Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #1

universal remote

I just got myself a universal remote for my KX. Going through the manuals and all but i don't seems to be able to make the remote work!

Anyone to enlighten pls.

tia

02-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Post a pic. But if you have the standard one from ebay you only have one button that will work with more Pentax Cams. Which do you have?
02-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
Post a pic. But if you have the standard one from ebay you only have one button that will work with more Pentax Cams. Which do you have?
i pressed all the buttons, none work, is there a setting on the camera that i need to activate?
Attached Images

02-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You need to put the camera on remote control -- it should have either a regular setting or a 3 second delay. I don't have a kx, but I assume it is like the other cameras and under the menu with shooting mode (the place where you can choose continuous, single, self timer, etc). You have to set it to remote in order to use a remote with it.

02-06-2010, 02:35 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
You need to put the camera on remote control -- it should have either a regular setting or a 3 second delay. I don't have a kx, but I assume it is like the other cameras and under the menu with shooting mode (the place where you can choose continuous, single, self timer, etc). You have to set it to remote in order to use a remote with it.
checked, silly me. Thanks, is my first dslr
02-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tom_kkh Quote
checked, silly me. Thanks, is my first dslr
This is actually a usual mistake as we tend to be trained how we use the TV remote.
We're so used to just pointing and pushing the button that the TV changes channels that we scratch our heads when we do the same thing with this device and the camera doesn't do a thing.
This is actually a precaution that we set the camera to receive remote actions so that we can't just mess with anybody's camera if we had a remote and it need not be set on to accept the signal.
02-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

i pressed all the buttons, none work, is there a setting on the camera that i need to activate?
Have you tested the working distance on this brand/type?
It would be helpful if you did as the OEM remote control F has a reputation of having a rather short triggering distance (usually around 10ft or something).
02-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Have you tested the working distance on this brand/type?
It would be helpful if you did as the OEM remote control F has a reputation of having a rather short triggering distance (usually around 10ft or something).
Yes its about 10 ft.

As KX sensor is in front, which is real weird to me, I can only activate it with the remote infront. Doesn't work if I try to use it with the camera's back to me.

02-07-2010, 04:57 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
I believe that's a multi-brand remote. Besides having to set the camera to accept the remote signal, the P buttons=Pentax, N=Nikon, C=Canon, KM=Konica/Minolta. I think I got it right. I saw this information on a user comment on dealextreme's web listing of this remote. Hope it helps.
02-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seachunk2 Quote
I believe that's a multi-brand remote. Besides having to set the camera to accept the remote signal, the P buttons=Pentax, N=Nikon, C=Canon, KM=Konica/Minolta. I think I got it right. I saw this information on a user comment on dealextreme's web listing of this remote. Hope it helps.
This is actually right and the WT button beside the Pentax button (same with the Sony) is for the P&S with support this feature and not for the DSLR line-up.
02-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Yes its about 10 ft.

As KX sensor is in front, which is real weird to me, I can only activate it with the remote infront. Doesn't work if I try to use it with the camera's back to me.
Hmm..I guess this is the same as the Pentax remote F capability then.
There should be other third party remotes out there that can do better distance.
02-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #12
Site Supporter

I have the Jue Ying RC-4 universal remote which has the same layout as the one pictured above for my K10 mind you but it will easily go 25 feet either in front or back of the camera. I have been thinking of getting the Pentax F remote from around here in hopes of soon getting a K20 and hide the remote in the grip. This one is a bit larger than the Pentax remote.
02-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I have been thinking of getting the Pentax F remote from around here in hopes of soon getting a K20 and hide the remote in the grip. This one is a bit larger than the Pentax remote.
I can't imagine a remote getting any smaller than this (Pentax F). I was shocked when I first got it.

(and no, I don't have giant hands, this thing is literally the size of 3 keys on a keyboard)

Name:  GORE4713.JPG
Views: 1182
Size:  91.3 KB

I've already lost it 3 times.

edit: on my 24" screen, the remote in that picture is larger than its real-life counterpart
02-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #14

I looked at those eBay "universal" remotes but was put off by having all the extra buttons that did nothing for me. I ended up getting two genuine Pentax Remote-F's for $10 shipped on ebay (brand new).

Can't beat the quality and price (not to mention the size). Only thing I wish is that they had a separate button for auto-focus (my old Canon P&S had about 8 buttons on it, for doing such things as playing pictures back into a video screen).
02-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Oh believe me, if I had seen anyone selling the Pentax remote for ten bucks around the time I spent that same amount on this remote, I would have bought two myself.

But the Pentax remote only has one button to operate the shutter. These universals
have one button to operate the shutter. The advantage goes to Pentax for how it stores in some grips.