Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2010, 04:33 AM   #1
Inactive Account

T2 versus Adaptall-2?

I've got my hands on a Tamron 500mm f/8 55bb mirror lens, and badly want to use it. The web says it's an adaptall-2 mount, is that a T2 mount or are they completely different things?

02-13-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Adapt-all is a generic mount system from Tamron. It uses special adaptors via its own adaptall-bayonet. T2 is a 42x0.75mm thread and manufacturer independent. You cannot use a T2 adaptor on an adaptall lens unless you would use an adaptall-to-T2 adapter first (but I don't know, whether such a thing exists).

So, if your Tamron 500mm lens is an adaptall one, you need to get the Adaptall PK adaptor. You do not need the much more expensive PKA adaptor though, as the mirror lens has a fixed aperture anyway.

Ben
02-13-2010, 04:59 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for that Ben. That confirms my thoughts.
02-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by whelmed Quote
I've got my hands on a Tamron 500mm f/8 55bb mirror lens, and badly want to use it. The web says it's an adaptall-2 mount, is that a T2 mount or are they completely different things?
They're completely different.

Actually, an adaptall mount on a mirror lens seems like a bit of a waste. The Adaptall system provides for automatic operation of the aperture, which the t-mount system does not. T-mount lenses are purely manual aperture control. The Adaptall system is much more expensive than the t-mount system because of this and probably the fact that it is proprietary to Tamron.

Since mirror lenses have no aperture at all, it seems to me that the adaptall system adds unnecessary expense for no additional functionality.