Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Question regarding types of Focusing and Focusing Points

I'm hoping that someone who has a Nikon or Canon in addition to Pentax can answer this question.

In another thread just posted I attended a Rocky Mountain School of Photography this weekend. One of the sessions I attended was Beyond the Basics - it went into great detail on different functions of the camera. I have a couple of questions that I'm looking for clarification with regards to the Pentax brand.

They discussed Types of Focusing - they referenced Manual and Automatic, they recommended using Servo for certain types of shooting. Would this be the same as the AP.C setting on the Pentax's?

Another area I'm looking to clear up is Auto Focus Points
They referenced three modes - Single, Group and All Area. I'm assuming that the SEL on Pentax would be the same as the Group?? Although in the K-7 manual it references setting it to one of eleven points. I wouldn't call this a group but more like a roaming single point? If anyone could help to clear this up it would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, if SEL is considered to be the Group Setting on Pentax I would appreciate any help with the proper use of this function. I have to admit that I have only used the single or auto mode, but after taking the weekend workshop I feel a lot more comfortable using more of the manual modes on the camera which I guess is a good thing.

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions....

01-31-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stl09 Quote
They discussed Types of Focusing - they referenced Manual and Automatic, they recommended using Servo for certain types of shooting. Would this be the same as the AP.C setting on the Pentax's?
Yes. But be aware that this is the absolute weakest part of Pentax's AF system.

QuoteOriginally posted by stl09 Quote
They referenced three modes - Single, Group and All Area. I'm assuming that the SEL on Pentax would be the same as the Group?? Although in the K-7 manual it references setting it to one of eleven points. I wouldn't call this a group but more like a roaming single point? If anyone could help to clear this up it would be greatly appreciated.
Right — no "group" option. "Sel" lets you manually select which single point is to be used.