Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #46
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by John52 Quote
I have enclosed two test shots, 095 is with "Night Scene" and 104 is with Auto Portrait. Both were taken at night with only the ambient light from the table lamp. 095 looks more like a picture taken at night but it is not "crisp" an there is too many spots that are over exposured.
Can you please clarify...is that Night Scene or Night Scene Portrait? I ask because the two function differently.

If it is Night Scene Portrait...did the camera select it or did you set it manually? If the camera didn't select it...do you know what mode the camera would have selected?

I ask these questions because simply selecting a picture mode doesn't mean much unless the scene matches the mode. White walls is not what I'd call a night scene.

02-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #47
Inactive Account

Original Poster
095 was taken with the camera in AUTO PICTURE and it chose "Night Scene Portrait".
p.s. The walls are dark beige not white and I consider this a fairly common situation e.g. family gatherings, parties,etc. where you just want to to grab the camera and take some hastily composed shots. As I said in my original post, my previous DS2 was great for this whereas with the k-x if the room is not well lit it defaults to Night Scene Portrait which I don't think produces the best quality picture in that situation.
I realize that we (my wife and I) will just have to get used to putting it on Portrait mode or some similar setting. It just seems like a backward step when we are moving up to a newer and supposedly better camera.

Last edited by John52; 02-08-2010 at 02:13 PM.
02-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #48
Inactive Account

095 was taken with the camera in AUTO PICTURE and it chose "Night Scene Portrait".
Previously I had suggested setting the camera to Center-weighted metering to see if that helps (seemed to help me.) Can you give it a try to see if the camera selects a different mode?
02-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #49
Damn Brit

I realize that we (my wife and I) will just have to get used to putting it on Portrait mode or some similar setting. It just seems like a backward step when we are moving up to a newer and supposedly better camera.
That is why there is that line on Page 84 about trying other modes if Auto Pict doesn't give you what you want. Sacrifices are made when they design these things.
I'm sure once you get over this hump and get more familiar with the camera, you'll start seeing things that it can do that your P&S couldn't (and maybe a few more vice versa).

I'm sure once you are more comfortable with it, you will start venturing into the more manual settings. That's where you will start to see it shine.
You'll even find that we are more easily able to answer questions about the harder stuff than the easy stuff.

02-08-2010, 11:18 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pretty hard to tell at the posted size, but I don't see a difference i sharpness just in the focus point, which is a little further away i the second picture. The foreground chair looks perfectly sharp to me in the one you claim is blurry. Can you post a crop showing otherwise? Or are you simply noticing the back of the picture is blurry? That's the normal result of shallow DOF. As for the burned out highlights, that has nothing to do with any of this - that's the ordinary result of bright light on shiny surfaces.

These picture are an excellent demonstration of why the camera would make the choice it did, though. The first picture is an MUCH better image, with some sense of the ambient light preserved. The second picture is like the textbook example of how *not* to use flash.