Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Proper use of stabilization

RE: Kx in camera stabilization.

Hi.

Not sure if this belongs in the beginner section, but I have some questions about using stabilization. Later in the year, I will be going whale watching on a smallish boat. (About a 40 footer) Should I turn the stabilization off? Or would it be of some help with the rocking of the boat? I am planning on using some fairly high shutter speeds, so Iím thinking I wonít really need the stabilization. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill

02-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I think that SR would still be helpful, although the high-shutter speeds might make the point moot. If your shutter speed is consistently faster than 1/(FL * 1.5), then you can probably skip it, but if not, leave SR on.

If you do leave SR on, don't forget that it isn't instantaneous. You must half-press the shutter and wait for the little hand symbol to appear in the viewfinder. This indicates that SR is stabilized and ready to shoot. Unlike autofocus (AF-S), the camera will allow you to shoot before SR is ready, which can result in blurred shots.
02-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Leave it on, if the camera thinks it's necessary, it will activate it, otherwise it won't.
02-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Leave it on, if the camera thinks it's necessary, it will activate it, otherwise it won't.
Hmmm, I used satbilizer while on a tripod and all my photo turns out blurry. Am very sure that there is totally no movement as i used the 2sec delay for all my shots, which also minimized any shake or movement.

Heard from some expects that while on a very stable mount, eg tripod, if there is no movement, the stablizer sensor will be confused and start searching for movement which results in the blurry picture.

I am not sure how true is that, as I did not have a try yet with my tripod with stablizer off.

02-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
Raylon

You should not use SR when using a tripod. Because there are not movements at all, the camera will 'look' for one, and in doing so, create one. Like you said, it's true. Brit was saying when hand shooting, simply leave it on. No human is stable enough to create blurry images from SR.
02-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by tom_kkh Quote
Hmmm, I used satbilizer while on a tripod and all my photo turns out blurry. Am very sure that there is totally no movement as i used the 2sec delay for all my shots, which also minimized any shake or movement.
SR automatically turns off if you use 2 second timer. Perhaps you should check your diopter or if you were using AF, check for FF/BF.
02-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Unless it's on a tripod, leave it on. If the shutter speed is fast enough, the pictures will be clear, if not SR will help. I don't see a reason for turning it off.
02-02-2010, 01:41 AM   #8

thanks guys, appreciate the valuable inputs.

02-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would echo most here, leave it on except on a tripod, unless you are panning motion.

the panning action causes some blurr as the SR does not understand the difference between panning and shake.
02-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I rather leave it off so I can not forget to wait for the SR to become stable (little hand in viewfinder) and only switch it on when I think I need it; makes me more aware of it.

I'm not 100% in the habit yet but I'm getting there.