Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-x or K-7?

Hiya, I've been looking around trying to find the perfect camera for myself when I came across the K-7. I absolutely fell in love with the camera but the problem is that it's a little out of my price range. I am a newbie when it comes to DSLR cameras so this would be my first digital camera. My question is whether I should splurge on the K-7 or if I should try out the K-X first and then decide whether I should go for the larger camera.

I'm worried that I might get a really expensive camera and then give up the hobby because it's too confusing or I just don't enjoy the hobby. Should I buy the smaller and cheaper camera and then think about buying a more expensive camera or should I splurge on the expensive camera?

Thanks for the help!
-Marie

02-08-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Splurge and get the K-7....you'll be load you got what you wanted and more than likely the budget thing wont be as big of a deal as time passes.

Jason
02-08-2010, 02:14 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Splurge and get the K-7....you'll be load you got what you wanted and more than likely the budget thing wont be as big of a deal as time passes.

Jason
Marie,
I would tend to agree with Jasvox. But I have a couple of suggestions:

First you should try hands-on the cameras. Nothing beat the personal feel. Which camera body feels best in your hands? The K-x is a slightly smaller body and people with large hands do not like the tied space between the buttons. The K-7 is a little bit bigger, although still small compared to the D90, D5000 and even the 500D. Do not decide until you try both camera in your hands. You do not want to be disappointed by the handling of your new camera.

Second what are your needs? Will you shoot many indoor or outdoor? For indoor, the K-x with its good high ISO performances is possibly the better choice. Outdoor, nothing can beat the weather-resistance of the K-7 and your choice would be obvious (the K-7 ).

Third, what lens(es) do you intend to use? the kit lens(es), an all-rounder lens 18-250mm, some fast primes ? If you are a beginner, the 18-55 WR kit lens is a good value at $100 for a start.

Your total budget however is not just the camera body, but it must include the lens(es), the carry bag, the memory card, and a few accessories (brush, blower...). When you put together all these, the price difference between the K-7 and K-x is moderate to small.

While I leans towards the K-7, Damn Brit is right: you will not be disappointed by either the K-7 or the K-x. They are the latest and most advanced Pentax cameras, and you will enjoy either.

Finally, a personal note: I had had a couple of P&S ultra zooms, and then .... I plunged for the K-7 with the 18-250mm altogether in a small top loader bag. I have used it for 3 months and I am delighted by the image quality: I am not going back to a P&S.

Hope that the comments will assist....

Last edited by hcc; 02-08-2010 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Typos
02-08-2010, 06:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd definitely recommend the K-x over the K-7, for mostly the same reasons stated by Damn Brit above. I had the same dilemma a few months back, and I chose a K-7. I love my choice, but I think my wife would've preferred a K-x. With a K-x, she could just pick up the camera and shoot pictures without having to learn about things like exposure, depth of field, shutter speed, etc. But she'd have the option to learn those things over time and get the most out of the camera.

With a K-7, she can use the Green function to do things automatically, but results vary depending on shooting conditions. When she picks up the camera, it's usually in full Manual mode (because I'm the one who usually uses it) and the first shots she takes are ruined. She's had a hard time learning all the technical photography stuff, despite being an optometrist.

Honestly, for the price difference, the K-x comes packed with features and has amazing image quality (sometimes even better than a K-7 in low light situations!). Both cameras support all the same lenses, most of the same accessories, and can get outstanding pictures. Both will easily cater to advanced photographers, but only the K-x will cater well to beginners.

With the savings, stick a wide-range zoom like the 18-250mm on there, and you'll have everything you need to learn advanced photography stuff for a long time to come. You're not likely to outgrow a K-x anytime soon.

(remember, this is from a K-7 owner!)

02-08-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MariesMeow Quote
Hiya, I've been looking around trying to find the perfect camera for myself when I came across the K-7. I absolutely fell in love with the camera but the problem is that it's a little out of my price range. I am a newbie when it comes to DSLR cameras so this would be my first digital camera. My question is whether I should splurge on the K-7 or if I should try out the K-X first and then decide whether I should go for the larger camera.

I'm worried that I might get a really expensive camera and then give up the hobby because it's too confusing or I just don't enjoy the hobby. Should I buy the smaller and cheaper camera and then think about buying a more expensive camera or should I splurge on the expensive camera?

Thanks for the help!
-Marie
Marie,

I think both cameras would serve you quite well. Both can be put into a full auto mode that will get you shooting right out of the box. Both will give you room to grow into the hobby (so will any other Pentax DSLR).

That said, the recommendation to try and put your hands on both cameras shouldn't be taken lightly. First and foremost, if you find using the camera uncomfortable, you won't use it. I tend to prefer the heavier, larger, cameras because I have large hands that tend to cramp up while holding a smaller camera. I could never get use to using a small point and shoot. I find the fit, finish, and feel of the flagship cameras more appealing and comfortable to use than the 'step up from P&S' cameras. I'm not a fan of rainbow colored plastic feeling cameras, but that's just me. Admittedly, I've never held a Kx and base my statement on comparing previous models to the flagship options of the time (K100d vs K10d, etc).

The second consideration, were I you, would be the feature (or lack thereof) set. The Kx has a lot of nice scene modes intended to comfort the P&S user into the DSLR world. The K7, does not. Personally, I think they are a crutch. While people can, will, and do use them quite happily, they don't offer the opportunity to think beyond flipping the dial (or setting a menu option) to match a given situation. Once you master exposure for depth of field, and shutter speed, you'll be able to rule your photography world. Again, both cameras will let you do this. I say, Jump right in with both feet from the get go. I really suggest though that you do a side by side feature compare
and decide what is most important to you.

There are two areas where I think the K7 really shines over the Kx in practical use. Weather sealing and it doesn't use AA batteries as it's main source of power (no, I'm not going to debate the matter). The reason I don't like AA in DSLRs, is that all types are NOT compatible with the cameras. The tend to require expensive sets of batteries to work reliably. This is well documented in the last several years and is the one issue that I will take the online peer review word for it. True, a pack from the local drug store may get you over a battery-less hump but I feel it's throwing good money after bad. Spares for the K7 can be had at $10 or less each and a couple extra fully charged batteries will last you for a couple weeks (of shooting) at least.

If you decide to go for the K7 (That Is my recommendation), Do get the kit lens. You are then weather sealed right out of the box and for the extra change, it really isn't a bad lens. Much improved over the original kit lenses. If you decide AAs are a need, the K7 will run on them with the addition of the vertical grip (of course, you have to buy the grip to get that option). Get a couple extra batteries, and a good fast card for your HD video. The only thing the K7 lacks that I sort of wish it had, is an articulated screen (flip out for different viewing angles).

I invite you to view my Flikr albums. Most people pics I keep private for family but there are a few sprinkled about. I purchased the K7 mid November so anything before that was taken with either the K20 or the K10.

One last thing.. Regardless of the camera, if you get stuck, don't hesitate to ask for help.

Good luck..
02-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
Igilligan

Get the kx ---

Absolutely get the Kx... especially if money is an issue... There are so many other accessories that you will also want to get and if the K7 is already near the top of what you can afford.... it only gets more expensive.

The K-x is a great little camera and you can use it to learn the hobby.

It out performs the K7 at higher ISO... therefore a little more forgiving to a beginner.

The Kx + 18-55 + 55-300 is going for about 650 on amazon.

The K7 is at the end of its retail life cycle... A new K7x will be announced and that will drive the price of the new K7 down, and if the new k7x has the improved sensor from the kx... there will be a ton of used K7's on this marketplace.

So get the Kx and that 2 kit combo and then if 6 months from now the hobby becomes a passion for you and you still want the k7 you can get one a lot cheaper.

Many of these nice folks mean well, but they cant wrap their minds around people who really have monetary limits. And they love photography and their gear...

The commitment to a camera at the level and price of the K7 and accessories, is for people who already know they truly enjoy the 'Hobby/craft' or for newbies who have unlimited funds.

Last edited by Igilligan; 02-08-2010 at 11:03 AM.
02-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I think both cameras would serve you quite well. Both can be put into a full auto mode that will get you shooting right out of the box. Both will give you room to grow into the hobby (so will any other Pentax DSLR).
I agree, so if you have the chance to try both, you can consider they "feel" as a factor.

Otherwise, frankly, I'd go with the cheaper camera - most people just starting out will have no particular use for for any of the things that make more expensive camera more expensive, and you can spend the money saved on lenses, which everyone does have use for. If you get much more serious later, you can always upgrade the body - and chances are, you would anyhow even if you bought the K-7.

But if something about the K-7 strikes you are being worth spending the extra money on, an you can afford it, then I certainly wouldn't worry you were making a mistake by doing that, either.

QuoteQuote:
The Kx has a lot of nice scene modes intended to comfort the P&S user into the DSLR world. The K7, does not. Personally, I think they are a crutch.
Agreed again. The basic "P" mode is already nicely automatic; it's really more trouble than it's worth, and not that effective when you get down to it, to dial in specific scene modes above and beyond the automation already provide by "P" mode. When you do get to the point of wanting to override exposure defaults, you might as well learn to do so directly (using Av or one of the other "semi-automatic" modes) rather than hoping one of the scene modes will happen to do exactly what you want.

QuoteQuote:
(no, I'm not going to debate the matter). The reason I don't like AA in DSLRs, is that all types are NOT compatible with the cameras. The tend to require expensive sets of batteries to work reliably.
Well, there's no debating personal choice, but I do at least want to correct an incorrect statement here. At around $10 a set, Eneloops are hardly "expensive" - certainly no more so than the proprietary batteries used in cameras that require them. And given they also last for hundreds of shots and hundreds of recharge cycles, there really is no performance based reason to prefer proprietary batteries, either. There may be other personal preferences involved to make one prefer one over the other, but on the basis of cost or performance, no.

02-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
The K7 is at the end of its retail life cycle... A new K7x will be announced and that will drive the price of the new K7 down, and if the new k7x has the improved sensor from the kx... there will be a ton of used K7's on this marketplace.
That's a strange statement... do you know something I don't? The K-7 has been on the market for 7 months. The K20D was Pentax's flagship for 16 months before the K-7 was available. The K10D was their flagship for 14 months before the K20D was available. 7 months seems like an awfully short time for the K-7 to be superseded already. But if it really is going to happen, I'd love to know about it.
02-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
Igilligan

YES I do know something
02-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

YES I do know something
Then share it! Please!
02-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
Igilligan

Loose Lips... sink ships

Just trust me
02-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Just trust me
That statement is reason enough not to.
02-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #13
Igilligan

Just trust me

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
That statement is reason enough not to.
No kidding...

Ranks right up there with "True Story"
02-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #14
Inactive Account

No kidding...

Ranks right up there with "True Story"
02-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for all of the help everyone! I think i'm heading towards buying the k-x and then maybe in the future upgrading to a k-7. I have one more question. Since there aren't any camera stores that sell pentax cameras in my area, I was wondering if anyone could describe or compare the feel/grip of the camera to me. I know that the feeling of the camera is a big part of the buying process but I just don't have the option of getting to hold the camera before buying it. Does it feel similar to any nikon/canon/olympus/etc.?

Thanks so much!