Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2010, 07:06 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-x Annoying Feature Auto mode

My wife and I both use our DSLR. However, she is not interested in f-stops, ISO ratings, etc she just wants to be be able to pick up our camera and let it determine the best settings in AUTO PICTURE mode.
On our previous DS2 this worked great.
However new on the K-x within AUTO PICTURE there is a "Night Scene Portrait" option that shoots at really low shutter speeds (1/8) and a tri-pod is recommended. Taking indoor photos at night with AUTO PICT, the camera often defaults to Night Scene Portrait with the resulting soft/blurred picture.

Does anyone know if there is a way to to remove Night Scene Portrait from the AUTO PICT "menu"?

02-05-2010, 07:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Did the camera come with a manual? I don't have a Kx, but I can't imagine the manual for that wouldn't have section regarding Auto mode. My guess is that when it's in Auto, you have it set to Night Scene as default? In true Auto mode, the camera should be detecting what is the ideal shutter speed, f-stop and ISO to make the photo as ideal as possible...going into Night Scene unless it was set there seems like an odd thing for the camera to choose on it's own.

Good luck.

Jason
02-05-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't specifically answer your question because I don't own a Kx but.. I would try switching to Tv mode, Auto ISO and go from there. Select your shutter speed and let the camera determine the rest. I know you said Mrs isn't interested in actually picking out things but sometimes to get the most out of a DSLR, it becomes necessary to do a little bit of minimal thinking. Might open up a whole new world for her.
02-05-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think the scene modes change anything about the picture. Like when you are outside and it is bright out, the camera (in auto mode) chooses a low ISO, smaller aperture and faster shutter speed. They call this, "outside mode" or something. If its dark and the camera chooses a large aperture and slow shutter speed, high ISO to get the shot, they call it, "night mode".

Night mode isn't a setting, its just name given to images taken with slower shutters, larger aperture and high ISO. The images are blurry because of camera shake due to the slow shutter.

You can try upping the ISO manually, getting a faster aperture lens, or using some artificial light in the form of a flash.

02-05-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
You can try upping the ISO manually
Yeah, why not hand it to her in P mode, set the ISO to auto 200-4000 (whatever you find acceptable...this range works for me) or something like that, and not worry about it? Auto mode is just a gimmick to tell you the camera is making adjustments for a given scene, when it does this anyway in P mode. If you shoot in low light with the kit lens, the shutter speed will inevitably be slow.
02-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure there's a solution for this. If auto mode isn't doing what you want, you should try using scene mode or Program mode.
02-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I believe night snap scene mode will use a fast shutter speed.

Otherwise, Program mode will work (program shift too)

02-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by John52 Quote
Does anyone know if there is a way to to remove Night Scene Portrait from the AUTO PICT "menu"?
I check out my K-x and it seem to do the same thing. It's just trying to capture some of the background so that you don't get the subject only with a black background.

"Portrait" mode is one click from AUTO PICT. I would suggest telling her that if the camera is selecting Night Scene when you don't want it to, just turn the dial clockwise one click to "Portrait."
02-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #9

Does the K-x remember the last setting for the mode chosen?

Say you chose Tv, set the shutter to 1/100, then either turned the camera off or switched to a different mode. Would the camera remember the 1/100 setting when the camera was turned back on/switched back to Tv mode? If so, I'd set that up for her and tell her whenever she's taking pics indoors, move the dial to Tv.
02-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John52 Quote
My wife and I both use our DSLR. However, she is not interested in f-stops, ISO ratings, etc she just wants to be be able to pick up our camera and let it determine the best settings in AUTO PICTURE mode.
On our previous DS2 this worked great.
However new on the K-x within AUTO PICTURE there is a "Night Scene Portrait" option that shoots at really low shutter speeds (1/8) and a tri-pod is recommended. Taking indoor photos at night with AUTO PICT, the camera often defaults to Night Scene Portrait with the resulting soft/blurred picture.
Well, if it's dark, what else would you expect? Unless you use flash, there's no way around the need for slow shutter speeds. So I assume maybe you were expecting the camera to pop up flash but it didn't? If so, that's kind of a different problem than what you initially described - it's not the availability of night scene that's the problem, but the fact that flash isn't popping up automatically. Which suggests that maybe there is a flash option you need to change? Or maybe you don't want flash, but expect the camera to be choosing a higher ISO in order to increase shutter speed - in which case, it's the auto ISO options you probably need to check.
02-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Well, if it's dark, what else would you expect? Unless you use flash, there's no way around the need for slow shutter speeds. So I assume maybe you were expecting the camera to pop up flash but it didn't? If so, that's kind of a different problem than what you initially described - it's not the availability of night scene that's the problem, but the fact that flash isn't popping up automatically. Which suggests that maybe there is a flash option you need to change? Or maybe you don't want flash, but expect the camera to be choosing a higher ISO in order to increase shutter speed - in which case, it's the auto ISO options you probably need to check.

It appears to be more complex than that. It seems like the camera is attempting to ascertain the type of image. So even in the same light level, pointing the camera to different objects can get the camera to auto select a different Picture mode.

Night Scene does cause the flash to pop up and fire, to properly light the subjects. But then it keeps the shutter open to get the background. It’s nothing more than automatically turning on Slow-speed Sync, and it even says so in the Operating Manual.

The Picture modes still give you control over ISO (fixed or Auto), and flash settings. So I would also suggest checking the ISO settings and make sure it’s on Auto, so that the camera can use a lower shutter speed for exposing the background.
02-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Graystar Quote
It appears to be more complex than that. It seems like the camera is attempting to ascertain the type of image. So even in the same light level, pointing the camera to different objects can get the camera to auto select a different Picture mode.
This is exactly it -
the K-x is a very clever camera -
the AUTO PICT mode attempts to assess the scene and sets a scene mode accordingly -
so it is not working in the same way Full AUTO (green) used to work on other cameras -
most of the time this is boon -
but like any automation it is not perfect -
and we are supposed to be smarter than the camera
(well OK, sometimes )

Page 84 of the K-x owner's manual actually explains -
and even tell us what to do if the scene mode selected is not as we'd desire.

02-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #13
Damn Brit

Moved to Beginners Q&A where it is better suited.
The answers are usually in the manual.
02-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Understood, but regardless of the mode selected, if there is little light, you're going to get a slow speed. Unless the OP is claiming it isn't choosing the largest aperture available on the lens or the highest ISO configured in auto ISO, I don't see the problem. In low light, it shouldn't matter what mode is selected - the camera should max out aperture and ISO in hopes of getting as fast a shutter speed as it can. Only if it isn't doing this would there be a problem. But right now, it isn't at all clear that this is the case.
02-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
This is exactly it -
the K-x is a very clever camera -
the AUTO PICT mode attempts to assess the scene and sets a scene mode accordingly -
so it is not working in the same way Full AUTO (green) used to work on other cameras -
Yes, it is. That's exactly how Green mode has always been described as working on cameras with Scene modes.