Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Vivitar 2x Teleconverter PK-A/R-PK - is it broken?

Hiya,

Just got a teleconverter off of ebay which was supposed to have 'tested to work' electronics on it. It's a PK-A/R-PK so prior to mounting I took out the ricoh pin prior to mounting on my K10d.

The auction stated that it allowed autofocus, but as I now understand it my lens uses the on-board focusing motor (a lil turny thing on the mount), and this TC has no pass through for that. I've not got any lenses with onboard motors for focusing. Furthermore, there seems to be no electrical contact whatsoever between the camera and lens as there is no aperture control but for some reason the camera is reporting f/8 in the exif data but no focal length measurement.

So, does this TC not work with DSLRs, with pentax cameras, or is it defective? I'd like to know prior to approaching the seller. Pic's attached for reference.

Attached Images

02-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your lens does appear to have all the contacts required to use auto exposure. It does not have the shaft to drive the AF in the lens. If your lens is not on "A" aperture, you won't get auto exposure. The camera side of the TC seems to have very dark looking contacts. Try cleaning them carefully with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and a microfiber cloth.

If you must have AF capability, you need a different TC.
02-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hi - I just got one of these myself as a gift and I removed the evil Ricoh pin also! You are correct that it will not pass through the autofocus screw drive from the camera body... So if the seller misrepresented that, you may have an issue. But if he showed full pictures, he can argue that you knew what you were getting... just speculating...

However, it should work fine on our DSLRs (I'm using a K-x). One good thing about it is that it has the electrical contacts for "A" lenses. That means that the camera body can still comunicate with an "A" lens on the other side of this doubler - they are not all like that, so that's a plus.

I'm not sure about image quality - have not really evaluated it for that. But I did put an "A" lens on it and that seemed to work fine. If you got it for, say, less than $30 shipped, I think it's fine.... If you got it for over $50 and need it to auto focus... you may want to return it. Someone on this forum is selling a Quantaray auto-focusing teleconverter right now. If you go to the marketplace, he's posted pics which show the little screw drive.

If you keep this one, let me know what you think of it, image wise.