Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
P30T lens question!

okay, i'm working quick here so i'm researching and posting this at the same time. i have a chance to pick up a P30T film camera with 50mm lens. That's all the info i have at the moment, so i'm trying to figure out which lens it may be. almost every image i can find of this camera seems to have the Pentax-A 50mm 1.2 and from what i've found in the PF lens database these lenses are hundreds of dollars on their own. I'm picking up the camera + lens for $50. seems like a no brainer and i'm worried maybe there's something I'm missing here. anyone have the pinch to my dream find here?

02-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Probably the 1:2, a very common kit lens, and not the expensive 1:1.2.

Misreading these two is a pretty common error.
02-08-2010, 12:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Probably the 1:2, a very common kit lens, and not the expensive 1:1.2.

Misreading these two is a pretty common error.
ahhhh....there we go. That would have to be it i'm sure. Thanks for the prompt reply!
02-08-2010, 04:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You're very welcome. If the camera and lens are both in good condition it's a good deal. And if by some miracle the lens really is the 1.2, be sure to post that info where it will generate the maximum amount of envy.

02-08-2010, 06:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I see this on eBay all the time, the seller sees 1:2 on the lens and lists it as 1.2. Looking closely at the pictures usually clears that up.

Sometimes I wonder if the seller does this "accidentally" on purpose. Some of them seem knowledgeable enough to know better.
02-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, this guy seemed more or less like he doesn't really know what he has, but at the same time just listed the camera as coming with a 50mm lens. Didn't saying anything about any of the markings on the lens so it's not like he was looking to scam anyone. He also posted a picture but the image was too small to see what was printed on the lens.

I still may go after this camera because the only 50mm lenses i have are manual focus, which is okay with me but i wouldn't mind the option to use auto-focus. plus my 1.4 is screwmount which is a pita out in the field and my Pentax-M 1:2 is just ever so slightly nicked along the filter ring, so i'm unable to attach a filter to it.
02-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by irishwhite Quote
Yeah, this guy seemed more or less like he doesn't really know what he has, but at the same time just listed the camera as coming with a 50mm lens. Didn't saying anything about any of the markings on the lens so it's not like he was looking to scam anyone. He also posted a picture but the image was too small to see what was printed on the lens.
There are lies of omission as well as lies of commission.

QuoteQuote:
I still may go after this camera because the only 50mm lenses i have are manual focus, which is okay with me but i wouldn't mind the option to use auto-focus. plus my 1.4 is screwmount which is a pita out in the field and my Pentax-M 1:2 is just ever so slightly nicked along the filter ring, so i'm unable to attach a filter to it.
I have never found screwmount to be a pita out in the field, but I guess it is just a matter of what you're used to.

02-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have never found screwmount to be a pita out in the field, but I guess it is just a matter of what you're used to.
me neither, I love my screwmount 50mm f1.4, I never go anywhere without it.
02-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
by being a pain, i meant switching from one to the other in the frigid windy winter evening as i had done recently switching from a kmount 50mm, throwing on the adapter, and then screwing on my super-tak 150. don't get me wrong, i won't hesitate to do it, i just prefer to do it in a quicker manner.
02-09-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

by being a pain, i meant switching from one to the other in the frigid windy winter evening as i had done recently switching from a kmount 50mm, throwing on the adapter, and then screwing on my super-tak 150. don't get me wrong, i won't hesitate to do it, i just prefer to do it in a quicker manner.
Despite my fanatical love of the Takumars, I would never try to tell anyone that they (or any other M42 lens) are right for every shooter or every situation.

The easy solution to the aggravation of switching from K-mount to M42 and is to fill your bag with M42 lenses. They are all I carry with me 99% of the time.
02-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The A series lenses are not auto focus.
02-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Despite my fanatical love of the Takumars, I would never try to tell anyone that they (or any other M42 lens) are right for every shooter or every situation.

The easy solution to the aggravation of switching from K-mount to M42 and is to fill your bag with M42 lenses. They are all I carry with me 99% of the time.
Fair enough. i do enjoy my 2 m42 lenses.

I've got another option...carry two bodies! a bit fantastical for someone of my novice nature (as was easily pointed out multiple times in this topic alone) but it is available!
02-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Fair enough. i do enjoy my 2 m42 lenses.

I've got another option...carry two bodies! a bit fantastical for someone of my novice nature (as was easily pointed out multiple times in this topic alone) but it is available!
It is all about enjoying photography in whatever way suits you best. If you feel like carrying two bodies, go for it. (I usually have at least two or three in arm's reach at any given time).