Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2010, 06:39 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
realistically, 50mm is not a very useful focal length on APS-C.

I use my 55mm/1.8 M42 Taks quite regularly on my DSLRs. It translates to a fast 82 1/2 mm, a much coveted short portrait length on 35mm SLRs.

02-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
agreed....50mm seems a bit too long for indoor shooting. by indoor, i'm talking about in my house...not a high school gym.

i picked up a 28mm smc 2.8 for indoors b/c of the focal legnth and then found a sig 28mm 1.8 on the marketplace and it seems to be mounted on my camera much more than the faster 50
both of those however are manual focus lenses....but i haven't seen the bad reviews the OP is talking about.
02-13-2010, 08:47 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Once again, this is a matter of opinion.

My favorite and most used lens on my DSLR is my F series 50mm f1.7. Many other people like the 50mm on APSc field of view as well. Please, stop trying to sell what is a matter of opinion as a fact.

I don't think you'll change him, what's right for him must be right for everyone, and he is both quite obdurate and very willing to wear a person down with pedantry.
I gave up months ago.

I also find the 50ish FL to be very useful on APS-C. On the 4x5 format, my most used focal length was the 210, which works out to be very close to the same angle of view as the 50mm lens is on the DSLR. I always wanted a prime lens in the 70 or so mm range in 35mm, but the best I could come up with was the classic 70-200 zoom, used at the short end.
Since I dislike zooms on general principals, this was always an annoyance for me.
02-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Once again, this is a matter of opinion.
True. I'm stating mine, others are welcome to state theirs. I think it quite clear from the zillions of times this has come up that a large number of people - I would suggest it's probably the majority - share my opinion. But you are right, it is just an opinion, not fact, and I shouldn't have stated it as if it were fact. Focal length preference is a very personal thing, and it is important for the OP to decide for himself.

My point is, one shouldn't *assume* 50mm will be a good focal length on APS-C just because a lot of people liked the entirely different FOV it provided on film, or just because it happens to be the cheapest prime on other systems.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 02-14-2010 at 01:23 PM.
02-13-2010, 10:52 AM   #20

Started out looking at Canon. After weeks of review reading and joining forums I believe I've found a home. Even though I can't afford it for at this very moment, if the K-X was available State's side in chocolate body with black grip along with the DA-40 LTD in a kit I swear I'd turn tricks in the alleyway to meet the cost. As it is, fortunately I'm sure, I'll put it off for a bit and end up with the black body.

One handsome camera!

Is part of the cost of the DA LTD that focus motor in the lens that was mentioned above? And why the internal focus control motor? Does it improve performance or merely make them noiseless?

I waded through most of the lens "clubs" here and the photos in the DA section were breathtaking. Here's a question that will highlight my ignorance (but ya'all decided to call this the beginners corner so you asked for it!) ...
The DA-40 f2.8 is a relatively fast lens. I had thought that fast(er) lenses needed big glass. The front element of the DA-40 looks so small. What is the error in my thinking? I guess a part of me as well is thinking, "for that much money I wanted more glass dammit!".

Last edited by frascati; 02-13-2010 at 12:23 PM.
02-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frascati Quote
Is part of the cost of the DA LTD that focus motor in the lens that was mentioned above? And why the internal focus control motor? Does it improve performance or merely make them noiseless?
The DA Limited lenses (to date, at least) do not include their own focus motor. They rely on the camera's screw drive.

The DA-40 f2.8 is a relatively fast lens. I had thought that fast(er) lenses needed big glass. The front element of the DA-40 looks so small. What is the error in my thinking? I guess a part of me as well is thinking, "for that much money I wanted more glass dammit!".
It's the magic of a classic simple design.
02-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Started out looking at Canon. After weeks of review reading and joining forums I believe I've found a home. Even though I can't afford it for at this very moment, if the K-X was available State's side in chocolate body with black grip along with the DA-40 LTD in a kit I swear I'd turn tricks in the alleyway to meet the cost. As it is, fortunately I'm sure, I'll put it off for a bit and end up with the black body.

One handsome camera!

I waded through most of the lens "clubs" here and the photos in the DA section were breathtaking. Here's a question that will highlight my ignorance (but ya'all decided to call this the beginners corner so you asked for it!) ...
In the photo DA lens has the included hood screwed on. Taking it off would trim an additional 1/3 - 1/4 in thickness.

For the money I would prefer this to be assembled in Japan.
02-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #23

I owned and used (extensively) Canon nifty-fifty (EF 50mm F1.8), and it is a very wonderful lens. It "doesnt fall apart." It's made from plastic and is VERY LIGHT, which makes handling very nice. It also has its own focus motor, which makes it autofocus on every EOS camera. As for IQ, the lens if SUPER SHARP, sharper than any lens that I have used (sharper than some Canon L's). Sharper than Canon 50/1.4 and 1.2. This is on APS-C though (so i don't mind its corner sharpness). Also, since it's so light, the autofocus is relatively quick.

Nikons won't autofocus on D40/60/3000/5000. Which kinda sucks.

I'm now using old manual lenses on my Pentax, particularly Pentax-M 50/2, Pentax-A 50/1.7, Nikkor-S 50/1.4 Pre-AI. They are nice IF YOU GET THEM TO FOCUS CORRECTLY. The Canon Nifty-Fifty is still sharper and has more contrast, although it's got the worst bokeh quality.

Pentax FA 50 1.4 is TOO EXPENSIVE for a 50 prime.

02-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by buliwyf Quote
I'm now using old manual lenses on my Pentax, particularly Pentax-M 50/2, Pentax-A 50/1.7, Nikkor-S 50/1.4 Pre-AI. They are nice IF YOU GET THEM TO FOCUS CORRECTLY. The Canon Nifty-Fifty is still sharper and has more contrast, although it's got the worst bokeh quality.

Really? I have a hard time believing that anything can be sharper than the Pentax 50/1.7...

FA 50/1.4 used to be cheap for its speed, now pentax is charging us as if the lens have IS. If you can get it used, it's still a good deal of a lens though.
02-14-2010, 05:28 AM   #25
Veteran Member

B&H Price List

QuoteOriginally posted by buliwyf Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
FA 50/1.4 used to be cheap for its speed, now pentax is charging us as if the lens have IS. If you can get it used, it's still a good deal of a lens though.
Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Autofocus Lens $329.95
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Autofocus Lens $349.00
Sony SAL-50F14 Normal 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lens $369.99
Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lens $359.95

So: a little pricier than most of the others, but not by much. I agree that that's not the cleverest pricing scheme, but, eh, not a big deal. The DA 40mm Limited is $339.95.
02-14-2010, 06:45 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Autofocus Lens — $329.95
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Autofocus Lens — $349.00
Sony SAL-50F14 Normal 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lens — $369.99
Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lens — $359.95

So: a little pricier than most of the others, but not by much. I agree that that's not the cleverest pricing scheme, but, eh, not a big deal. The DA 40mm Limited is $339.95.
For beginner cheap auto focus prime lens, nikon and canon have AF 50mm f1.8 available at about $85 and $120 respectively, something I would love to have spent over the more expensive pentax DA 40mm.

DA 40mm limited is nice but it shouldn't be the cheapest prime available for people like me on a budget, and should probably be taken into more consideration when chosing a starter DSLR camera body.

Last edited by tokyoso; 02-14-2010 at 06:55 AM.
02-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
DA 40mm limited is nice but it shouldn't be the cheapest prime available for people like me on a budget, and should probably be taken into more consideration when chosing a starter DSLR camera body.
On budget we have the various 1.7 and 1.4 manuals, but you're right that it's not autofocus; but the budget Nikon 1.8 doesnt have in body motor either!

And for some reason F1.7 have jumped in price recently. Broken Filter ring versions used to be available for 120$ ish.
02-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
On budget we have the various 1.7 and 1.4 manuals, but you're right that it's not autofocus; but the budget Nikon 1.8 doesnt have in body motor either!
No inbody motor is quite alrite for me tho hehehe.... DA40 and FA50/35 doesn't have an inbody motor either... granted they are better built lenses, for cheaply available auto focus primes Canon Nikon (canikon) cameras are probably the best ones to get.

Nice collection of lenses there , by the way... How's Nova Scotia?
02-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
No inbody motor is quite alrite for me tho hehehe.... DA40 and FA50/35 doesn't have an inbody motor either... granted they are better built lenses, for cheaply available auto focus primes Canon Nikon (canikon) cameras are probably the best ones to get.

Nice collection of lenses there , by the way... How's Nova Scotia?
By "no inbody motor" I actually mean that for budget costumers (D40/60/5000/3000 owners) Nikon's 1.8 won't autofocus anyway.

Thanks... I think I'm done with what I really need for now... but still saving up for what I "NEED", like the FA 43 Nova Scotia's been quite dreary these days, but we catch glimpses of sun every now and then!
02-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #30
Veteran Member

there's always the nikon 35mm f1.8 af-s.... for $180.

I'm looking at a few SMC Takumar 135 / 3.5 here locally. I see you have it. is that a lens you would recommend?