Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help with self portrait without remote, using timer

Can this actually be done? I can't seem to get focus trying to use the timer (because i don't have a remote yet). My current setup:

K-X
18-55mm kit lens
Tripod

I've tried AF and MF, but still can't seem to get the focus correct. The background is just the white wall of my home. Perhaps that's the problem?

02-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
find a broom and stand it up against the wall, that should give some good contrast, then move it and timer away
02-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
So focus on the broom, hit the timer-shutter release, then move into the broom's place...thanks i think i got it. Does the camera lock the focus as soon as the shutter release is pressed?
02-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #4

Make sure your not using to fast of an F stop either, want a good couple feet thick DOF

02-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #5

Use manual focus too
02-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
Can this actually be done? I can't seem to get focus trying to use the timer (because i don't have a remote yet). My current setup:

K-X
18-55mm kit lens
Tripod

I've tried AF and MF, but still can't seem to get the focus correct. The background is just the white wall of my home. Perhaps that's the problem?
Take the camera off the tripod, put the camera in manual focus mode, stand where you want to be photographed and focus on the tripod camera mount. Now put the camera on the tripod facing you and stand where you established the focus. Set the self timer and move into position. The focus should be correct.
02-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kitkat Quote
Take the camera off the tripod, put the camera in manual focus mode, stand where you want to be photographed and focus on the tripod camera mount. Now put the camera on the tripod facing you and stand where you established the focus. Set the self timer and move into position. The focus should be correct.
That's pretty smart.
02-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #8

The above tips are right on, but I should add that remotes are very cheap on eBay. I recently won an auction for TWO genuine Pentax remote-F's for $10 shipped. I didn't need two, but now I have a spare

02-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kitkat Quote
With the K-x you don't need to go into manual focus if you change the setting of the AF button.

Open the Menu and go to Custom 2. Change the "10. AF/AE-L Button" setting to "3 Cancel AF."

Half-press to focus on the tripod to set the focus distance. Release the shutter and mount the camera. When you go to actually press the shutter, hold down the AF button. This will bypass the AF function of the shutter.

I second the suggestion of getting a remote. However, do note that, by default, autofocus does not operate with the remote. That would be #11 in the Custom menu