Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 3
DA 40mm f/2.8 or tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 for K-x

Hi there,

I purchased my K-x (first dslr) about a month ago, and I'm loving it so far. I'm looking to upgrade from the kit lens, and I think I've narrowed down to the DA 40mm f2.8 vs the tamron 17-50mm f2.8, and I was wondering if anyone has owned both and would choose one vs the other.

I use my camera casually, mostly taking pics of family/friends and while travelling. About half the time I'm indoor, half outdoor. Can't really say too much about my tendencies so far, as I'm still growing and learning.

I like the range of the tamron zoom, but the DA 40mm is so small and presumably produces slightly sharper pics. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

02-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
Igilligan
Guest




Cant go wrong with either of them... I have the DA 40 and it is a great little lens.

But for family and friends style shooting my Tamron 28-75 2.8 is my go to lens. Indoors I sometimes need wider than 40mm, plus I am a face shooter so the 75mm end of the 28-75 gets a lot of use.

With my shooting style I would never be taking fam and friend shots at below 28mm anyway, so the 17 thru 28mm would be lost on me. If I absolutely needed a wide lens for a group shot or something I would just use the kit and a flash.

But you are right for indoor shots the 2.8 lenses are the ticket.
02-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Jasvox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,110
2 different animals, but both very good lenses in the right hands. I love my 17-50...I'd buy another one without a blink if it was lost or stolen.

Jason
02-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 3
Original Poster
thanks for the advice, I hadn't even considered the tamron 28-75mm f2.8, but after reading some reviews, I think this another potential good choice. How is the Macro on this lens?

02-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Cant go wrong with either of them... I have the DA 40 and it is a great little lens.

But for family and friends style shooting my Tamron 28-75 2.8 is my go to lens. Indoors I sometimes need wider than 40mm, plus I am a face shooter so the 75mm end of the 28-75 gets a lot of use.

With my shooting style I would never be taking fam and friend shots at below 28mm anyway, so the 17 thru 28mm would be lost on me. If I absolutely needed a wide lens for a group shot or something I would just use the kit and a flash.

But you are right for indoor shots the 2.8 lenses are the ticket.

I would also recomend considering the 28-75/2.8. While I also own the DA40, which I really like as well, it's hard to beat the versility of the 28-75 range for taking pictures of people both indoors and out. These two shots were both taken indoors, wide open without a flash (sorry for the repost, as I also posted these in the Tammy Club thread a couple days ago).


Kx + Tamron 28-75, 63mm, f/2.8, 1/60s, iso 1600


Kx + Tamron 28-75, 75mm, f/2.8, 1/30s, iso 3200
02-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
Igilligan
Guest




I would be reposting those too...

Those are perfect examples of what the Tamron 28-75 can do on the Kx... and those are at 63mm and 75mm, so it shows how nice this lens is out at the long end. This is such a good kid shootin' lens and you really show it here.


The other thing that I love about the 28-75 and the kx is that for indoor bounce flash shots the Pttl metering of the kx seems much improved over my k20... It balances the background and subject well without blowing highlights or underexposing as often as my K20 did.


Here was my first PTTL flash test with the Kx and tamron...



And Torchdoc --- the 28-75 is not a true macro but it does focus fairly close for flower type shots...

02-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Those are perfect examples of what the Tamron 28-75 can do on the Kx... and those are at 63mm and 75mm, so it shows how nice this lens is out at the long end. This is such a good kid shootin' lens and you really show it here.

The other thing that I love about the 28-75 and the kx is that for indoor bounce flash shots the Pttl metering of the kx seems much improved over my k20... It balances the background and subject well without blowing highlights or underexposing as often as my K20 did.

Here was my first PTTL flash test with the Kx and tamron...

And Torchdoc --- the 28-75 is not a true macro but it does focus fairly close for flower type shots...
I'll have to pull out the 540 and try it out with the Kx this weekend as the cat shot worked very well. BTW, I actually recognized your cat from the 55-300 + 1.4x post

I haven't had a chance to try out the 28-75 for flowers yet as I've only had the Tamron a couple months during the winter, but perhaps it will fight for camera time with my DA 35 this spring.
02-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
Igilligan
Guest




haha;;;

The tammy is good but it aint DA 35 good

02-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,684
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
But you are right for indoor shots the 2.8 lenses are the ticket.
For indoor shots, the 2.0 and under lenses are the ticket.
02-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
Igilligan
Guest




Dan you must still be shootin' that old K20d

Haven't you heard ~~ ISO 3200 is the new ISO 800 and F2.8 is the new F1.7

Last edited by Igilligan; 02-12-2010 at 02:45 PM.
02-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
ISO 3200 is the new ISO 800 and F2.8 is the new F1.7
Although I'm not planning on getting rid of my 50/1.7 or 77/1.8 anytime soon (and I'm actually expecting the delivery of an A50/1.2 within the hour), I've found that shooting with the Kx at 3200 does feel a lot like shooting 800 with my K10D/K20D. This makes 2.8 reasonable for some indoor shooting w/o a flash.
02-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #12
Igilligan
Guest




I love my cosina 55 1.2.... Congrats on the new lens~! And an A version! I am so jealous.
02-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I love my cosina 55 1.2.... Congrats on the new lens~! And an A version! I am so jealous.
Well, hopefully I will end up enjoying (and learning how to focus) the A50/1.2. I sold my A50/1.4, A50/1.7, A50/2.0 and A50/2.8 macro to effectively fund the A50/1.2... they don't come cheap

Back to the OP's question since I don't want to completely hijack his thread, below are a couple DA40 images. One thing I have found about the DA40 is that I find it very easy to handhold and balances very very well with the Kx. With SR I can get some pretty low shutter speeds going (not as useful for people shots, but I have found 1/4s isn't out of the question for the DA40 + static subjects).

The first shot is with the Kx (albeit a little bit front focused) and the second shot is with the K7 on the first night I got the DA40 (it was during a power outage and lit only by a single candle).

Kx + DA40, f/2.8, 1/80s, iso 1600


K7 + DA40, f/2.8, 1/15s, iso 3200
02-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #14
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
The pancake lenses are such a terrific match for the diminutive K-x that I'd go for the DA40. You can slip it in a coat pocket. The camera is ignored by its subjects. It becomes a P&S on steroids.
02-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The pancake lenses are such a terrific match for the diminutive K-x that I'd go for the DA40. You can slip it in a coat pocket. The camera is ignored by its subjects. It becomes a P&S on steroids.
I agree they are a great match. I'm hoping to give the DA70 a try with my Kx as well for pretty much the same reason.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
40mm, camera, da, da 40mm f/2.8, f/2.8, f/2.8 or tamron, f2.8, half, pentax help, photography, pics, tamron, tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DA 40mm F2.8 vs FA 50mm F1.4 poogeek Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 12-20-2010 09:09 PM
For Sale - Sold: [US] K20D, Metz 58 AF-1 Flash, FA 50mm 1.4, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Tamron 18-250m jasonfen Sold Items 11 06-20-2010 06:32 AM
For Sale - Sold: M lenses, 80-200mm, 50mm 1.7, 50mm 2.0, 40mm 2.8 (Worldwide) ryno Sold Items 2 04-10-2010 08:50 PM
FA 50mm or DA 40mm winglik Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 25 03-14-2009 07:23 PM
For Sale - Sold: FS: 3 x 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 40mm pancake, 135mm, 70-210mm, FAJ 28-80mm igowerf Sold Items 12 10-13-2007 08:55 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:28 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top