Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
Forum Member

Eneloop Batteries for K2000

Man, I am eating through a bunch of alkalines. Anybody use the Eneloops? Worth getting? Thanks.

02-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Absolutely get the eneloops. Shop around for the best deal, but by all means get them. They will get you a ton of shots and they won't self-discharge.
02-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go for it and you will never repent. Highly recommended. I have 3 sets total 12 pieces.
02-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
2100mAh Maha Imedion Ultra-Low-Discharge AA BATTERIES are great too.

02-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #5

love my eneloops
02-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I'm giving the NiZn batts a shot in my flashes and, if all goes well, will probably get a few sets for the k200d once I run out of lithium power. Batteries themselves are a little cheaper than eneloops though the charger will run you a bit more. But they should give better performance (1.6v vs 1.4V). Search for NiZn or PowerGenix on here or via google. 12 batts and a 1 hour charger for $47.67 on amazon.
02-02-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Have a K-m and use Eneloops. Can't go wrong.

02-03-2010, 05:24 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Eneloops

They used to be quite expensive but now, for whatever reason, they're cheap. Best investment I made for the camera. Got 3 sets and I don't know why, they go on forever. So reliable, they're actually boring. Go for it, you won't regret it.

Last edited by gowerray; 02-03-2010 at 05:24 AM. Reason: typo
02-03-2010, 05:27 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cheapest place I've found locally is actually Costco Canada. Not sure if it's the same in the USA, but worth checking. You can get 2 different packs. Just batteries, or batteries with a charger.
02-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Horseonthefly Quote
I'm giving the NiZn batts a shot in my flashes and, if all goes well, will probably get a few sets for the k200d once I run out of lithium power. Batteries themselves are a little cheaper than eneloops though the charger will run you a bit more. But they should give better performance (1.6v vs 1.4V). Search for NiZn or PowerGenix on here or via google. 12 batts and a 1 hour charger for $47.67 on amazon.
I would not recommend the Nizn batteries over Eneloops, it's got lower capacity 1500mah(list) I've seen tests where it only shows 1200mah. It also has higher self discharge. The only advantage is the higher volts, but I'm not sure why you need the higher volts to begin with.
02-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So far, Eneloops with Maha MH-C 9000 charger are impressing the poop out of me.

www.thomasdistributing.com/maha-mh-c9000-battery-charger.php

Cheers, Mike.
02-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by birdoprey Quote
I would not recommend the Nizn batteries over Eneloops, it's got lower capacity 1500mah(list)
Perhaps, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Eneloops have lower capacity than some other rechargeables, but still manage to last far longer - because they hold their voltage above 1.2V longer, whereas some higher capacity cells dro in voltage more quickly. they might be able to last longer than Eneloops once they fall below 1.2V, but that does you no good, because as far as the camera is concerned, once they fall below 1.2V, they're as good as dead. Reports frm people who have used NiZn suggest that in practice they 8do* last as long as Eneloops.

QuoteQuote:
It also has higher self discharge. The only advantage is the higher volts, but I'm not sure why you need the higher volts to begin with.
Well, higher voltage means faster AF, and probably faster flash recharge. But it probably also has something to do with how they manage to do so well in terms of keeping their voltage above 1.2V - since it starts so much higher, it can withstand more self-discharge before the voltage drops to unacceptable levels. I have no doubt that Eneloops would last longer if you never actually used your camera (or if the cells sat unused in your bag as spares), but in normal use with Eneloops, they're used up long before self-discharge has a chance to amount o much, and I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't turn out to be true of NiZn for most folks too.

If all my Eneloops were to die tomorrow, I'd probably pick up a set of NiZn to check out, but as it is, I have no incentive. I've got two sets of Eneloops for my camera, two sets for my wife's, another set or two I use in other devices (including a flash unit that hardly ever gets used), and they never let me down.
02-04-2010, 12:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
2100mAh Maha Imedion Ultra-Low-Discharge AA BATTERIES are great too.
...and made by the same company as the Eneloops, I believe.