Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2010, 11:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Hemi345: Is this as good as it gets with K-x & kit lens?
I can genuinely feel your frustration. When I bought the K20d and a fast $400+ lens to go along with it 2 years back, I remember thinking "Wow, this ought to leave my Canon S3 in the dust." Of course, I was wrong--in some ways.

P & S cameras are amazing performers at the DOF game--truly amazing. So much so, that at least for some of my Macro work, I am considering going back to a P & S camera. But in your specific situation, pictures of the bambino, you can easily get the Kx flexing all its muscles, making happy with the $650 expense.

So much great advice has already been given to you. My suggestion, which is the least expensive solution, is to get an older hot-shoe flash--nothing fancy. I got one, free, thrown in with a lens from an Ebay win not too long ago. Just be sure the flash is compatible with your Kx.

Here is a shot @ f8, with a very old zoom lens @ about 100mm. This was done with the free hot shoe flash I happened upon, and my K20d. My K20 is not as good a performer as is your Kx in the ISO game. With flash, you can shoot at some fast shutter speeds, depending upon how close you are to the bambino of course. It takes a little while to get the knack, but you'll soon be posting a thread off here at our forum with awesome shots of the babe. This will allow you, if you so desire, to save for some faster glass--though you do not need to.

02-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
IGilligan: this is with 20 dollar 30 year old Helios 44M 58mm manually focused at F2 -- ISO 3200
Gus, that is some awesome work! Beautiful. I will soon get me one of those Helios gems, especially now that Stevebrot posted a thread on how to pick one out.
02-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #18
Pentaxian

To get the maximum sharpness/resolution out of the kit lens, shoot between f5.6 and f11 if you can.

(see here for details:
Pentax smc DA 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II review - Image resolution - Lenstip.com )

Also shoot in RAW, since it will give you quite a bit more resolution than JPG.

Plus always shoot at over 1/90 if you are dealing with unpredictably moving subjects like kids under ambient light.

And don't be afraid to let the ISO go to 3200 or even higher with the K-x in order to use a higher shutter speed or smaller aperture. The K-x can deliver great results even at 3200 and above.

And yes, if the pain persists, consider an external flash, especially one with a swivel head that you can bounce off the ceiling or something in order to soften it.
02-11-2010, 12:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
rawr: And don't be afraid to let the ISO go to 3200 or even higher with the K-x in order to use a higher shutter speed or smaller aperture. The K-x can deliver great results even at 3200 and above.
Excellent advice--even cheaper than the external flash and making good use of the OP's original investment $$.

02-11-2010, 01:56 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery
While I would first comment that I find the Kx image far more pleasing from the samples you have uploaded the level of sharpness in the crop is not great.... however, first... consider how much of a problem this really is.... if you compose your shots well and dont intend to print on a huge poster its probably not a very significant problem.

regarding the sharpness... and to concur with whats been said.

- The Kx lens is operating at its least favourable point... you could increase aperture but you will pay the price in shutter speed and/or ISO.

- your ISO is 1600, this will induce some softening when doing NR, softening will be clearly visible in 100% crops.

I use a K20D and typically find that in lowlight... due to camera metering that the result will be brighter than reality... by "underexposing" I find I can better replicate the "reality"... and also gain in either ISO/Speed/Aperture. For my K20D I quickly bought a MF K50 1.4 which can be picked up at low cost, works great in low light but my hands are often not quick enough to focus in manually on moving children
Also, manipulating the lighting to give you more freedom is another option... one way to do this is via a flash... but while in the house an additional lamp can also work.
02-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Hemi345, don't be afraid of the built in flash. If you adjust for it it won't be to bad. One thing you could try is to switch to Tv mode slow the shutter speed to around 1/15th and then use the flash. you will get good ambient light and the flash will freeze the action in front of the camera. If the flash is to harsh you can adjust the flash EV down a bit.
02-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I think the problems here are pretty simple and while they've been touched on, it's kind of getting lost:

- The K-x shot is probably focused on the arm, and DOF is not enough to make the face in focus. Aiming right at the head helps, but when the arm is right in front of the face like this, it's going to be impossible to force the camera to ignore it. Focusing manually is the only guaranteed way 9and then, the guarantee is provided only by your own practice & experience with MF).

- 1/50" is not fast enough to stop the motion in this shot. In the canon shot, you simply got lucky and captured a moent with less motion.

You can get a flash (no, Canon flashes won't work with Pentax) and/or a faster lens, but really, you can get much better results with what you have simply by taking more control of focus and either getting a faster shutter speed via higher ISO or else tiing your shots better. Or using the built in flash.
02-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I think the problems here are pretty simple and while they've been touched on, it's kind of getting lost:

- The K-x shot is probably focused on the arm, and DOF is not enough to make the face in focus. Aiming right at the head helps, but when the arm is right in front of the face like this, it's going to be impossible to force the camera to ignore it. Focusing manually is the only guaranteed way 9and then, the guarantee is provided only by your own practice & experience with MF).

- 1/50" is not fast enough to stop the motion in this shot. In the canon shot, you simply got lucky and captured a moent with less motion.

You can get a flash (no, Canon flashes won't work with Pentax) and/or a faster lens, but really, you can get much better results with what you have simply by taking more control of focus and either getting a faster shutter speed via higher ISO or else tiing your shots better. Or using the built in flash.
This is exactly my observation that the focusing was actually off.

02-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Another thought that I don't think has been considered (sorry if I missed it during my quick read of the thread so far) is that the SX1 has a greater DOF at wide open at f/2.8 than the K-x & kit lens wide open due to the size of the sensor. That makes it easier for the SX1 to get your full subject in focus in lower light situations.

As for your Speedlite, it looks like it doesn't have an manual mode but does it have an auto mode? Obviously you don't have any P-TTL capability, but you could use it in auto. If so, then the only problem using it would be possible trigger voltage issues. I would be surprised if that were a problem since the 270EX is so new, though.
02-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hemi345 Quote
- walls are a dark beige color, I have to PP every pic to remove the color cast (currently doing that now with the SX1+speedlite) unless there is diffuser I could use on the camera flash to avoid bouncing? If only for external flashes, that means $$$ because I'd have to purchase a flash for the K-x.
You could get Gary Fong's Puffer for the built-in flash. I'm contemplating getting one of these myself.

Gary Fong | Puffer Pop-Up Flash Diffuser | PUFFER | B&H Photo
02-11-2010, 09:20 PM   #26
Forum Member

Another question... right now the camera is set to AF.A I notice if I'm half pressing the shutter, and I move or my subject moves, I'll hear the lens refocus and focus confirmation beep again. Is the recommendation to still use AF.S?
I've found that on my K20D, using the AF.C (=AF.A on the K-x, I presume) on still and semi-still subjects causes a lot of focus hunting--that's what it's supposed to do, right? I think sometimes it tries to do it's job better than you want it to but not as well as it thinks it does. When not in manual, I use AF.S unless I'm tracking something that's really moving, and my overall results are better. It's possible that your K-x hunted around (even within the central focus area--the focal areas are actually fairly large) and ended up on the elbow. I'd try AF.S and see if your results are generally any different.
02-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
IndyTax: Another thought that I don't think has been considered (sorry if I missed it during my quick read of the thread so far) is that the SX1 has a greater DOF at wide open at f/2.8 than the K-x & kit lens wide open due to the size of the sensor.
Yes, precisely--that was what I was getting at above, though I should have been more direct, like you are here. Thanks.
02-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Marc Sabatella: You can get a flash (no, Canon flashes won't work with Pentax)
Are you certain about this one???
02-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #29

Original Poster
I took another bunch of shots tonight and found AF.S works better than AF.A for my target lighting and subject. The camera wants to use f/4 or 4.5 all the time in P mode which you all say produces soft pics. But, I've been getting some pretty good shots using the Action mode (little guy running). So I'll study EXIF data from the good shots in that mode and see what the camera used to get them. That PhotoME software is pretty nice to also see where the AF point(s) were.

The K-x's flash is pretty bad... all the shots I tried with it were awful. I put a tissue over it and it is much better. Funny you mention the Puffer,Twokat... I saw that this morning on B&H's site and was just gonna ask what peoples impressions of it were.

My Speedlite only worked once on the K-x. It went off at full power and hasn't worked since on that camera. Still works fine on the SX1... hoping like crazy I didn't fry the hotshoe on the K-x.
02-12-2010, 12:05 AM   #30
Veteran Member

It went off at full power and hasn't worked since on that camera. Still works fine on the SX1... hoping like crazy I didn't fry the hotshoe on the K-x.
This is actually pretty likely.