Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2010, 12:07 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Can I remove the "A" position lock on my aperture ring

I have a promaster 28-80 3.5. I enjoy having the "A" postion for when I just need a decent shot and want to shoot in auto mode. But for those times I want to go all manual, the pin to press to release the lock is right under the flash, and my fat fingers have a tough time doing so.

I know I can set the aperture electronically on the camera, but twisting the ring is just so much more convenient.

Can my total lens illiterate newbie self remove the lock so that I can just twist it out of auto mode with out having to press the small button

02-10-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't know if you can remove the A position lock on that particular lens.

But I'd like to comment on this statement:

QuoteOriginally posted by MikesChevelle Quote
I know I can set the aperture electronically on the camera, but twisting the ring is just so much more convenient.
It may not so convenient as it seems. If the aperture ring is not at the A position, to get proper exposure, you have to:

- Set the camera to M mode.

- Hit the green button (or AE-lock, if there is no green button).

Even then, the exposure may not be correct (overexposure likely).

Think twice before modifying the lens.
02-10-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm thinking if you are too clumsy to work the "A" button, then you have little chance of opening, modifying, and closing a lens.
02-10-2010, 12:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I'm thinking if you are too clumsy to work the "A" button, then you have little chance of opening, modifying, and closing a lens.
Amen. What are you thinking?

02-10-2010, 12:57 AM   #5

Original Poster
Its not a matter of clumsiness, its tucked fairly tight right under the flash housing, making it hard to get to.
02-10-2010, 01:20 AM   #6
Damn Brit

Its not a matter of clumsiness, its tucked fairly tight right under the flash housing, making it hard to get to.
Photography isn't a race, take your time. If you have to, dismount the lens to move the A button (or move it before you mount the lens). If you're in a hurry to take a shot, you're not going to use the lens that way anyway.

Alternatively, shave one of your fat fingers down.
02-10-2010, 02:47 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Can my total lens illiterate newbie self remove the lock so that I can just twist it out of auto mode with out having to press the small button
Yes, you probably can:
- with the lens off the camera, clamp the button down and carefully put epoxy around it - that'll hold it down permanently (don't glue the clamp to the button! - grease the clamp face.)

OR

- remove the lens flange & disable the button; this is risky business as you might lose the little ball bearing that makes the aperture ring click.

QuoteQuote:
Practicing the use of the ewheel is more convenient in the long run than either of the above alternatives.
02-10-2010, 07:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

ON certain of my early M42 lens purchases, I found A+M operation bothersome. I superglued-down the aperture pins so the lenses were always manual. Now, I mightily wish that I hadn't done so. (I have yet to find a good superglue solvent.) That was before I'd learned to use SuperManual mode and the Green Button on my K20D. It's a BAD idea to permanently disable some lens feature, unless 1) you have REALLY good reasons, and 2) you REALLY know what you're doing. Better to suffer a little inconvenience now, than a scrapheap lens later.

02-10-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
ON certain of my early M42 lens purchases, I found A+M operation bothersome. I superglued-down the aperture pins so the lenses were always manual. Now, I mightily wish that I hadn't done so. (I have yet to find a good superglue solvent.) That was before I'd learned to use SuperManual mode and the Green Button on my K20D. It's a BAD idea to permanently disable some lens feature, unless 1) you have REALLY good reasons, and 2) you REALLY know what you're doing. Better to suffer a little inconvenience now, than a scrapheap lens later.
try alcohol or methyl hydrate.

I think that is what they use when people get glued to toilet seats.

also I believe this breaks down with heat. try a hair dryer
02-10-2010, 08:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I have a promaster 28-80 3.5. I enjoy having the "A" postion for when I just need a decent shot and want to shoot in auto mode. But for those times I want to go all manual, the pin to press to release the lock is right under the flash, and my fat fingers have a tough time doing so.

why can't you just use manual exposure (set on the camera body) and adjust aperture and shutter using the camera controls.

That's why they are there.

i know it is not as easy with the single wheel on the *istDL you have in your signature, but it seems much better than your solution, where it is easy tio hit the aperture ring and take it out of manual.

That is why some of these buttons are difficult to get at in the first place, to stop you from doing it unintentionally
02-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

I think, acetone too is a superglue solvent.
02-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Ether works well also. (Use with adequate ventilation!)
02-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #13

For those few times you want to go manual and use the ring, I suggest just dismounting the lens and move it off "A".
I prefer to use the camera dial instead of the ring when in manual mode because I can see the aperture setting in the viewfinder and I have the aperture setting recorded in the EXIF.

Last edited by ma318; 02-10-2010 at 12:13 PM.
02-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Nail polish remover works well, but you must work carefully so as not to dissolve something you would rather keep. The main ingredient is acetone.
02-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #15
Site Supporter

I hereby pronounce this thread "Bananas" primarily based on the original post.
Maybe several feet of duct tape cut into thin strips or an appropriate C - clamp on that little bugger is what you are looking fer.
Bananas! Madness I say.