Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2010, 03:06 AM   #1

Got my new Pentax K-x, have a focus problem. Help!

Hi All,

recently I decided to switch from my compact camera (a Lumix TZ-5, I still love it for what it is) to a new Pentax K-x. As I am completely new to DSLR photography, I was at first quite a bit confused about all the possibilities. After my first two weeks of getting aquainted with the camera, I like it very much. However, I have a slight suspicion that the camere is a tiny little bit out of focus. An example: When I take a shot with Aperture 4.0 of a newspaper page from a very flat angle with spot focus on, more of the text parts "before" the focus spot are sharp than behind the focus spot. Is this a normal thing to occur or is there really a problem? I do not know if this sounds logical, as an example I have attached one of these test shots to this post. There I have set the spot focus on the word "Haupt". A bit more of the text "before" this word is sharp as "behind" the word. Am I seeing ghosts or is there really a focus problem?

My second question is about the viewfinder. I do have perfectly normal eyesight. Normally I never have to correct the viewfinder diopter to get an sharp picture in the viewfinder. On this camera I had to set the switch one step to the right, do I have to worry about this?

I am sorry if these questions sound totally noobish, but please keep in mind, beginning a new thing is never easy.

Thanks for all your help,

Scrub

Attached Images

02-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Scrub_AUT Quote
Hi All,

recently I decided to switch from my compact camera (a Lumix TZ-5, I still love it for what it is) to a new Pentax K-x. As I am completely new to DSLR photography, I was at first quite a bit confused about all the possibilities. After my first two weeks of getting aquainted with the camera, I like it very much. However, I have a slight suspicion that the camere is a tiny little bit out of focus. An example: When I take a shot with Aperture 4.0 of a newspaper page from a very flat angle with spot focus on, more of the text parts "before" the focus spot are sharp than behind the focus spot. Is this a normal thing to occur or is there really a problem? I do not know if this sounds logical, as an example I have attached one of these test shots to this post. There I have set the spot focus on the word "Haupt". A bit more of the text "before" this word is sharp as "behind" the word. Am I seeing ghosts or is there really a focus problem?

My second question is about the viewfinder. I do have perfectly normal eyesight. Normally I never have to correct the viewfinder diopter to get an sharp picture in the viewfinder. On this camera I had to set the switch one step to the right, do I have to worry about this?

I am sorry if these questions sound totally noobish, but please keep in mind, beginning a new thing is never easy.

Thanks for all your help,

Scrub
If you're comparing this to what you'd see from your panasonic, Don't. This is exactly what I would expect to see wide open on any SLR. Do an internet search on Depth Of Field and how it relates to image sensor size for a full education on the subject. Also note that the focus point is not a single pixel point and at that close distance is going to cover quite a large area.

As for your diopter question, adjust it so that the text in the viewfinder is sharp.

Then, Enjoy the camera..

02-16-2010, 08:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for your help! I think I have a way to go concerning DSLR's. Recently I had a visit to a museum nearby and I was really blown away what this camera is able to do in low light! Outside in the snow and good light it is even more easy to get very good images.

Thanks again!

Scrub