Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Cant open RAW files in CS4

For some reason I cannot open RAW files in CS4. I am using Picasa as a cataloger/importer, but I do not think that it is doing anything to my files.

02-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Inactive Account

In your CS4 program what is your Camera Raw version? And what camera are you using? There is a new Camera RAW download for the cameras that have come out within the past year. If you don't have the newest camera RAW file I would suggest going to the ADOBE web site and download the newest camera RAW file and follow the instructions to the letter of how to place it into CS4.
Now this said I'll ask this Question. do any of your photos show up in the bridge. If they do and you want to open a photo from bridge you need to go up to file and open the photo in camera RAW. This bridge is totally different from CS2 and 3 where all you had to do is click on the photo in bridge and click open and it opened into Photoshop.
02-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikesChevelle Quote
For some reason I cannot open RAW files in CS4. I am using Picasa as a cataloger/importer, but I do not think that it is doing anything to my files.
Why are you screwing around with Picasa when you have CS4? CS4 should be working with up to the K7/Kx right out of the gate. What happens when you open a RAW file straight from the camera without the 'help' of Picasa?

I don't know why it would matter what you use to catalog your files btw..
02-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try Bridge

Since you have CS4 you also have Adobe Bridge. Try opening that, browsing to your photos and opening them. If that works then the problem is Picasa.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs – 365

02-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #5

Original Poster
Well I was given CS4 and have since learned it may have been acquired via torrent. Goes with out saying I guess Im SOL
02-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #6

Original Poster
I will just stick with using GIMP. I use Picasa to view my pic in mass upload to decide which toi keep and what not, instaed of having to manually open each pic in Gimp.
02-04-2010, 01:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I will just stick with using GIMP. I use Picasa to view my pic in mass upload to decide which toi keep and what not, instaed of having to manually open each pic in Gimp.
Good choice! The latest version of Gimp (2.6.8) with UFraw (0.16) fully support the newest Pentax formats without issues. Personally, I prefer UFraw for processing RAW files. The tools it provides allow me to get better results than with Adobe Camera RAW. But other people who are more used to ACR will say the opposite

02-04-2010, 05:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

does UFraw 0.16 render K-x PEF files correctly without color shifts?

I used 0.13 but it opens K-x PEF files with colors shifted.

Last edited by tokyoso; 02-04-2010 at 07:18 AM.
02-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #9

Original Poster
I only picked up CS4 thinking I was missing something with Gimp, Im guessing not since I do not know what Im doing anyway LOL
02-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you just double clicking the file, or trying to open it from within Photoshop?
If when you installed Picasa the RAW filetype association may have been set for Picasa. Try opening Photoshop then use the File>Open method or drag-and-drop.
02-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
does UFraw 0.16 render K-x PEF files correctly without color shifts?

I used 0.13 but it opens K-x PEF files with colors shifted.
I don't know about the K-x, but UFraw 0.13 is SUPER OLD! It's way older than the K-x itself, so it's no wonder it messed up the colours. UFraw 0.15 did not support my K-7's PEF files, but 0.16 does. Again, I'm not sure about K-x PEF files, but the K-x is explicitly mentioned in the documentation. Also, what difference does it really make? DNG files are fully supported, so why not just use that instead?
02-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I only picked up CS4 thinking I was missing something with Gimp, Im guessing not since I do not know what Im doing anyway LOL
Instead of wasting your money on other applications, or using super-advanced applications with a bunch of features you'll never need, why not just buy a good book on Gimp and learn that really well?

I'm an old Photoshop pro, I've been pushing it to its limits for over a decade, but I still found a lot of great information in Akkana Peck's book "Beginning Gimp". I think that's a much better investment than buying something like Photoshop Elements, which is far too restrictive.
02-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Elements and Picasa.I always upload my pictures with the Elements organizer so anything I want to edit with Elements is right there for me. Picasa will pick them up automaticly. I think CS4 works very similar. Picasa and Adobe don't always play well together. Delete a photo in Picasa that you loaded with Adobe and organizer will spend forever looking for it.
02-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice
02-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

You should be able to do it all on CS4 which you would also have the Adobe bridge.
I was on the same boat with CS3 but after a bit of googling, I was able to make it see the RAW thumbnails and open the RAW files.
One of the easiest way to do this is open CS4 > go to "help" which is on the upper right or the last selection starting from "menu" > then click that for the dropdown menu and click "updates..".
Once you click on updates, it would automatically update and should install all the available plug-ins so you can view RAW files.
Hope this helps!