Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #1

Using 360FGZ as a day-light fill flash?

Hey all, I am wondering how the 360FGZ performs in day light environment as a fill-flash. In that case, do you use PTTL or just Auto? what's the correct setting that the camera should be in? (i was thinking using Shutter priority with an exposure compensation of -1/3 or 2/3 and then put the flash on full power, havn't had any time to experiment tho)

Thanks!

02-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd use P-TTL over Auto and have the camera set to evaluate the full scene for exposure. If the flash ends up overexposing, decrease the flash EV. The camera should be smart enough, though, to get the flash output right for a fill flash.

Personally, if I have the time, I'd do it all in manual. Meter for the sky, then try a shot with the flash on half-power. If the main subject is over-exposed, decrease the flash output; if underexposed, increase the flash output.
02-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
Forum Member

This is how I do, although I am not sure if this is the correct way.
Power off the flash, meter the background in Av mode (I usually like to control aperture value). Set the aperture value and shutter speed in Manual mode. Turn on the flash and set it P-TTL and high-speed sync mode. Take a test shot and adjust flash output according to how the subject is exposed.
02-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
when in aperture mode, my shutter speed never seems to exceed 1/30 or 1/40, does this problem still exist when you are outdoors?

Thanks!

02-02-2010, 11:56 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blu3ness Quote
when in aperture mode, my shutter speed never seems to exceed 1/30 or 1/40, does this problem still exist when you are outdoors?

Thanks!
Try using the high-speed sync mode. "HS" on the sync switch.
02-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For fill flash I use manual for both camera and flash. Set the aperture to what the flash tells you to set it at based on subject distance. Now set the shutter speed to show 1 stop under exposure on the meter.