Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #1

extension tubes

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi, new here, Are there extension tubes that will fit a K10? I search google and come up empty handed
Thanx
Keith

02-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depends on what features you want the tubes to have. Plain mechanical tubes (genuine Pentax or aftermarket) are cheap and readily available used but are really only useful with mechanical lenses that have aperture rings.

I know that some people here have made automated tubes by stripping the elements out of automated teleconverters, but I'm not aware of a source of new tubes with automated aperture control and/or autofocus.
02-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Depends on what features you want the tubes to have. Plain mechanical tubes (genuine Pentax or aftermarket) are cheap and readily available used but are really only useful with mechanical lenses that have aperture rings.

I know that some people here have made automated tubes by stripping the elements out of automated teleconverters, but I'm not aware of a source of new tubes with automated aperture control and/or autofocus.
Kenko has made A/AF extension tubes. Here is a link, but I think they are out of production. They are rarely met in the second hand market....
02-14-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by keithbaran Quote
Are there extension tubes that will fit a K10?
Buy this Pentax 2X TC for $25 and remove the optics.

You'll have an extension tube that does not support AF, but will support all exposure modes of the K10D.

For most applications of extension tubes, you probably use manual focus any way.

I myself have 2 of these "extension tubes."

02-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if you are using M42 lenses there are tons of them relatively cheap.

I have in the past few months picked up a full set of M42 extension tubes Asahi - pentax) for $6 and an Asahi pentax helicoid extension tube (variable from 15-30 mm) for the extortionate amount of $10.

add that to my SMC Takumar 50mm macro and I am all set
02-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This by the way is one of the areas being a Pentaxian sucks. The Canikonians get auto tubes
02-18-2010, 06:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
This by the way is one of the areas being a Pentaxian sucks. The Canikonians get auto tubes
Maybe they NEED them. It's like, if rich people are so smart, why do they need to send their kids to such fancy schools?

But I digress. As noted above, M42 A lenses and tubes are readily and cheaply available. I eBay'd 2-piece Ricoh and 3-piece Vivitar A sets for about US$10 each. No problem.

02-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
But I digress. As noted above, M42 A lenses and tubes are readily and cheaply available. I eBay'd 2-piece Ricoh and 3-piece Vivitar A sets for about US$10 each. No problem.
I use M42 tubes as well.

I do see the need for automated (at least exposure, ideally AF) tubes - as so many lenses don't focus close enough. I remember a shot of an owl in flight in Pop Photo where the photographer used a tele with a short tube. Canon.
02-18-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it is true that A mount tubes are a little rare, and would be nice for those that have an A series macro lens or an AF macro lens, because they could use flash easier.

For me, it is no issue, since I still have my *istD which has both TTL and P-TTL capability. but as noted elsewhere, taking the guts out of a cheap A teleconverter does the trick.
02-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I use a set of tubes originally made for the Pentax S2, which came out sometime around 1960. Gotta love Pentax and backwards compatibility.
02-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanx for all the info. I just purchased these from ebay, once I use them I'll post a review

Macro Extension PK Tube Set for Pentax K10D K20D K200D - eBay (item 230415751856 end time Feb-21-10 07:42:21 PST)
02-20-2010, 06:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by keithbaran Quote
Thanx for all the info. I just purchased these from ebay, once I use them I'll post a review

Macro Extension PK Tube Set for Pentax K10D K20D K200D - eBay (item 230415751856 end time Feb-21-10 07:42:21 PST)
those are pure manual tubes no electrical contacts,
try this shop its where I got my tubes with contacts.
First For Your Photographic Needs - Firstcall Photographic - Taunton, Somerset
Alistair
02-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #13

Original Poster
Received the tubes, work great. Manual is ok, I've been using a reversing ring on my 50 mm for two years, being able to use a ring to focus is wonderful, with the reverse ring I'd have to move my camera or the subject to focus. Electronics would be cool for the aperture. Does anyone know what the US dollar equivalent is to 81 pounds?
02-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are these the Auto metering set of Extension Tubes? Vivitar AT-22

02-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Are these the Auto metering set of Extension Tubes? Vivitar AT-22
They are "auto" in the sense that they have the aperture levers. With an appropriate lens, you can meter with open aperture. The camera body will close the aperture of the lens during picture taking.

I wrote "with an appropriate lens" because the lens has to have an aperture ring, and OFF the A setting (if exists). The metering will be the same as for an M lens (camera in M mode, use green or AE-lock button for close-down metering, no p-TTL flash, ....).

As mentioned, a PK-A teleconverter with optics removed makes the best extension tubes. You don't have autofocus, but it supports all metering modes, including p-TTL flash.

An example here.

Last edited by SOldBear; 02-24-2010 at 01:19 PM.