Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Spots on sensor

Should I try to clean the sensor myself or take the camera to a shop? I tried using a blower, which didn't help. The spots look like grease spots. You can see them in the sky in the below pics.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mdRpyrmx6Y_6sNt_5fRv0g?authkey=Gv1sRgCO...eat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KvOUm8WMS_mCuCp5BHJNfw?authkey=Gv1sRgCO...eat=directlink

Last edited by sweet bay; 02-09-2010 at 07:58 AM.
02-09-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Same as I had. For what it's worth, I ended up getting something called an "arctic butterfly". It's a cracking little thing, a battery powered brush (which when operated shakes off the dust and charges it so that any dist picked up when you stroke it over the sensor sticks to it). Did the job for me.
02-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice dust shots!
I had to face my first cleaning last month and settled on the Copper Hill Images kit. No problems using it and I lost all the specs. Its no big deal to clean it yourself.
02-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I'm glad you liked the dust shots!

02-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You may want to serch the site for other threads on this subject. Rather than sharing my fine collection of dust spots, I will say that yours are definately of good quality. My K10 seems more prone to this than my K20 but...time will tell.

What I've found so far is that a rocket blower is the first tool to use. Then, I use my Delkin tools for a better cleaning which I can see the sensor with the included scope.

Delkin Devices | SensorScope 2 Cleaning Kit | DDSS-SCOPE2 | B&H

Even with that, it's not a bad idea to get your sensor cleaned once a year professionally - depending on the cost. I've seen prices between $40 to $80 per cleaning. I got lucky with my k20 which had to go in for repairs to Pentax. They cleaned it even though it was not part of the repair. Nice.

Also look around there are a lot of tools to do a cleaning with. I picked the expensive $99 Delkin system because my local store said, 'it's what the pros use anyway.' It's helped but I guess I'm not a good as a pro, close but not as good.

So to your question? My answer is that you should try do it with the right tools. The first time is the hardest...go gentely.
02-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I had the same problem with dirty dried rain drops. See this post: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/278818-post10.html

Since posting that, which was concerning cleaning a K100DS, I've also had the same problem with a K20D. In both instances, the Pentax sensor clean kit has worked. I have to be more careful changing lenses in very light rain - keep the body vertical.

Dan.
02-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #7

I have used the Pentax O-ICK1 Cleaning Kit on both of my K10D bodies. My experience has been that it works fine, even on "sticky" dust. Safe (it's made by Pentax expressly for their DSLR's) and easy to use. I believe both Amazon and Adorama have it, cheaper than when I ordered it a couple of years ago from Japan.

Richard

02-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #8

I received a new Kx last weekend with the two-lens set and there was a similar spot on the sensor, though it was about twice the size. I returned it, not really wanting to clean the sensor on a new camera.

Here's a simple question: Are some cameras more prone to sensor spots than others? I read some threads where people extol how clean the sensor stays (in the Panasonic and Olympus families, particularly).
02-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
Here's a simple question: Are some cameras more prone to sensor spots than others? I read some threads where people extol how clean the sensor stays (in the Panasonic and Olympus families, particularly).
Depends if the spot is a "dust bunny" or a smudge from a dried liquid. Sensor shaking may shake off dust but it won't remove a smudge. Olympus (don't know about Panasonic) is supposed to have a very good sensor shaking (SWF - Supersonic Wave Filter) mechanism. Don't know if the difference in performance in this area still holds true nowdays.

Dan
02-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #10

The shake did not work at all. I had previously ordered the 18-55 and 55-300 kit, but the 55-300 was very very noisy (that may be normal for that lens with the K-x) and so I returned it for the 18-55 and 50-200. I liked the latter kit better, the (shorter) zoom being just what I wanted and much much quieter, except for the spot.
02-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
I liked the latter kit better, the (shorter) zoom being just what I wanted and much much quieter, except for the spot.
Are you saying the spot went away when you changed lenses?

Dan.
02-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #12
Forum Member

My spots looked similar to yours. I believe mine were caused by condensation when the camera was taken from the air conditioned car out into warm humid air. My lens and viewfinder were fogged over for several minutes. Repeat that a few times and you are certain to eventually get sensor blobs.

I purchased a sensor cleaning kit comprised of serveral swabs and cleaning fluid for about $25 at Calument.
02-10-2010, 01:59 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Nice dust shots!
I had to face my first cleaning last month and settled on the Copper Hill Images kit. No problems using it and I lost all the specs. Its no big deal to clean it yourself.
I have the exact same experience with this kit. It works great and cleaning your own sensor is not magical and it's not hard at all.

To learn how: http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=tutorials

Buy: Copper Hill Images
02-10-2010, 03:03 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Are you saying the spot went away when you changed lenses?

Dan.
No, the spot was there with both lenses, it was present for all photos.
02-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #15

Spot examples

Three examples of the spot, two from the 18-55 and one from the 50-200. They all reside on the left side, at about 9 o'clock. The spot shows up to the immediate right of the two people on the Umbrellas of Cherbourg, immediately above the branch to the left of the bottlebrush, and the left of the sponge on the counter top.

Name:  IMGP0010sensor.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  71.3 KB

Name:  IMGP0028sensor.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  IMGP0036sensor.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  36.1 KB