Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Want to try my K7 in the snow...Advice

We're getting a nice snowfall today on Long Island and I want to shoot some shots with the K7 I picked up a few weeks ago.

I plan to set the iso to 100 and adjust the exposure to -1. I'll set the aperture depending on the effect of the particular shot. I'm a newbie so maybe I don't have a good plan.

I'll be shooting along Bethpage Park nearby where they had last years US Open.
Very woody area but no lakes or ponds.

Any advice?

Thanks

02-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Depending on how much snow covers the scene, you might actually need to adjust the exposure compensation up, not down. If there's too much snow, the camera may try to meter off the snow. As a result, the camera might lower the exposure to make the white appear more neutral grey, which is not what you want. To counter this effect, you'll probably want to set exposure compensation to something like +0.5 or +1

- Jason
02-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
Good thing that I asked-
Getting ready to leave in a few minutes......

Thanks!
02-10-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Just make sure the photos aren't overexposed either on the histogram. When doing PP, adjust the exposure until the snow is almost white. I see pictures with snow that are clearly too dark very often.

02-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #5

Original Poster
I'll have UV filter on the 18/55 lens and a UV Haze on the 50/200. I also have a polarizer for the shorted lens. I'll shoot bracketed starting with +1.0. I'll also short RAW+.

Off I go................
02-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seachunk2 Quote
We're getting a nice snowfall today on Long Island and I want to shoot some shots with the K7 I picked up a few weeks ago.

I plan to set the iso to 100 and adjust the exposure to -1. I'll set the aperture depending on the effect of the particular shot. I'm a newbie so maybe I don't have a good plan.

I'll be shooting along Bethpage Park nearby where they had last years US Open.
Very woody area but no lakes or ponds.

Any advice?

Thanks
My personal system for exposure on snowy days is to meter the snow and add two stops. I use M mode - anything else gets really confused by varying amounts of bright white in the scene.
02-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Watch out for condensation when you move from outdoor to indoor. During last weekend snow storm, I managed to fog the viewfinder simply by breathing while focusing. That by itself it not a big issue, but condensation inside the camera and len is. Here are some good prior threads:

Condensation on lens
High Humidity shooting
02-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #8

Shoot in raw+. This is specially useful when dealing with snow. Later If you are not happy with your jpeg image, you can always adjust your raw file in terms of WB, exposures, color and other aspects. Check this example i posted.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-printing-software-darkroo...ore-after.html

02-11-2010, 01:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The actual amount of Exposure Compensation you'll need will depend entirely on how much snow is in your shot. For example, say you have it set to +1 EV, you take the picture, and you find that it's too bright (blew some highlights). You turn it down to +2/3 EV and re-shoot, only this time, you're aiming a few inches higher and there's less snow in your scene. Odds are, your picture will be even BRIGHTER than before, even though you turned down the EV compensation.

Shooting snow is very tricky. All that white just confuses the light meter in your camera, and the slightest change in composition will result in completely different exposures if you rely on the camera to make the choices.

My method for shooting outdoors in snow conditions:

- turn mode dial to M
- pick an aperture appropriate for the scenes
- aim camera at scene (no need to look in the viewfinder or focus, just aim in the general direction)
- press Green button to set a shutter speed (I have Custom Function #28 set to 2)
- take test picture, examine result
- adjust shutter speed up or down, depending on previous result
- take another test picture

rinse and repeat until the exposure is right. At that point, your camera is set for taking a bunch of pictures under your current lighting conditions. No need to adjust EV compensation for every shot, no need to worry about shutter speed, aperture or ISO, no need to worry about how much snow is in your shot. Just aim, focus and shoot. If you move to an area that has different lighting (like under trees), adjust the shutter speed and take a couple more test shots to get your camera setup for the new lighting, then continue shooting.

It's a huge time-saver.
02-11-2010, 03:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

For consistent metering in snow, you can meter off a gray card, or the palm of your hand. That last trick doesn't work if you are dark skinned, but is perfect with the majority of anglo-saxons.
02-11-2010, 03:56 AM   #11

Just try and make sure you dont either blow highlights and/or lose too much in the shadows.... if you have a lot of snow the camera will underexpose.... this itself is not normally an issue as you can correct in PP later but any darker areas of the scene may be lost in shadow...

If in doubt do bracketed shots... and/or HDR (ideally with tripod)
also shoot in Raw to give max possibilities in PP.
02-11-2010, 04:31 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulelescoces Quote
Just try and make sure you dont either blow highlights and/or lose too much in the shadows.... if you have a lot of snow the camera will underexpose.... this itself is not normally an issue as you can correct in PP later but any darker areas of the scene may be lost in shadow...

If in doubt do bracketed shots... and/or HDR (ideally with tripod)
also shoot in Raw to give max possibilities in PP.

Instead of bracketing I hold a (or two) large "hard step" grad square ND filter in front of the lens. I adjust the edge of the graduating area to be in line with the snow or sky and take the shot. Lots of people prefer taking multiple bracketted shots and the combining them in a single shot in photoshop, but I find filters easier and quicker. They are not cheap however, I could only find them large enough from singh-ray......
02-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #13

Original Poster
I'm the OP and I'd like to post a shot I took.

I'm having a problem uploading.

I think the file are too large.

If I figure it out I'll post.

I'll ask my son how when he gets home.

Tried compressing the file but I'm doing something wrong cause it's not working.

I get a message that a token is missing when I try to upload.
02-13-2010, 06:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Try not to drop it.
02-13-2010, 09:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Gloves

Get some gloves. The metal body is nicer than plastic in alot of ways. How cold it gets is not one of them.