Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #1

Instructional Pentax DVD

I recently purchased the Pentax K-x. I am also new to DSLR. I was wondering if there were any training/tutorial dvd's that explain how to operate all the functions of the K-x. I see them for Cannon and Nikon.
I have the owner's manuel, but I'm more of a video kinda' guy.

02-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
rgj

I am a newbie in the DSLR world, had my Pentax K-x less than a week....a training/tutorial dvd would be awesome....
02-12-2010, 12:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I was also new to the SLR world, but I never really needed an instructional video to learn how to shoot. I learned by trial and error and what I couldn't learn through that tedious way, I asked here at PF.

Here are some quick tips:
Basically you have shutter speed, aperture and sensor value.
Shutter speed is self explanatory: The time that light is projected on the sensor.
Sensor value is the how sensitive the sensor is to light. One might think maximum is the best but then you get a lot of noise.
Aperture has more to it than just that it is the size of the hole that the light passes through in the lens. It also controls the depth of field, meaning that if you have a wide/open/small aperture number, the picture will have a blurry background. The more you close the aperture the sharper the background gets.
BUT, this is at the cost of light. When you close the aperture, you decrease the available light, so you have to increase the shutter speed to let the light in for a longer period of time and risk blurry pictures due to movement. Alternatively you can increase the sensor value at the cost of noise which is preferable.

If you understood this part, then you know the basics of digital (since it's a sensor) photography.

Then you have all those Tv, Av and stuff. That's easy. Tv controls Time value (shutter speed). This means you control the shutter speed and the camera controls the aperture and possibly the sensor depending on the settings on your camera.
Av stands for Aperture, Sv stands for Sensor, TAv stands for time and aperture, you control both there and the camera controls the sensor.
I prefer Av and use my front dial for the sensor. It's more of an SAv or something, that way I can control the depth of field.

When you are familiar with these things, come back and I'll explain flash photography.