Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2010, 03:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter
VincenTC's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Turin, Italy
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 47
exposing to the right

Hi to everybody , please help me.
With my last cameras I worked exposing to the right for having the histogram curve the more toward the highlight, without burning it.
The tendency to underexpose of my K20d is from half to one stop, this is the compensation of most of my shots to have a correct exposure, but, often, it's not enough to compensate up to 2 stops for exposing to the right (I know I can get this on PP, but I'd like more to have this by the shot ): please, how do you do?

02-02-2010, 04:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,563
I find it quite easy with my K10D to press the Ev button and then manipulate the Ev value with my thumb.
It is easy to change per picture.
Depending upon the composition I might do digital preview (that is enabled by an option setting in the K10D).
You get a preview by pushing the power switch to the right.

- Bert
02-02-2010, 05:01 AM   #3
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 144
This is highly dependent on the scene, and sometimes you just have to accept that the scene contains a much larger dynamic range than your camera can capture. A good example is an indoor shot taken on a sunny day. The window comes out white while the room is too dark. Thatís definitely a time when two stops wonít be enough. Thatís just the limitation of the camera.

You can use software and/or functions built into your camera (highlight recovery, shadow recovery, HDR) and you can use a fill flash to brighten the dark areas. Iím sure others will have good advice for you as well.
02-02-2010, 06:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,043
QuoteOriginally posted by VincenTC Quote
Hi to everybody , please help me.
With my last cameras I worked exposing to the right for having the histogram curve the more toward the highlight, without burning it.
The tendency to underexpose of my K20d is from half to one stop, this is the compensation of most of my shots to have a correct exposure, but, often, it's not enough to compensate up to 2 stops for exposing to the right (I know I can get this on PP, but I'd like more to have this by the shot ): please, how do you do?
I never found the K20 to have an especially accurate meter. Having said that, how are you metering? My experience with pre K7 cameras is that center weighted was the most accurate exposure method, but comparing the three methods for accuracy was like deciding which of my dogs had the least offensive breath.
Consequently, my exposure method was manual, press the green button to get the exposure to where the camera thought it was right, take a picture, chimp the histogram, set the exposure from the histogram to give me what I wanted, delete the first image and take a second one.
It wasn't an especially fast way of working, but one has to work within the limitations' of one's equipment.

02-02-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter
VincenTC's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Turin, Italy
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 47
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I never found the K20 to have an especially accurate meter. Having said that, how are you metering? My experience with pre K7 cameras is that center weighted was the most accurate exposure method, but comparing the three methods for accuracy was like deciding which of my dogs had the least offensive breath.
Consequently, my exposure method was manual, press the green button to get the exposure to where the camera thought it was right, take a picture, chimp the histogram, set the exposure from the histogram to give me what I wanted, delete the first image and take a second one.
It wasn't an especially fast way of working, but one has to work within the limitations' of one's equipment.
Center weighted is my normal method, I think that in P mode I have better accurate meter than Av mode.
But I didn't try your manual method , now I think it'll be a good choise for me...
thanks

Thanks to everybody for replays.
02-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member
mithrandir's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,890
Buy a big SD card and bracket your exposures. Pick the one that's best to Post Process.
02-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
Probably the best way to get reliable results with ETTR is to not just point the camera at the scene and then guess how much adjustment might be needed, but rather, point at a *known* value that requires a *known* offset. Like it you point a spot meter directly at the brightest highlight you wish to preserve, meter off that, then add exactly the right number of EV compensation you have previously determined is necessary on your particular camera. Most likely, you won't be able to do that directly in any of the auto modes, but it would be trivial in M mode.
02-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,148
My personal method is to use the highlight "blinkies" as the key to ETTR. I shoot RAW, so the ideal exposure is normally one where small areas of highlights are blinking, but no huge areas are. When developing my RAW images, I generally lose no highlight detail. In trickier lighting, I will bracket, and sometimes use Photomatix to assemble the two best exposures (one for the highlights, the other for the shadow detail) using the Highlight and Shadow option.

02-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 285
In general, I tend to underexpose by 1/3 to 2/3 EV because I really dislike burnt out highlights (on K10D). I usually take some shots with no EV compensation (+-0) and watch the flashing indicators in the preview. Unless there are very bright objects that can't fit into the dynamic range of the camera, I set EV to the negative until there is nothing left flashing.

That is for outdoor or good light condtions. Indoors with very low light, I sometimes even expose to the right. That of course does only make sense if no sufficient shutterspeed can be reached at 0 EV compensation. This does of course not give noise-free images, but sometimes it's the only possibility to get shots without motion blur.
02-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member
mithrandir's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,890
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
My personal method is to use the highlight "blinkies" as the key to ETTR. I shoot RAW, so the ideal exposure is normally one where small areas of highlights are blinking, but no huge areas are. When developing my RAW images, I generally lose no highlight detail. In trickier lighting, I will bracket, and sometimes use Photomatix to assemble the two best exposures (one for the highlights, the other for the shadow detail) using the Highlight and Shadow option.
I have set the saturation and contrast all the way left on my K10D. I have found that the blinkies are much more accurate as to what my RAW file will retain. It makes for horrific JPGs however, but I only shot RAW. Additionally, checking the red, green, blue histograms in tricky light is a must.
02-03-2010, 02:21 AM   #11
Site Supporter
VincenTC's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Turin, Italy
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 47
Original Poster
Thanks my friends,

your competent replies remember how much I still have to learn about photography and on the use of my new camera.

I will try everything, sure...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, pentax help, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Da*16-50 over exposing tunarudi Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 03-24-2010 08:27 AM
K20d under exposing mattyjm Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 11-02-2008 01:44 PM
Tamron 17-50mm Under Exposing wenz Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 09-25-2008 08:22 AM
sigma 28-300mm over exposing? kauaiguy Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 09-18-2008 05:30 PM
exposing for RAW Gooshin Photographic Technique 15 03-25-2008 01:15 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:12 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top