Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2010, 12:07 AM   #1

Pentax K-x Image File numbering

Hi. I am a newbie here and have recently purchased the Pentax K-x Black kit (with 18-55 and 55-300) online from a highly reputed seller - it is my first DSLR!

The kit arrived in fine shape and I have have taken at least 500 photos with it over the past few weeks and everything works perfectly fine.

I was reviewing the pictures yesterday and noticed that the image file numbering for the first shot I had taken with the camera was "IMGP0879.JPG" which I thought was a bit odd as I would have expected it to have started at xxxx0000 or xxxx0001 ...

I now have a nagging feeling in my mind about whether I have somehow been landed with a used / open box camera ... although physically, it looked brand new!

Would some kind folks please let me know if the image file numbering for the first shots that you have taken with your K-x's started with 0 or 1 please. Thanks so much.

02-05-2010, 12:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty sure the numbering started from 1 on mine (looking back on my first photos I see one at 003 which supports this).
02-05-2010, 02:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You may want to check how you've told the camera to record file and folder names (p252 in the manual).

But if you are in any doubt about how many photos your camera has taken, use PhotoMe (0.79R17 is best) to look at the shutter actuation/count of your camera (which is recorded in the EXIF metadata information of every image you take) in the first image recorded by the camera. Open the image in PhotoMe and then look under Manufacturers Notes - Shutter Count in the JPG.

If the camera is brand new, it should only show a small number of factory test actuations - mine showed a shutter count of 230 when I looked at my first K-x image.

PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor
02-05-2010, 02:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Even if it started with 1, it means nothing because it can be reset any time, many times. Check the actual shutter count if you are curious, but don't be concerned if it works fine.

02-05-2010, 03:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks so much everyone!

I went ahead and checked the shutter actuation / count with PhotoME under the Manufacturer notes and the first photo I had taken showed 125 ... so the 0879 in the image filename doesn't really matter then. I am so relieved now!!

Thank you very much!
02-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 125 is probably from testing at the factory. The 879 is probably because the SD card you used happened to already hae an 878 on it, and the camera was set to start numbering where the card left off.
02-05-2010, 11:10 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks much Marc - that is exactly what would have happened - as I was using an existing SD card from an earlier digi cam to test the new K-x. PentaxForums.com rocks!

03-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #8

Thanks a lot guys..

I am really relieved. I was wondering when my first image number came to close to 4000.

My Google search for this problem turned out to this forum link.

I found answer to my problem and the Photo me software also helped see my metadata info. Thx guys pentax forum nd U guys rockkkkkkkkk...

-Srini
03-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Good to hear that you found the information helpful.

It is worth noting that the K-x shutter is rated (probably conservatively) to 100,000 actuations. So even if a K-x body had 4000 actuations on it it, let alone just 500 or so, this would still only represent a tiny percentage of what the K-x's shutter service life is expected to be.
03-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The 125 is probably from testing at the factory. The 879 is probably because the SD card you used happened to already hae an 878 on it, and the camera was set to start numbering where the card left off.
I used a brand new SD card with my first K-x (formatting it in the camera before the first picture was taken) and the file number started at an odd 5665. The shutter count said mine had around 185 actuations, if I recall correctly.

When I got my new K-x, I used the same card from the old one (again, formatting it before the first pic) and the filenames started at 0001 like I thought they should (shutter count was only around 130).

I think it's an oversight from the factory to reset the file numbering or probably more likely, the firmware that was put on my first camera had the file number predefined from the camera(s) it was developed and tested on.