Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Working with RAW format

Hey guys, so I've noticed that images taken in RAW format are larger in size than Jpegs. I know this to mean that they contain more information. However, I've also noticed that when using the included Pentax editing software, the jpegs extracted from PEF files are much smaller in size than those taken straight from the camera. I can't seem to find any place that mentions compression settings in the software, and I don't have anything else at the moment to convert PEF to an easier to distribute format.

Any advice or simple fix for this matter?

02-01-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does it really matter what physical size the pictures are? None of that is terribly relevant to picture quality.

If you take a JPG from your camera, open it in Photoshop, and save it with the maximum JPG quality, you'll end up with a file that's bigger in size, and yet its quality will have dropped because you'll have re-compressed it yet again.

You didn't mention what camera you have, or which version of the Pentax software is installed, so I'll assume it's the latest version of DCU4 (4.11). If so, when you've got the PEF file displayed, have made the necessary adjustments, and click "Save As", the save dialog has a drop-down for selecting the JPG quality. It's a choice from 1 to 4 stars. Those correspond exactly to the quality settings on the camera.
02-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
Hey guys, so I've noticed that images taken in RAW format are larger in size than Jpegs. I know this to mean that they contain more information. However, I've also noticed that when using the included Pentax editing software, the jpegs extracted from PEF files are much smaller in size than those taken straight from the camera. I can't seem to find any place that mentions compression settings in the software, and I don't have anything else at the moment to convert PEF to an easier to distribute format.

Any advice or simple fix for this matter?
The jpeg that you are extracting is the preview jpeg and highly compressed. As far as software, there are many excellent free programs:Irfanview, Faststone, Lightbox are all very good.
02-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
However, I've also noticed that when using the included Pentax editing software, the jpegs extracted from PEF files are much smaller in size than those taken straight from the camera. I can't seem to find any place that mentions compression settings in the software
I don't know what version you use to be able to tell you where to find the compression settings, but note the "extract" function has nothing to do with conversion - it simply hands you the small, highly compressed JPEG file that is already present in the file for preview purposes. That would *not* normally be what you want, unless you are specifically looking for something quick but low quality. Assuming you want an actual conversions of the raw data, you want the actual conversion command, not the jpeg extraction command - but again, the specifics of how to do that differ between versions.

02-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Does it really matter what physical size the pictures are? None of that is terribly relevant to picture quality.

If you take a JPG from your camera, open it in Photoshop, and save it with the maximum JPG quality, you'll end up with a file that's bigger in size, and yet its quality will have dropped because you'll have re-compressed it yet again.

You didn't mention what camera you have, or which version of the Pentax software is installed, so I'll assume it's the latest version of DCU4 (4.11). If so, when you've got the PEF file displayed, have made the necessary adjustments, and click "Save As", the save dialog has a drop-down for selecting the JPG quality. It's a choice from 1 to 4 stars. Those correspond exactly to the quality settings on the camera.
I have a k-x with the software version at 4.10. But yes, doing "Save As" seems to do exactly what I was looking for...

Thanks guys.