Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Wonder if that is a common issue with that lens?

02-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
The only reason I want to clean it is because it DOES have effect on the images. I think it's a little silly that I've had the lens two months and have dust on the inside already.
Mine is a DA version 1 that I've been using a lot for 4 1/2 years. It's pretty clean, so I had to add some "dust" for this demonstration. The first photo has a clean lens, f8, about 50mm, tripod, 2s delay, ISO200:

Some "dust" on the front element:

Some "dust" on the rear element - I had to unmount the lens for this, so the photos don't quite line up:

The front element "dust", a dot of paper cut from a Post-it note:

The same dot applied to the rear element:

Comparing the full-size images, I can easily see the contrast is reduced, with maybe some color tint. The dot takes up a considerable percentage of the rear element, and the effect is more obvious. I have never seen a lens with that much dust.