Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Gringo Quote
sigh. okay, once again:

There IS NO "local camera shop" in this entire nation. Not one. None.

No camera shop. forget camera shop. Forget the "$10" bulb concept. It does not exist here.
Well, it doesn't have to be a blower sold exclusively in camera shops. If there is a drugstore, pharmacy, or a hospital supply store nearby, check if they stock any squeeze blower (for babies, for example). Those work just as well, and I use one regularly.

A very soft-bristled brush that doesn't micro-scratch the sensor-screen may be the best dry-cleaning option, IMHO. Not sure what type of brush is best suited for this, however.

02-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #32

ah, you mean like a really soft artists brush, or a makeup brush...? thanks for the idea.

and I can probably find one of those air syringe bulbs they sell for sucking snot out of a baby's nose kind of thing.
02-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Two words - Arctic Butterfly. It's a brush which charges up electrostatically then you very lightly run it over the filter which is what you have access to, not the sensor, and job done.

Personally, I do not like blowers. They may shift the dirt, but all they do is launch it into the air only to land wherever. I use a piece of soft silicone tube stuck into the end of the Hoover hose.

I have the Delkin kit and the lens scope is OK, but the vacuum is a joke.
02-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #34

never mind. I'll figure it out on my own.

02-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Gringo. Take a look at this. Good DIY guide for cleaning sensor dust from Adorama. You will find the make-up brush trick explained...I think you charge the brush with short bursts of air from your squeeze bulb.
My heart is in your latitude and I love your blog. Makes me long for a night at Foxy's.
Give Dooley the Dusty a pat for me and good luck with your sensor.
02-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, the same basic type of thing is often used for removing mucous, as well as cleaning ears, basting chickens, etc. It's just a hollow rubber bulb with a hole in the end you can use to direct a clean stream of air at the sensor. If you really trust your compressor not to add any gunk to the air stream, to direct the flow narrowly enough, and to moderate the flow so you don't actually dislodge any parts of the camera, it could work - it just seems like a much more awkward solution.

And yes, when blowing the dust off, you do want to hold the camera in such a way that it doesn't just land on the sensor again.