Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Are you certain about this one???
OK, I oversimplified. Will successfully produce light, but won't be a great choice for a beginner because of the limitations in automation.

02-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hemi345 Quote
The camera wants to use f/4 or 4.5 all the time in P mode which you all say produces soft pics.
Softer than if you stop down, sure - but in low light, you don't have that option. Or more to the point, if you do stop down more, you get shutter speeds that are too slow. This is basic photography 101 - I'd suggest a book on the subject (pretty much any will do) if you're unfamiliar with these concepts.
02-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Softer than if you stop down, sure - but in low light, you don't have that option. Or more to the point, if you do stop down more, you get shutter speeds that are too slow. This is basic photography 101 - I'd suggest a book on the subject (pretty much any will do) if you're unfamiliar with these concepts.
I know this Marc, I was just stating that for the light I'm working in, the camera wants to use f/4 which folks are saying is a problem for this lens.
02-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #34
Veteran Member

"Problem" is relative. You can get great pictures at f/4 - just not *as* great as at f/8. I don't think any of the problmes you are seeing are caused by any deficiency of the lens at f/4 - I think it's the other factors mentioned.

02-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hemi345 Quote
I missed uploading the same shot of the 55-300 lens I took with my SX1, but where the K-x used ISO 3200, the SX1 only used ISO 400 (with focal length and shutter speed being fairly similar)
You'd have to post the same shot in the same light to convince anyone of this. Sure, there can be slight variation - a fraction of a stop - in calibration of ISO levels between cameras, but absolutely no way is it anywhere near three stops as you are claiming. You are either completely misinterpreting the data, or else the light was totally different in the shots.
02-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
'Hemi345: I know this Marc, I was just stating that for the light I'm working in, the camera wants to use f/4 which folks are saying is a problem for this lens.'

'Marc Sabatella: Marc Sabatella "Problem" is relative. You can get great pictures at f/4 - just not *as* great as at f/8. I don't think any of the problmes you are seeing are caused by any deficiency of the lens at f/4 - I think it's the other factors mentioned. '
Hemi345, this is why I recommended a hot-shoe flash. The one I used in the above shot was not even a swivel head--nothing fancy. 25 years ago, when it was new, it might have sold for $20. But it allows me to shoot people, indoors, at relatively low light, at F8.

You can also learn how to shoot in manual mode, taking the camera's controls into your own hands, where you want them. In so doing, you can bump ISO with that Kx monster up to 3200, comfortably, allowing you to shoot smaller apertures. Have you tried the auto ISO mode at all, if you are not ready for manual?
02-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #37
MSM
Veteran Member

Hemi345: I feel your pain as many here have had the same experience. I started into dSLR photography to capture my little ones. I have thousands of shots like that. My first reaction is that your lighting condition (perhaps opposed to your thought at the time) is low lighting. In fact, trying to stop a toddler at 1/50s wide open at ISO 1600 = failure most of the time. Though, it never stopped me from trying! Remember, your eyes are incredible in that they can adjust for low light and color balance quickly. You get the perception that you have enough light. But, the data doesn't lie.

As a suggestion that won't cost you when faced with this 'horrible' lighting condition, is to bang away shots in series and hope to get a keeper. In my 'study' of my own children, I have found that there is always moments (very brief) where they are motionless. You want to be working on your timing around those moments. Not the most elegant solution, but it is using what you have without more expense. Good luck to you.

02-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
MSM: As a suggestion that won't cost you when faced with this 'horrible' lighting condition, is to bang away shots in series and hope to get a keeper. In my 'study' of my own children, I have found that there is always moments (very brief) where they are motionless. You want to be working on your timing around those moments. Not the most elegant solution, but it is using what you have without more expense. Good luck to you.
Mark makes an excellent suggestion above. Anticipation in photography, is part of the art!