Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oggy Quote
Some of the previous replies had me rolling on the floor.
Isn't that the case in many threads… But sometimes I could also bite in my desktop, just to avoid hammering my keyboard to pieces, when I try to stay calm…

Ben

10-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Graystar Quote
The polarizer works best at 90 degrees from the light source. So at high noon, when the sun is directly overhead, you'll get the largest effect by pointing your camera anywhere along the horizon. At sunset, you'll get the greatest effect by pointing the camera north, south, at the ground, or directly overhead.
QuoteOriginally posted by Graystar Quote
Right. So my statement applies only "when the sun is directly overhead"...and at no other time...hence my clarification of "when the sun is directly overhead." If the sun isn't directly overhead at noon, then it doesn't apply, right? So what's the problem?

The idea behind my description is to allow a person to easily visualize what's meant by "90 degrees from the light source," which would otherwise require a more complex explanation. I really don't think there's a need to tailor my answer for each of Earth's 7 billion inhabitants.
Hi, your first quote implies that high noon is when the sun is overhead. The word you were looking for is "if," as in "At high noon, IF the sun is directly overhead..."

At that point you could have removed at high noon, since you were getting at the requirement being overhead, which has nothing to do with high noon.

Two simpler rules of thumb (one of them literally using your thumb), are:

1) make an L with your thumb and index finger. Point your index finger at the sun. Congratulations, your thumb is pointing 90 degrees to the sun. As an added bonus you can rotate your wrist and wherever your thumb points is 90 degrees to the sun.

2) Less accurate but still useful: Point either shoulder at the sun. Congratulations, putting the camera up to your eye means you're now holding it roughly 90 degrees to the sun.

I will assert both are less complex and more practical.
10-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I understood what Graystar meant.
10-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I understood what Graystar meant.
Your post implies something that was meant wasn't typed, which in turn implies what was presented wasn't the intended meaning. And so you're assuming you know the intention.

And so we have a lengthy thread that appears on google searches that doesn't address the issue until you dig a bit more. Isn't this also a beginner forum? Posts that require translations and lead to assumptions of intent don't help.

10-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by frott Quote
Your post implies something that was meant wasn't typed, which in turn implies what was presented wasn't the intended meaning. And so you're assuming you know the intention.

And so we have a lengthy thread that appears on google searches that doesn't address the issue until you dig a bit more. Isn't this also a beginner forum? Posts that require translations and lead to assumptions of intent don't help.
Keep picking everything post apart and see how long you last here.
10-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #36
Veteran Member

This thread has lost me... What started out as an interesting question has become bickering farce!

It's a shame as I could've learn't something...

I truly hope that the moderators can get in... edit... and make some sense out of the few truly good answers here... and have a quiet word with those (who appear to be) taking the p**s!