Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Forum Member

good deal?

i am a big newb when it comes to buying flashes... can anyone help me please?
i was interested in buying a ring flash so i went to cord camera and the owner told me he owuld sell me promaster macrolume ttl dedicated macro flash for 79.99 (its manual) but i saw it online and it said it was like $150. is it good deal?

02-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Make sure it is for digital. I'm not sure about the ring flash but someone bought me a Promaster flash as a gift a couple of years ago and it would not work on the camera. It turned out that the module that attaches to the camera was for film cameras only. I took it back and (as the idiots in the store didn't have a clue in the first place) got a refund and took my business elsewhere.

The ring flashes are also quite good for portrait shooting so I've heard.
02-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
yeah, i want to do it for portrait, when i was there we tried it on the k-7 and it worked... sort of....
02-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by jolee1990 Quote
yeah, i want to do it for portrait, when i was there we tried it on the k-7 and it worked... sort of....
Define... sort of. If it works, then I would say it is good value.
Now I think back, mine was actually the ring flash. I had asked for mine about the time they had just started producing the digital modules and therefore not so many (idiots who work in a camera store) were aware of them.

02-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
well i think it was just the manual problem.... it kept showing pictures that were over exposed, so i think its was just a manual problem... i think..
well sinec it was manual flash it should be alright right?
02-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
Damn Brit

What aperture and shutter speed was being used on the camera? Over exposure just means too much light is hitting the sensor. The flash doesn't cause that, you do. The power of the flash should also be adjustable but that isn't to do with causing over exposure it's to give you flexibility.
02-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
ah ok! so it would be a good deal to buy it? he said he will sell me the ring flash with a FTM 5000 STD module for 95$ is that good?
and how do you know and whats the difference a flash for digital and film camera?

02-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
Damn Brit

If you put it on your camera and the camera won't trigger the flash, it's not the digital module. That's how I found out.

If you go to Promaster Website, it's quite easy to find the correct module model no. for Pentax digital cameras. IIRC the model no. is on the box but may not be on the module itself.
Just don't hand the money over until you're happy that it works.

Check prices online to see if it's a good deal.
02-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
ok thank you, yeah i checked online and everything shows 150 or 299 ish so i think its a good deal. plus idont have much money so ithink its a good cheap one and i really wanted a ring flash anyway. thank you!