Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2010, 12:20 PM   #1

Tele vs. rear converter

I understand what a tele converter is - it extends the range of the lens. I see references to a "rear converter". Is this a different thing and, if so, in what way? Thanks.

01-31-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Same thing. I guess to differentiate them from the really cheap and mostly to-be-avoided filter-thread-mounted front converters that you might see people using with P&S or video cameras.
01-31-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
tele converter, rear concerter or extender/tele extender are all different denominations for the same thing. As Marc wrote, rear converter might be a differentiator against those cheap front-mounted converters and tele extender is Canon's name for the tele converter.

Ben
01-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

As they said..and welcome to the forums Walter Sobchak!

01-31-2010, 07:36 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks. I thought there might be more to it than that, because I think I've seen both on eBay, each bearing the Pentax name but one identified as "teleconverter" and the other as "rear converter". Maybe I'm thinking of another brand. Thanks for the help.
11-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
TC vs Rear Converter

Thought I'd resurrect this old post because of some confusion (to me, at least) caused by the manual that comes with the Pentax-F 1.7x AF "Adapter" - which I just bought and am trying to learn how to best use it.

The manual specifically states "This adapter cannot be used as a rear converter......

So, it would appear, that, at least in the minds of the Pentax folks, that there IS, in fact a difference between an "adapter" and a "rear converter". Does anyone know what that difference might be?? Thanks.
11-15-2010, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Thought I'd resurrect this old post because of some confusion (to me, at least) caused by the manual that comes with the Pentax-F 1.7x AF "Adapter" - which I just bought and am trying to learn how to best use it.

The manual specifically states "This adapter cannot be used as a rear converter......

So, it would appear, that, at least in the minds of the Pentax folks, that there IS, in fact a difference between an "adapter" and a "rear converter". Does anyone know what that difference might be?? Thanks.
the SMC-F 1.7x AF Adaptor is, for all purposes a teleconverter or rear converter (as pentax called them once)

In my mind an "adaptor" is something with no optics, a converter is something with optics.
11-15-2010, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here is how Pentax used to advertise their adapters.

Name:  converters.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  122.3 KB

Rear converters could be used with manual focus cameras, the AF Adapter required an AF body.

11-15-2010, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote

SOmetimes manufacturers use different names for the same thing:

tele converter = rear converter (Pentax nomenclature) = tele extender (Canon nomenclature)

On the other hand the 1.7 AF-adapter was indded not meant to be used as a simple tele converter or rear converter, not the least, because its focusing movement is somewhat limiting. Pentax discouraged to use it that way very outspokenly, when it was released. That does not rule out its usefulness as a simple tele converter.

Ben
11-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Thanks Lowell, Boris and Ben - clears it up for me!!
12-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The jargon is confusing, eh? We see many 'adapters' for fitting one brand of lens to another brand of camera, and some have optical elements, and some are just tubes with connectors. We see behind-the-lens 'adapters' referred to as converters or extenders. We see front-of-the-lens auxiliary optical units, often for tele or wide or macro use, referred to as adapters (I call them strap-ons). We see long lenses referred to as 'teles' even though they don't contain an internal teleconverter optical group. Et cetera. I blame the marketers for not standardizing the language.

I'll propose some standardization. A behind-the-lens optical unit that effectively lengthens the focal length is a teleconverter or telextender if both sides have the same mount, or it's an optical adapter if the mounts are different. A behind-the-lens unit without optics is a physical adapter if it has different mounts on both sides and doesn't interfere much with infinity focus, or it's a macro tube if it DOES kill infinity focus. A front-of-the-lens optical unit is a strap-on, whether for tele or wide or macro or special-effect uses -- it's a filter if it doesn't change the effective focal length. A front-of-the-lens unit without optics is a lens hood or an adapter ring.

There are porbably other possibilities, but I've just been called to lunch and must end now.