Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #1

K-x Shipping/Warranty questions

Hi All:

I'm new to this forum. In the distant past I had a Spotmatic grafted to me in my job as a journalist. Currently I use a Fuji F30, which I've enjoyed, although I'm getting frustrated with some of its limitations on creative control.

After much research I've decided to return to Pentax land. I will probably get a K-X. I'm very attracted by the current price on Amazon, but they won't ship to Canada, apparently because of manufacturer warranty issues.

I could have the camera shipped to an American address, but if I do this, and later require warranty support, will I run into problems with a cross-border purchase?

02-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I don't know the answer, but I suggest asking Pentax directly via the support section of their website. The last thing you need is to make a purchase based on bad information, and then get stuck with a camera that can't be repaired.
02-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I live in NZ and bought the K-x from B+H in the USA.

Before buying I asked Pentax if the warranty would be honoured in NZ. The answer was yes as long as an "International Warranty" was applied for (no additional cost).
The only restriction was that no extended warranty would be supported (ie. just 1 year warranty - which was fine by me.

When I got my camera I applied for the warranty with my serial numbers etc and the International warranty was posted out to me.

Do suggest you contact Pentax (email /' online form is fine) before buying (they will confirm they can provide International warranty and give you instructions on what they need for application).

Enjoy, its a great camera!
02-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #4

Original Poster
Good advice

Thanks for the input. I submitted an inquiry to Pentax Canada. Their reply was as follows:

Please note that to qualify for warranty repairs, the camera must be purchased through an authorized Canadian dealer. If you are making the purchase outside of Canada, then you would be subject to a $50.00 international warranty fee, should the camera need to come in for service. Also, the item would only have a 1 year warranty.

It looks like I would have to pay the warranty fee only if the camera required warranty service. Given that the 2-lens kit is about $670 Cdn on Amazon, and is about $1000 in local shops, this seems a small price to pay.

02-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #5

Cdn Purchase: KX

Try Pro Digital 2000, they are on e-bay & in Stratford On CDA. Currently listing for $852.97- two year Cdn Warranty & free shipping. I am leery of buying across the border due to UPS surcharges, duty & such. Some of it is fear without experience in photo equipment on my part. I have been disappointed buying auto parts. Maybe someone with real life experience can enlighten us per the ins & outs of buying across the border; ie the hidden costs.
02-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #6

Original Poster
I too, am somewhat leery about cross border shipping. However, my planned scenario is to have the purchase shipped to a friend in the states, whom I will be visiting next month. So the Amazon price still looks extremely good.