Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2010, 03:29 PM   #1

Last question before I buy... Kx or K7, which would you buy?

Wow, I am so confused... kept reading today jumping between the Kx and Canon 500D.

Almost pushed the button on Kx and then put the K7 into the equation.

So, did some comparisons, especially using DPReview and came to this conclusion.

Kx definitely has cleaner high ISO images. Smaller package. Video OK too.

K7 has better build, great system, little faster, better screen, external mic (could be useful).

So, my question, if you were buying today, would you go with a Kx or K7?

01-31-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Depends on your needs and budget.
If i need to shoot high ISO, then I'll get the K-x for sure.
If I had the money and need weather-sealing, then I might go for the K-7.
Those are actually the most important of the features that separate the two.
The other differences, I can live with or without.
A lot of people love the K-7 but would rather have the K-x sensor in it.
You can draw your conclusion from that as to which is important for you..high ISO performance or weather-sealing 'coz they are pretty much level with the other features like video, fps, a little additional small feature here and there.
01-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DavoMrMac Quote

So, my question, if you were buying today, would you go with a Kx or K7?
I'd still go with the K7. I can play whack-a-mole with it's noise and get it to the point it is OK for my needs, and I prefer the ergonomics and build feel of the K7.
The extra couple of frames per second is nice, it makes the camera more responsive in single frame shooting, and if one feels the need to shoot in bursts, the more the merrier.

I'm one of the ones who would like a K7 with a K-x sensor, but moving backwards in sensor resolution might not be such a great idea, so what I would really like is a 15-18 mp camera with a sensor that can do what the K-x sensor can do.
01-31-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There are a lot of these threads around so have a look.

Personally, I'm getting a K-7 and didn't consider a K-x. I need the speed and control. I wouldn't consider not having two control wheels, top LCD screen etc. Noise-wise, K-7 is comparable to D300S and 7D if you shoot RAW. K-7 is still very small for an advanced DSLR.

As far as I see it, the only advantage of the K-x is better high ISO performance.

If you don't need the advantages of the K-7 go with the K-x and spend your money on lenses instead.

Last edited by CWyatt; 01-31-2010 at 05:25 PM.
01-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Forum Member

I would get a Kx and invest saved money into a good lens, an external flash, or a tripod. Both Kx and K-7 have an excellent sensor (maybe not K-7 for very high ISOs) for taking stunning images. Yet, you will need quality items as above in order to fully utilize the camera body's potential.

When you grow out of Kx in a year or so, you should be able to find a k-7 at a very reasonable price.
01-31-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaJP Quote
I would get a Kx and invest saved money into a good lens, an external flash, or a tripod. Both Kx and K-7 have an excellent sensor (maybe not K-7 for very high ISOs) for taking stunning images. Yet, you will need quality items as above in order to fully utilize the camera body's potential.

When you grow out of Kx in a year or so, you should be able to find a k-7 at a very reasonable price.
This is a good point too!
02-01-2010, 12:05 AM   #7

if this is your first DSLR then the Kx will be more than enough camera for you. I just got mine a few days ago and have barely scratched the surface.
02-01-2010, 02:42 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I guess I don't like wasting money.
So my worry was, buy the Kx and then want (or think I am missing out on) the better K-7.

I think what I am going to do is buy the Kx and enjoy it. Then if I get the urge later on, buy the K-7 successor body only, or perhaps the K-7 at a good price. And only if I find I really need a particular feature that I am missing.