Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #1

Have K100D, should I upgrade to k-x or get flash?

First time poster here.
I currently have a Pentax K100D. I have the kit 18-55mm lens, the 55-200mm lens and also the 50mm FA 1.4. The vast majority of the time, I leave the FA 1.4 on the body.
I consider myself a novice. I usually try to put the camera on M mode and try and pick my own aperture and shutter speed. Most of the time it takes me a few tries before I get an acceptable shot.
My wife simply wants good pictures and has no patience for Av or M mode, she puts it on the green Auto setting and fires away. With the FA 1.4 lens on the body, while indoors, Auto mode shoots in around 2.0 or 2.4 aperture, which makes the picture she's trying to shoot unintentionally out of focus.

So, my question to all you experts is this.
To make the camera easier for the wife, and in turn make my life easier so I don't have to listen to the 'why is this shot fuzzy' constantly, should I buy an external flash?
or, would the new Pentax K-X along with my FA1.4 lens be a miracle worker ?

Thanks all,
Wonderful community.
Jeff

02-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say get the external flash. I do prefer the look of a natural light photo, but if the light is limited, you run up against some tough choices to get the shot. Auto modes have a hard time with those choices. A flash gives you many more options. A high-end flash (although kind of expensive) has enough adjustability to make excellent photos without the P&S "blast of light" look, although there is a learning curve. I think everyone should have a decent external flash in their kit, unless they only take photos under circumstances where a flash is ruled out.
02-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jab1617 Quote
First time poster here.
I currently have a Pentax K100D. I have the kit 18-55mm lens, the 55-200mm lens and also the 50mm FA 1.4. The vast majority of the time, I leave the FA 1.4 on the body.
I consider myself a novice. I usually try to put the camera on M mode and try and pick my own aperture and shutter speed.
Jeff
As my camera is older than yours (DS), I can't answer your KX question but I have a question for you. Why do you shot in manual?

When I shot film with my ME Super, it had a built-in lightmeter. I choose the ISO (film type) and when I choose the shutter speed (Tv mode), I had to adjust the aperature to the correct exposure. When I choose the aperature (Av mode), I had to adjust the shutter speed to get the correct exposure. Why don't you use Tv or Av mode as your built-in lightmeter and cut down on the guessing?

Tim
02-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The flash is the sensible answer but then you'll hear complaining that it's too big and heavy.

02-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

First time poster here.
Auto mode shoots in around 2.0 or 2.4 aperture, which makes the picture she's trying to shoot unintentionally out of focus.
That aperture doesn't mean OOF shots though. An OOF subject comes from focusing on the wrong thing, or camera shake caused by slow shutter. A low aperture should mean the subject of the photo is in focus, but with a thin DOF. Have you ruled out it's not a focus point setting issue (eg center point only where your wife isn't aware of it), or a low iso setting forcing a slow shutter speed?
02-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
The flash is the sensible answer but then you'll hear complaining that it's too big and heavy.
LOL!
02-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Neither. Get her a P&S of her own.
02-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
Damn Brit

If your wife is mainly taking snapshots, this is a cheap and effective way of getting the most out of the on board flash - Amazon.com: Opteka Universal Soft Screen Flash Diffuser for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, & Kodak On-Camera Pop-Up Flashes: Electronics

At under ten bucks, you could consider getting that for your wife and the K-x for yourself. Then you only need to share lenses.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 02-01-2010 at 06:00 PM.
02-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
"Ditto" is apparently too short.
02-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

My wife simply wants good pictures and has no patience for Av or M mode, she puts it on the green Auto setting and fires away. With the FA 1.4 lens on the body, while indoors, Auto mode shoots in around 2.0 or 2.4 aperture, which makes the picture she's trying to shoot unintentionally out of focus.
Out of focus or motion blur? OOF shoudn't happen unless she is not patient enough to wait for the SR to become active (if it's switched on). Or if there's something wrong with the camera.

As you mention flash, I assume it's low light conditions. You don't mention if you have used the build-in flash. If not, try that first. But I think it's her technique. If you take the picture under the same conditions, are they OK? If that is the case, neither a flash nor a Kx will solve the problem. In my humble opinion.
02-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #11
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Out of focus or motion blur? OOF shoudn't happen unless she is not patient enough to wait for the SR to become active (if it's switched on). Or if there's something wrong with the camera.

As you mention flash, I assume it's low light conditions. You don't mention if you have used the build-in flash. If not, try that first. But I think it's her technique. If you take the picture under the same conditions, are they OK? If that is the case, neither a flash nor a Kx will solve the problem. In my humble opinion.
@OP, you might want to post some examples (with camera settings). It's possible the camera just isn't focusing on what your wife wants it to focus on.
02-02-2010, 04:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

It's a DOF issue for her. Auto sets it at f/2.0 or 2.4. Av or M would allow her to get more depth, but she won't use those modes. I don't believe there's a way to change the Program Line on the K100D like on the higher models, so that's out, and if the Kx doesn't have that ability, I don't know if getting one would help anyway. A flash should work, but she probably won't want to be bothered by the bulk nor with attaching it. Spend $150 on her for the P&S since she doesn't want to be bothered with learning how to use yours correctly, and put the rest towards a nice new lens or other accessory that you want.
02-02-2010, 06:06 AM   #13

Original Poster
thanks

Thanks everyone for the advice. I agree, it is definitely a depth of field issue and I will patiently try to persuade the wife to use the Av or Tv modes.
02-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Don't you guys get it, this is just an excuse to get the K-x..
02-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #15
Igilligan

I giggle a little when any of the above posters are saying to get the flash... If your wife just wants to shoot on Auto... forget PTTL flash on the K100d! She not only will hate the big giant flash on top of the camera but the darn PTTL needs +/- compensation in different situations. One more 'non-auto' thing for her not to like.

I like my Kx, it is a big upgrade over my K100d... but if you are trying to please an auto shooter you should get her a Nikon entry dslr or as others have said, a really good P&S...

I like Damn Brits idea... get her a 5 dollar flash diffuser for the onboard flash and then get yourself a K-x

Sadly she will out shoot you with her new P&S!!! 8^)