Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CrossStealth Quote
Hello again
I have a Pentax K-x and I was wondering what accessories should I set money aside for as I advance in photography.
(example...External flash, hood, certain filters etc)

As of now I have a kit lens and I also just bought a Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4. I ordered a UV haze filter tripod extra rechargeable batteries a carry bag and tripod.

What else should I save up for? Im in no hurry to get more but I enjoy having goals to work towards
One necessary accessory is a good tripod. The tripod is essential for composition - with the camera on the tripod you are able to verify all the elements of the picture. You will avoid telephone poles growing out of your friend's head. You will avoid cutting your friend's head off. You can move the camera slightly and select the composition of the scenery that is best.

02-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

My credentials: I've been shooting for a long long time, and I own way too much photo gear.

My advice: The right hood for every lens. (Pentax used to standardize most of theirs at 49mm diameter.) MAYBE daylight filters to protect the lenses - UV filters aren't really needed. Don't spend money on ND filters until you know you need them. A GOOD sturdy tripod, and wired and/or wireless shutter releases. A good flash (I use an AF-360) with diffuser, and maybe a mini-tripod for using that flash at a distance. Good books on the technology and practice of photography and lighting. An extra camera battery. Rechargable batteries for the flash, with recharger. The right size bag. Patience.

Necessary lenses depend on what and how you want to photograph. Before buying, I asked myself: What do I want to do? What lenses will get me there? The answers were ultrawide and walkaround zooms, and a fast normal, and a good cheap macro lens. If you want to shoot far far away stuff, get a long telephoto lens. If you want to shoot in low light, get very fast lenses (not cheap). Various lenses are good for various purposes. But the rule is: The Best Lens Is The Lens You Use. Lenses you don't use are worthless.

Read books. Look at photos you like. Find how they were made. Practice practice practice.Your mind is your best accessory.
02-13-2010, 04:10 AM   #18

Try before you buy

As others mentioned, your budget may get in the way of your ambitions.

I started down your path in 2006. My first move, like yours, was to get a low-light prime (I got the FA 35/2). As others mentioned, the tricky part is buying lenses/accessories that you'll actually be using 6-12 months later. There were two strategies I used:

1. Buy cheap manual focus lenses -- I used Craigslist and Ebay. Of course, you can get burned, but usually you get a lens that may not have the best IQ, but you can see if that focal length is what you really need. If it becomes well used, start saving up for the nice, auto-focus version. This was how I discovered I loved wide-angles, and led to my Sigma 10-20mm.

2. Borrow or rent -- Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to hang out with fellow Pentaxians in Seattle, to try out their stuff. That would be ideal. But I have used cameralensrentals.com. I rented a Tamron 18-250mm for a trip to Ireland last year, and found that I rarely used anything above 100mm. I also needed the extra speed for indoors. That led me to purchase the Tamron 28-75mm/2.8 as my all-purpose.

Have fun. I went crazy on bags, polarizers, filters, strobes, too. But the right light + the right idea will trump the right equipment every time.
02-14-2010, 05:31 AM   #19

Original Poster
everyone had great answers. I think you have convinced me to just buy as I need and probably rent before I buy
Thanks again guys