorama or some of the other big camera stores that sell on the site.
01-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Amazon shipped my camera in two days for an amazing price. I am totally satisfied.
01-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I just bought my K-x 55-300 kit from Amazon and I'm very happy with my purchase. I've bought a lot of things through Amazon, but I always make sure that the item is sold by Amazon instead of some store. That way, I get the super-saver free shipping.

Anything that isn't sold by Amazon will come from a MarketPlace Merchant. I once bought a refurb Kitchen Aid coffee grinder from a MarketPlace merchant. It didn't work right, and I've read lots of stories of troublesome purchases when dealing with the MarketPlace vendors.

In my case I got really lucky. I was able to send the grinder back to Kitchen Aid, who sent me a brand new one because they were out of refurbs.

I think those combined kits are a bad deal. they always includes some tripod and cleaning kit that's worthless. Better to assemble your own kit after asking some questions and getting some advice on the forums.