Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #16

Original Poster
Will a Sigma 28-70 1:2.8-4 DG & X1.4 AF Tele Converter lenses fit my K2000?

Is this lense going to much better than my Pentax 18-55?

Anyone know of a Beginner's SLR photography class offered near Romeo Michigan?

Thanks again.

02-03-2010, 03:42 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by plucci Quote

Thanks again.

It'll fit and be better than your kit lens for gym purposes but I worry about its speed when extended. Have you considered the Tamron SP XR DI 28-75mm? It is a highly regarded constant f:2.8 so would be more useful in the gym.

In general one would prefer lenses that are fast at the long end because of camera shake. For gym use you probably should also look at how sharp the lens is when it is wide open at the long end; this is because when you are at the long end there's a good chance you'll want to crop the photo a bit (otherwise you wouldn't have had the lens fully zoomed.)

Dave

ON EDIT: Here's a quote from a review at http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-28-70mm-f-2.8-EX-DG-Lens-Review.aspx
"The Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Lens is very soft wide open - especially in the upper half of the focal length range. I don't consider the results useable at and above 50mm until the lens is stopped down to at least f/4 where the full frame corners are still soft. Performance at f/5.6 is better. This lens performs best at 28mm where the results are decent."
Is this the lens you are talking about? It is a constant F2.8 I think.

Last edited by newarts; 02-03-2010 at 04:03 AM.
02-03-2010, 08:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by plucci Quote

Thanks again.
Apart from what Newarts already wrote. With that lens, you are at an aperture of f/4 already at the long end (though I would not even consider 70mm to be long). Add the 1.4x tc and you arrive at f/5.6. That's not good for indoor sports. Also, you may find, that the AF does not work as fast at it could be with an f/5.6 lens under poor lighting.

I would even prefer an older fully manual prime lens over such a combo, if it is faster. If you don't want to invest into a 70-200/2.8, the Pentax A 70-210/4 would be a useable alternative. It is a stop slower, but still faster than the combo you mentioned, has more reach and very decent image quality. It was already mentioned in this thread and you should consider it seriously.

Ben
02-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not to mention, image quality of a basic zoom like that when combined with a TC is likely to be worse than simply shooting without the TC and cropping. I'd use the 28-70 without TC for now, but probably you'll discover soon enough that it's neither long enough not "fast" enough (eg, that f/4 isn't a large enough aperture to give you a fast enough shutter speed) for some situations, and then you can start looking for other alternatives.

02-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I mentioned the 28-70 because it is reasonably priced and AF. A friend has one and is very happy with it ( Canon mount, not Pentax). That one is a constant f 2.8 and B&H has it in Pentax mount.

As Ben mentioned, a manual will work fine. I use my Taks. Those of us who are older and have shot sports with our manual film cameras, using a MF lens isn't an issue. A manual 50mm or 55 mm can be had for under $50. For school basketball and hockey, you don't need a long telephoto. Finding a fast sharp zoom for these events isn't hard if money isn't an issue. Like many people, I have had to make the best out of what I can afford.

I will agree with Marc, using a TC wouldn't be the best option with that lens. Cropping a little will probably produce a much better result.
02-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I realize manual focus is not for everyone, but FWIW, I find it generally more reliable than AF in many situations, and this would likely be one of them. AF would be too likely to focus on the *wrong* subject, and with my camera at least often hunts and hesitates in the attempt in the relatively low light of indoor sports. There are all sorts of situations where others say they would need AF that I find are exactly the situations where I find I do better by turning it off. Chasing kids (or cats) around the house being a prime example.