Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Can a lens be repaired?

I have an old SMC Pentax A 1:2 50mm that was on my wifes old camera but it will not focus. I have to be around 24 inches away from the subject to bring it into focus.

I notice the screws on the back, should I open it up and attempt a repair? I dont beleive this is an expensive lens and its worthless the way it is so should I try? Or are lens repairs fairly cheap?

02-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Yes, lenses can be repaired. However for the lens you have it wouldn't be worth it. You could probably find a working copy for under $50.00. It would cost twice as much to have it fixed. Check the marketplace here for a replacement or try to fix it yourself. Someone here actually posted a tutorial for taking a lens apart and putting it back together, but I don't link. Try to do a search.
02-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by The Kurly One Quote
I have an old SMC Pentax A 1:2 50mm that was on my wifes old camera but it will not focus. I have to be around 24 inches away from the subject to bring it into focus.

I notice the screws on the back, should I open it up and attempt a repair? I dont beleive this is an expensive lens and its worthless the way it is so should I try? Or are lens repairs fairly cheap?
The minimum focus distance of this lens is about 19 inches (.45 meter).

Just to make sure you know how to use this manual focus lens: Have you tried turning the focusing ring while standing 2 feet or more from the subject?
02-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks I did the search and did make some progress. It now allows me to focus on anything between 1 foot to 6 feet. Is that common?

02-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ma318 Quote
The minimum focus distance of this lens is about 19 inches (.45 meter).

Just to make sure you know how to use this manual focus lens: Have you tried turning the focusing ring while standing 2 feet or more from the subject?
No problems with knowing how to focus, I'm testing it now on my old SLR (K1000).
02-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #6

Thanks I did the search and did make some progress. It now allows me to focus on anything between 1 foot to 6 feet. Is that common?
No, you should be able to focus between 19 inches to infinity.

On the focus ring, there is a distance scale in feet and meter. Why don't you turn the ring to say the 15feet mark and stand about 15 feet away from something and take a picture. Also use F8 and a tripod for this test.
02-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #7

Original Poster
No go. Put it on my Kx in case there was a glitch on the k1000 and I am still only able to focus 6 feet at max.

Tried your test with the Tripod and it is crap

02-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #8

No go. Put it on my Kx in case there was a glitch on the k1000 and I am still only able to focus 6 feet at max.

Tried your test with the Tripod and it is crap
Then there is something wrong with the lens. Maybe something inside is out of alignment.
02-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #9

Original Poster
Yup. Anyidea how to fix it or what may be out of wack?

Do you think if I drop it again it will come back into focus?
02-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #10

Yup. Anyidea how to fix it or what may be out of wack?

Do you think if I drop it again it will come back into focus?
You should ask with a separate post in the LENS section.

Here some info.

Go really slow if you have never taken a lens apart. Don't scratch the lens. And take lots of photos of the lens as you take it apart. Don't lose any screws and label them with masking tape. You do this at your own risk - there is always a small chance you will end up ruining the lens. I think you only have to take the front part of the lens apart. Don't take the rear section apart unless you find that you have to. The rear section has tiny spring and pin and ball bearing that are kind of tricky to put them back together.

The Classic Camera Repair Forum: fungus removal on Pentax lens

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/68480-infinity...42-lenses.html

Last edited by ma318; 02-14-2010 at 01:47 PM.
02-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #11

Original Poster
HA!!! I did it!!! When I tightened the focus ring screws I did not have the ring in the right position!!! A little adjustments and a few cuss words and VOILA SUCCESS! now for a few test shots...
02-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #12

HA!!! I did it!!! When I tightened the focus ring screws I did not have the ring in the right position!!! A little adjustments and a few cuss words and VOILA SUCCESS! now for a few test shots...
Good for you...

I guess the answer is "yes" to the title of this thread.
02-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

In the same token I have an 18-55 DA-L lens that has already seemed to have gotten some specs of dust on the inner elements.

Would it be like brain surgery to attempt to disassemble and wipe clean the inner elements or should I take it somewhere and roughly what kind of cost would that incur? I only ask because this lens can be had for pennies.
02-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
In the same token I have an 18-55 DA-L lens that has already seemed to have gotten some specs of dust on the inner elements.

Would it be like brain surgery to attempt to disassemble and wipe clean the inner elements or should I take it somewhere and roughly what kind of cost would that incur? I only ask because this lens can be had for pennies.
It's probably not worth it either way. Dust makes an unsightly blob on the sensor, but within the lens, has a very small effect. An AF zoom lens has a lot of parts inside. I would be a little worried about getting everything back together and functional again, and it would have to be a more serious problem than dust to get me to try. Professional service would have to cost a lot less than the price of the lens to be worth it.
02-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
It's probably not worth it either way. Dust makes an unsightly blob on the sensor, but within the lens, has a very small effect. An AF zoom lens has a lot of parts inside. I would be a little worried about getting everything back together and functional again, and it would have to be a more serious problem than dust to get me to try. Professional service would have to cost a lot less than the price of the lens to be worth it.
The only reason I want to clean it is because it DOES have effect on the images. I think it's a little silly that I've had the lens two months and have dust on the inside already.