Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Totally agree, I'm a pretty fierce critic of Pentax where it is warranted myself *K-7 lowlight performance yah boo hiss* But by the same token surely a reasonable man will agree the flipside also holds - no point in claiming that every K-X sample is broken based on a very limited sample.

Hence a title like: "Is there any k-x not suffering from the mirror slap problem?" is ludicrous. last time I heard you had to prove an assertion like that before you made it, ie innocent until proven guilty. Posting stuff like that is imo unhelpful as it just scaremongers.
And I totally agree with you as well, which is why you certainly won't find me posting any threads by similar titles. Rather, you'll find me repeatedly explaining that while the problem exists, it is rare and easy to work around, you can buy from a store with a good return policy and in the rare chance that you get a bad one simply exchange it for a good one (as most of them are), and that anyone who thinks the K-x sounds like a good buy should absolutely get one and not worry about the "mirror slap problem." As I already have, in this thread and several others.

02-15-2010, 12:06 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
BASH BASH BASH.... Get the torches

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The mirror slap problem is real. To dismiss it is as a couple of guys complaining is downright maboish. That is always the Pentax/Hoya line, "a few disgruntled people on the internet".... bla bla bla.

I have lots of shots that do not exhibit the issue... I have had a few that do. The ones that do are not as bad as some of the other folks, but it is there none the less.

So please do not dismiss issues with these cameras and lenses. Eventually it may be your issue and you will want a real discussion. Lets keep this forum a place where that can happen.
If your camera has a problem, get it fixed. This isn't a difficult concept.
However, to blather on internet forums that because your camera has a problem, every camera of the same model has the same problem is retarded.
02-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #33
Igilligan

Bash Bash... get the torches.
02-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #34
Igilligan

what good would it do to send it in?

Little Billy at the CRIS repair facility can't fix it... It is not in his GO/NO GO repair manual... --- If this... then do this...

It is not in his repair manual because Pentax Engineering has not solved the problem and sent an update to his "if this... then do this" manual. Plus it is not in their best interest to admit there is a problem. Much easier to say it is 2 people making a big deal bout nothin' on the internet. The same way they have dismissed the SDM motor issues.

So little billy keeps sending the cameras back saying "No problem found"... Are you not reading any of the threads?

Are you just calling folks Retards because it sounds good in your head?

Last edited by Igilligan; 02-15-2010 at 01:09 PM.
02-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
However, to blather on internet forums that because your camera has a problem, every camera of the same model has the same problem is retarded.
Yes, doing that WOULD be "retarded" (as you seem to understand the word, at least), just as "retarded" as saying that just because most K-xs don't show the problem means that every camera of the same model doesn't have a problem.

However, very few of us who are experiencing the problem are doing so. I think I've emphasized the fact that the problem is RARE in every single post that I've made on the subject. Saying that all of us are "retarded" just because there are a few screamers is akin to me claiming that all Canadians are drooling morons because I happen to know a couple who are. Or like saying that all K-xs are bad because just a few show a problem. See what I did there?

A small number K-xs have a flaw that degrades image quality in certain situations. Pentax has not acknowledged the problem and is therefore unlikely to fix it. It makes sense that the users of those K-xs displaying the problem would want to talk about it at a place like Pentaxforums. Get over it.

You're making an imaginary army of "retarded" Pentax-bashers out of a few vocal questionables over at DPReview and putting all the rest of us who are dealing with the issue rationally into it with them. There's no logic to it.
02-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I think I've emphasized the fact that the problem is RARE in every single post that I've made on the subject.
So, back to the original post that started this thread: someone is scared off from buying a very nice camera because of rare problem.

I'm not trying to say the problem doesn't exist just that it needs to be taken in context, both as part of the camera as a whole, and as a part of the whole market of cameras.
02-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Is that not essentially what I've been saying all along as well?

No one should pass over the K-x due to the rather rare and easy-to-deal-with problem. It's my first recommendation to anyone in the entry-level camera market. That's my line and I'm sticking to it.

When people start violently decrying anyone who reports an issue with personal attacks they're contributing just as much to the problem as those doing the scaremongering.
02-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #38

This is an EXCELLENT example of why Pentax needs to be actively, openly, engaging in discussion on these forums. Their marketing dept firewall brigade can assure them that regardless of the merit of such a concern, the percentage of customers likely to make issue of it is not worth sticking their necks out. Meanwhile the entire company holds its collective breath and prays on its knees that one or another of these issues dies and early death... whether or not it ever merited attention. Or it becomes a gas pedal issue for Toyota. That's "old school". Everyone loses.

As I pointed out in another post, personal computer companies have learned this lesson the hard way and Dell almost lost the farm by sticking to the above strategem. Now Dell, and a number of other major brands, either host their own forums or actively participate in user forums similar to this. They are suprisingly candid and proactive. They get on top of such things as 'mirror slap' right at the grass roots and if it's a problem, they provide users with confidence that it's being addressed, and that users can expect such consideration with all future dealings (future purchases!!) and perhaps even more importantly, for all involved, they get an opportunity to quell meritless gripes before they go 'viral'. Everybody wins.

Last edited by frascati; 02-15-2010 at 06:26 PM.
02-16-2010, 03:05 AM   #39
Veteran Member

From all that talk, I see there might be a problem with some K-X. And I also see that some "engineers" decided it is caused by the mirror. Any proof to that? As far as I know, the problem could be caused by a lot of other things. If you send your camera back to Pentax stating there is a problem with "mirror slap", they will always return it with a "no problem" note if the problem is caused by something else. People without the proper training to diagnostic a problem should never do so. People should only describe the problem and let a trained technician figure out what the problem is.
02-16-2010, 08:14 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Never mind. I'm not willing to retype the several long posts from this topic that answer every question you just asked. My diagnostic tests will be appearing in about a week (I'm in no rush), and we can talk then.

A hint: as I've stated several times in this talk you say you've read, the problem is NOT caused by the mirror. So you can count this "engineer" out of that crowd.
02-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Never mind. I'm not willing to retype the several long posts from this topic that answer every question you just asked. My diagnostic tests will be appearing in about a week (I'm in no rush), and we can talk then.

A hint: as I've stated several times in this talk you say you've read, the problem is NOT caused by the mirror. So you can count this "engineer" out of that crowd.
I'm sorry if you feel singled out. I didn't really target anybody. It just seems like some people attribute a lack of sharpness at some shutter speed to the mirror. It could be the mirror, but it could also be a lot of other things, hence my remark about "engineers".
02-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #42
Inactive Account

Whether real, imagined, defect, or design flaw...whatever it is, it's not my problem anymore.

And as I am no longer a Pentax owner, good day to you all.
02-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I'm one who has noticed the "mirror slap" problem in my K-x. The whole thing is getting slightly ridiculous; for one, it's not "mirror slap" causing the problem. The problem dissapears when I turn off the SR, which you really don't need at those shutter speeds anyways.
This is interesting. Maybe there is an SR issue? There is only one thing that I do not like about in-body SR: The fact that you can't see it working unless you are in LV. When you are using a lens-based SR, you really don't even bother checking the confirmation light, because you can see when the SR has settled down and you can take the picture.
02-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
This is interesting. Maybe there is an SR issue? There is only one thing that I do not like about in-body SR: The fact that you can't see it working unless you are in LV. When you are using a lens-based SR, you really don't even bother checking the confirmation light, because you can see when the SR has settled down and you can take the picture.
There is no doubt in my mind (or in my photos) that it is indeed an SR issue, as I've been stating. I did make sure the SR confirmation light was on when I originally did my own (non-scientific) tests of my camera. It made no difference. Turning the SR off entirely did make a difference.

Flyer, I may have reacted a bit over-defensively to your post. I'm getting a bit tired of this subject and how irrational some of the posters (I wouldn't lump you in that category, based on your other posts) on either side have become, and its showing in my responses. I'm leaving this thread behind. I hope my upcoming tests will be able to further shed some light on this subject.