Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #1

Sigma Flash wont fire on my k10d when using cable

Hi guys

sorry i am new here hope this is the right place it feels like a beginners question.

I have a k10d and a Sigma EF-530 DGST i was bought a flash cable as a present ages ago and it never worked i email the company it came from and they said i was doing something wrong and time past.

so the flash works fine on the camera and i can press the test button when its off the camera and it will fire i plug the cable in to the hot shoe on the camera and the flash in to the one on the other end of the cable when i take a photo the flash dosnt fire.

if i zoom in and out on the camera the flash motors move just like it dose when on the camera so some signals are getting to the flash but it still wont fire

please any help

thanks
Alex

02-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You can use a multimeter and check for continuity between both ends of the cord. You need to set the meter on OHM, then you put one probe on a contact at one end, and the other probe on the corresponding contact at the other end. If the current is going through, the reading should be zero (or very close). This should tell you if any contacts don't "communicate" with the corresponding ones at the other end.
02-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try wireless flash mode on K10...works with my Vivitar 285HV. Obviously you have a more sophisticated flash.
02-11-2010, 01:16 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
You can use a multimeter and check for continuity between both ends of the cord. You need to set the meter on OHM, then you put one probe on a contact at one end, and the other probe on the corresponding contact at the other end. If the current is going through, the reading should be zero (or very close). This should tell you if any contacts don't "communicate" with the corresponding ones at the other end.
Thanks i shall try this

QuoteOriginally posted by bogiesbad Quote
Try wireless flash mode on K10...works with my Vivitar 285HV. Obviously you have a more sophisticated flash.
i dont have the money to go buy a more expensive flash at the mo i would like to get this one working

02-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good suggestion from Yves - pay particular attention to the center pin as that's the one that actually "fires" the flash.

Also, since you said you were given the cable quite some time ago, make sure the cable you have has the same number of pins/contacts as the K10D and flash have (three surrounding the main center pin).
02-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Alex,
I'm kinda thinking... there's a good chance you were given the wrong cable.... and the contact points don't even line up.
If this is the case then there's no way the flash would fire in TTL, which is probably what it's set to.
Try switching the flash over to Manual, and I wouldn't be surprised if the flash starts firing. If it does you'll have to learn how to set it up, for proper exposure.... however it really isn't that hard.
02-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #7

Original Poster
thanks for the help so far guys been looking how to fix this for ages this is first forum to get some good answers.

the cable has all the right connectors and the camera is speaking to the flash as with the flash connected to the camera by the cable the auto shutter speed of the camera changes to use the flash.

the cable says on it for pentax p-ttl

i have tried the flash in all 3 of its settings (TTL, Mh, Ml)

thanks for any other ideas that might help

Alex
02-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexMcCranor Quote
thanks for the help so far guys been looking how to fix this for ages this is first forum to get some good answers.

the cable has all the right connectors and the camera is speaking to the flash as with the flash connected to the camera by the cable the auto shutter speed of the camera changes to use the flash.

the cable says on it for pentax p-ttl

i have tried the flash in all 3 of its settings (TTL, Mh, Ml)

thanks for any other ideas that might help

Alex
It sounds as if you have the right cable to use, but have you checked the continuity of all the pins, as flyer suggested, including the side of the hotshoe?

It is possible that one of the wires inside the cable, or in the end connectors, has broken. The "zoom" signal is probably not carried on the same connection as the "flash" signal, so one signal may be getting through, while the other is not.

As Chipb points out, it is the center pin that fires the flash. Therefore the center connector on the camera end must be electrically connected to the center connector on the flash end of the cable. The "ground", or common wire is the side of the hotshoe, the lip that physically holds the flash in place. Make sure that this is connected, as well.

02-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #9

Original Poster
so the lead works 2 a point as if i touch the conectors on the camera side of the cable the flash fires so the problem is with the connection from the cameras hot shoe to the cable or a setting on the camera not triggering the flash
02-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I honestly can't see it being any setting on the camera.
However it may be that you don't have the flash on far enough to touch the contacts. I have this happen to me a fair amount, with my radio popper.

With my Pentax PZ-20 film camera my radio poppers didn't wok, although a standard flash would. It turned out being a piece of plastic molded onto the hotshoe, stopping the radio popper from sliding on far enough. Once I cut this plastic away everything worked perfectly. So it's something else you may want to look at.