Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MariesMeow Quote
Since there aren't any camera stores that sell pentax cameras in my area, I was wondering if anyone could describe or compare the feel/grip of the camera to me. I know that the feeling of the camera is a big part of the buying process but I just don't have the option of getting to hold the camera before buying it. Does it feel similar to any nikon/canon/olympus/etc.?
wow, that's very subjective and different for everyone. I suppose I can make this basic comparison: when I tried out a K-x and a Nikon D90, both felt very similar. The D90 was maybe a touch heavier, but that could have been because its lens was bigger too. I far preferred the K-x, though.

02-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #17
Igilligan

You should ask the forum

What city do you live in? There are lots of helpful folks here who may be close enough to let you try the cameras. I have tried a few lenses from meeting up with PF members...
02-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I agree, so if you have the chance to try both, you can consider they "feel" as a factor.

Otherwise, frankly, I'd go with the cheaper camera - most people just starting out will have no particular use for for any of the things that make more expensive camera more expensive, and you can spend the money saved on lenses, which everyone does have use for. If you get much more serious later, you can always upgrade the body - and chances are, you would anyhow even if you bought the K-7.

But if something about the K-7 strikes you are being worth spending the extra money on, an you can afford it, then I certainly wouldn't worry you were making a mistake by doing that, either.
I don't really think either camera would be a bad choice, for anyone, beginner or advanced alike. My whole point of the fit and feel thing is that if you are uncomfortable with using a camera, it's a waste of money at any cost, even the cheaper camera. The Kx had just been released when I seriously looked at the K7 and by then, any local shop that carried Pentax had gone the way of other local shops of any kind. Gone. I based my decision on past experience with the K10/20 bodies.

Recently, I had purchased a Bigma (non HSM). By all rights, a gorgeous lens that was quite sharp wide open at 500mm, displayed very little CA or PF, but weighs about 6 pounds. I just couldn't fall in love with using it as much as I tried so it had to go. To me, having a $800 lens just sitting around was pointless. I took a couple dozen test shots with it and took a $50 hit on the price for the experience. I expect the 1.7xAF TC (Pentax Japan), the FA35 f2, and couple other things I got with the money to get a lot more use and therefore, worth the money I invested.

QuoteQuote:

Well, there's no debating personal choice, but I do at least want to correct an incorrect statement here. At around $10 a set, Eneloops are hardly "expensive" - certainly no more so than the proprietary batteries used in cameras that require them. And given they also last for hundreds of shots and hundreds of recharge cycles, there really is no performance based reason to prefer proprietary batteries, either. There may be other personal preferences involved to make one prefer one over the other, but on the basis of cost or performance, no.
Here, I guess I'm guilty of that which I sometimes accuse other people of. I didn't check the price and took the word of what some people said they'd paid. $30 per set. The reason I said I wasn't going to debate the matter (still won't) is that each side is hard fast in their preference. You know from the other forum that those debates quickly max out in posts with little or no movement. While it may be fun to banter back and fourth about it, it won't do Original Poster much good to crowd her thread with the issue.

From reading on, it would appear that Marie, has made her choice. I would encourage her (you, Marie, if you're reading this) to simply compare the upscale models to the entry level versions of the different brands (trying to save from making another post here). When I made my original fit and feel compares, the Canon models of the day were the 20d and Rebel 350. The comparison was similar to the Pentax K100d and K10d. I would probably liken comparing them now to the 50d and the XTi to get an idea of the difference. From there, it's pick your color, shop your price, and have fun with it.

02-09-2010, 01:03 AM   #19
Veteran Member

A new model is said to be coming. Maybe just wait a little?

**Why was the links removed?**

02-09-2010, 05:26 AM   #20
hcc
Pentaxian

Thank you for all of the help everyone! I think i'm heading towards buying the k-x and then maybe in the future upgrading to a k-7. I have one more question. Since there aren't any camera stores that sell pentax cameras in my area, I was wondering if anyone could describe or compare the feel/grip of the camera to me. I know that the feeling of the camera is a big part of the buying process but I just don't have the option of getting to hold the camera before buying it. Does it feel similar to any nikon/canon/olympus/etc.?

Thanks so much!
Marie
You want to have a feel for the camera before you buy it. This is essential: if you do not like the feel/touch of the camera, you will not use it and it will be a waste of effort, time and money. In fact, it is not just about 'touch' and 'feel', but it is also about the convenience, the location of the buttons, the weight, the bulk, as well as the viewfinder.

The advantage of the local photo shop/dealer is that you can often try a few cameras side by side at once: the K-x with Canon 500D and Nikkon D90, the K-x and K-7... I was lucky to test both the K-x and K-7 with the Pentax 18-250mm, the lens that I wanted and use most. It was enlightening: the built-quality and superb viewfinder of the K-7 convinced me that the K-7 was for me, even at a heftier price.

If you cannot find a dealer close by where you can try a Pentax, you should consider to buy the camera with a company that has a free-return policy (within 2 weeks or 30 days). That will give you time to test the camera .... but make sure that you order all what you need to test: camera body, lens & good quality SD card (eg class 10). Other pentaxians may advise you on the various sellers in North America with such a return policy.

Hope that it will help ...
02-09-2010, 06:41 AM   #21
Site Supporter

i would have probably bought the k-7... if it was reasonable with regards to my budget... i've been using a k200d for quite some time... but was looking for a new pentax with enough improvements (focus accuracy and low light capabilities) to justify another purchase.. noting that i'm keeping the k200d as a backup....
i was fortunate to get the k-x at a good price, so i pulled the proverbial trigger and am happy with that decision.... it is lighter than the k200d, hate to say but does not feel as 'solid' as the k200d... but the improvements as noted previously outweigh the few shortcomings on the k-x... if money is the determining factor, which it was for me, i'd opt for the k-x, and then you may have some $$ for lenses with the savings.... it's a great choice for a newbie and a veteran shooter as well... a nice complement to the pentax line of dslr's......
best of luck..... dave m
02-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Here, I guess I'm guilty of that which I sometimes accuse other people of. I didn't check the price and took the word of what some people said they'd paid. $30 per set. The reason I said I wasn't going to debate the matter (still won't) is that each side is hard fast in their preference. You know from the other forum that those debates quickly max out in posts with little or no movement. While it may be fun to banter back and fourth about it, it won't do Original Poster much good to crowd her thread with the issue.
Absolutely agreed. Like I said, there's no debating personal preference, and really that's all it comes down - although as you say, this particular discussion does get surprisingly heated for something that in the end is so insignificant. There are absolutely pros and cons to both technologies, and some feel strongly about some of those, but I just wanted to make sure price wasn't incorrectly assumed to be one of them.
02-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
No kidding...

Ranks right up there with "True Story"
Or "To be honest with you...."

To the OP, you will LOVE the K-x. I have had mine for a couple of weeks, and now know my way around it well.

Go to the library and pick up a couple of books on digital photography - those and the manual and some TIME studying will get you where you need to be.

Personally, having now shot two indoor basketball games and a school concert with my iso pegged at 12800 for many of the shots I am GLAD I went with the K-x over a K7. The low light performance really is GOOD. I don't think I would've been as satisfied with a K7 under such conditions.

ken

02-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks so much to everyone for the help! I'm finally going to pull the trigger and order a k-x tomorrow afternoon. I will be getting the 18-55mm as well as the 50-200mm with the body for $585 (Woohoo!). Thanks so much for all of the help and you'll see me again when I start taking pics
02-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Thanks so much to everyone for the help! I'm finally going to pull the trigger and order a k-x tomorrow afternoon. I will be getting the 18-55mm as well as the 50-200mm with the body for $585 (Woohoo!). Thanks so much for all of the help and you'll see me again when I start taking pics
Sweet! Great choice, looking forward to reading about your experiences with the camera.
02-11-2010, 03:59 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Maybe I'm a little late, but here are my thoughts:

I shot film off-and-on for a few decades, with various gear. Then I gave up on film (although I've recently returned) and used a series of PNS (point-and-shoot) digicams. None of that gear was labeled Pentax. A couple years ago, I decided I could finally afford a good dSLR (Thanks for dying and leaving me some money, Mom!), so I started perusing the offerings and fondling all the cameras I could. What a confusing mess!

So I thought, what do I *WANT* with a dSLR? What can't my Sony DSC-V1 with NightShot and crystalline Zeiss optics do? Well, it can't go real wide, or real long, or real fast, and it's only got 5 million teensy megapickles. Break this down: I want the right AFFORDABLE lenses -- ultrawide, fast/normal, a good walkaround, long tele, macro. And I want a camera body that I'll be happy with for a few years, that I won't feel driven to upgrade too soon.

I researched and analyzed, read tech reviews and user ratings, scribbled lists, all based on those two criteria: what lenses will grab the images I want?, and what camera will satisfy me for the foreseeable future? I was slightly biased towards one brand, as I could inherit some nice lenses, but it didn't rate as well as Pentax, so here I am. And it helps that great legacy Pentax lenses are available cheap, eh? I have piles of those now...

Anyway, rather than browsing camera stores and trying to decipher the marketing buzz, I made my choice after asking myself: What do I want to do? What will get me there? Will I be satisfied with it? I'm happy that I took that path of discovery. And you might ask yourself: Will you be happy LONGER with a K7 or a KX? Is one a starter camera that you'll have to upgrade soon? For starter, why not get something used, cheap? For a long-term tool, why not get the current best? Have fun with the answers!