Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
M42 to K Converter question

So I bought a M42 to K converter (the real cheap one) on ebay for my M42 500mm Phoenix. I got it in today and went to screw it on and noticed that it would only go on half way, guessing maybe since its cheap that the threads werent perfectly spaced or something. Then I went to use it on me camera and I couldnt get it off. There is a small tab on the adapter that clicks to keep it on but when I hit the lens release button that tab dont give way for me to be able to take the lens off. I have to unscrew the lens and take a small screw driver to push the tab down to take the converter off.

I just wanted to make sure I didnt do something wrong, and that "thats what I get" for buying a 5 dollar adapter is what really happened.

Does anyone have a photo tutorial or something I can reference?

thanks

Mike

02-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Never, ever use a cheap, non-pentax adaptor on your camera.

Throw that thing out and go get a real Pentax adaptor.

As for the Pentax adaptor, unless you modify it, you first unscew the lens to remove the adaptor. But you do not need a screw driver to do it.
02-02-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope that is just how they work. Some people take that TAB off, so the lens doesn't lock in place.

I have attached photos of my pentax one to show you.

You can see the screw to undo if you want the lens to come off easier, however, be careful you do not loss the lens when adjusting focus, etc...

The last photo just shows the lens half-off, but the ring still attached.

PM if you have more questions.
Attached Images

02-02-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

PS I use thumbnail, seems easier than screwdriver.

02-03-2010, 12:21 AM   #5

Original Poster
So that little tool that came with it is actually for dismounting the adapter from the camera after I unscrew the lens?
02-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikesChevelle Quote
So that little tool that came with it is actually for dismounting the adapter from the camera after I unscrew the lens?
"I say, Bravo Holmes, Bravo..."

Sorry, little too much wine kinda makes me a jerk....
02-03-2010, 03:38 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Never, ever use a cheap, non-pentax adaptor on your camera.

Throw that thing out and go get a real Pentax adaptor.

As for the Pentax adaptor, unless you modify it, you first unscew the lens to remove the adaptor. But you do not need a screw driver to do it.
I agree. I have always had true Pentax adapters and have never had an issue. I sold a reasonably rare 35/2.3 that looked to be unused to someone that then tried using a cheap adapter on it. The result was that the threads ended up getting ruined. I haven't sold a M42 lens since but when I do, it'll come with a note pleading for the person that bought it to use a proper adapter.

I have a few adapters and bought my last one new from a camera shop in town. They seem to cost more than new off ebay and other places....
02-04-2010, 01:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Actually, if you look at that tool carefully, you'll notice its two tabs are slightly different. One of them is tapered a bit, and slightly wider. That's the one that needs to go in the slot with the spring clip in it. It pushes the spring clip out of the way and allows the adapter to come off.

In reference to the silly "genuine-pentax" comment above, even those adapters work exactly the same way.

I've removed the spring clip from my adapter and used thread-locking compound to keep it on my Super Takumar 50mm f1.4. I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing that, since there's now nothing preventing my lens from turning and falling off accidentally, but I find that it holds on fine with just the friction of the adapter.

02-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter

If you are talking about screwing the adapter on the lens and it will only go 1/2 way, then I suspect your lens is a T-Mount lens - which has a different thread pitch than the M42 mount has (but they are the same physical size).

If that's the case, then you can purchase a T-Mount adapter with the K-Mount. For example, if you do the following search on eBay - t-mount k-mount - several choices will come up. That way, you won't have to mess with the M42 to K-Mount adapter at all.
02-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #10

Original Poster
AH ha, thanks
02-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #11

Original Poster
Are the T2 the same or do I need to find only "T"
02-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #12
Inactive Account

The T2 will work.
02-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Are the T2 the same or do I need to find only "T"
They are the same
02-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
They are the same
Actually, I read somewhere, a long time ago, that the original T adapter was machined from a single piece of metal. The T2 is made from two pieces: the outer shell, which has the camera mount, and an inner sleeve that has the fine-thread to mate with the lens. The two are held together with three tiny set-screws, which allows the lens to be oriented so that the distance scale and aperture setting are on top, for easier reading.

If this is true, then all the adapters that we see being sold today, are really T2 adapters.

But, for all intents and purposes, you're right. The terms "T adapter" and "T2 adapter" are interchangeable.
02-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Actually, I read somewhere, a long time ago, that the original T adapter was machined from a single piece of metal. The T2 is made from two pieces: the outer shell, which has the camera mount, and an inner sleeve that has the fine-thread to mate with the lens. The two are held together with three tiny set-screws, which allows the lens to be oriented so that the distance scale and aperture setting are on top, for easier reading.

If this is true, then all the adapters that we see being sold today, are really T2 adapters.

But, for all intents and purposes, you're right. The terms "T adapter" and "T2 adapter" are interchangeable.
You are actually right but I just didn't want to expound as it wouldn't make a difference since all that I see available today are T2 mounts with the 3 set screws.
Good for a bit of history though.
They where also widely made by Tamron and that was only one of the reasons people thought the the "T" was for Tamron, when in fact it was for "T"elescope adapter...hmmm..I hope I'm right on this one.