Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2010, 08:06 AM   #1

K-x kit lens. How good is it?

The camera is available on amazon for $473 with 18-55m AL lens and for $573 for the 50-200 mm ED lens. I'm a newbie. I have just handled D5000. So my question is, is 0really worth the extra $100 in getting the 50-200mm lens in the kit. I'm not very sure about this because I have seen not so happy reviews about the kit lens offered.

Thanks

02-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

As far as I know, Pentax kit lens are better than what is offered by other brands.
I have the DA 18-55mm AL II and the DA 50-200mm and am satisfied with it.
The versions I mentioned are supposed to be the same lens design with the DA-L that is now being offered with the K-x, albeit to make it more affordable a plastic mount was used instead of the usual metal mount, no lens hoods included, and no clutch focus.
That is just about the only difference with the DA and the DA-L.
You can check the lens review section about the DA18-55mm AL II and the DA 50-200mm as it should be about the same as the DA-L.
Here the link for the DA reviews :Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - DA Series Zooms
Here's the link for the DA-L reviews :Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - DA L Series Zooms
02-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have been nothing but impressed with the 50-200. For what it is, it can produce some really fantastic images. It's IQ in my practical findings is much much better than the 18-55.

Here's some shots taken with the 50-200 on my K-x:

1/80, f/9 at 95mm.

1/200, f/9 at 105mm.

95-105 at f/9-11 seems to be its sweet spot.
02-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #4

Original Poster
thanks a lot gerry and noah.. im goin2 bite on this deal then...

02-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
Igilligan

In my opinion

I agree with Noah... the DA 50 200 and the 55-300 IQ are both better than the 18-55 kit...

The 50-200 is worth a 100 bucks more...

And this kit with the 55-300 it is worth 175 more... I love the 55-300 and it is on amazon as a Kx kit for $649 right now

Amazon.com Shopping Cart

I have them all... and the 55-300 is my new carry everywhere lens. Before I got the 55 300 it was my 50-200.

The extra 100mm is big if you want to shoot farther away. Think Zoo shot/ birds...

A couple early ones from the 55-300

And a crop of the goose

02-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #6

Original Poster
thanks for the link igilligan.. but the 55-300mm kit lens with 18-55mm lens is OOS at the moment. And I will be relocating to India within a month. It says will ship within a month or two. So I'm in a fix now. Also, it is going to be my first DSLR purchase. So not sure about what I might need.
wats the typical reselling price for this lens. So if feel the need to upgrade I can swap the 50-200mm with this later on? If I do that how much of a price differential would i incur. Right now the difference between the 2 kits as you have pointed of is 75$.

Last edited by rahulz5; 02-15-2010 at 11:06 AM.
02-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
Igilligan

almost everyone I know who has ordered the "backordered" 55-300 kit has got it sooner than the date listed on Amazon...

But with you moving in less than a month, it might not be worth the risk.

I guess if they have the 50-200 kit in stock, you could get that. It is a good lens IMHO, I just really have liked the extra reach of the 300mm.

My guess is that the 50-200 would get about a 100 dollars used, and that soon we will see some 55-300's used in the market place for $200 or so....

02-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Like Gus, I enjoy the reach of the 55-300, especially for birds, but the K-x with the kit including the 18-55 and 50-200 is feather light--truly amazing for a DSLR with that reach and quality. I put this combo together for a hike yesterday, and it was the easiest carrying rig I've tried with anything like that range. (I still prefer my pancake primes, though)
02-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #9

Original Poster
thank you gene and gus... i ordered the kit with 55-200 mm.
also which is the best lens for portrait pictures and getting some candid shots. It will cost a bomb for me to ship stuff to india so i'm looking to pick up stuff before I head back. From the other posts I observed that DA40 or tamron 28-75mm could serve this pupose. Which one would best serve my purpose?
02-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The lenses you ordered cover the focal lengths you'd need for candids and portraits. Eventually oyu might wish to spend more money for "faster" lenses with larger maximum apertures, but no need to rush into that until you have a better understanding of your needs.
02-15-2010, 08:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I own the DAL 50-200mm kit lens and i think its a very good and an underated lens. But i'd choose the DAL 55-300mm for the extra focal length.

heres some shots of the DAL 50-200mm
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
02-15-2010, 10:50 PM   #12

Original Poster
thanks rusty and marc..
Again deviating a bit from the original topic. where do i get a bag for the camera?
i checked at amazon. The only bag that fits the description is precision design 2000 but they charge whopping $10 shipping. Any tips on how to find a good bag/carrying case.

Is there any thread or article that explains the basic stuff needed thats specific to pentax dslr for a newbie. I will try to find something but if someone knows one already would be of great help to me.
02-15-2010, 11:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I bought the Pentax branded sling bang and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. It's seriously awesome.

Check it out here.
02-15-2010, 11:40 PM   #14

Hi Rahulz,

I just bought a bag from ebags ( eBags - Largest Selection Of Handbags, Backpacks, Luggage & More - eBags ) which is a great low cost place to buy camera bags. They're always running sales and they have great video demonstrations of the product.

The one I bought for myself (through ebags) was the Tenba Messenger, which allows top access to the camera via zipper, without the need to open the bag wide so that everyone can clearly see that you have expensive camera gear inside. If you're wanting to be discreet that's a good way to go.

Lots of good camera bags, backpacks, etc. are demonstrated by video at the Tenba web site ( Tenba: Professional Bags for Photography, Computers, Shipping, Portfolios and Grip ) if you're interested, and they're pretty much all available on ebags, or Amazon, or whatever your preferred store is.

Everyone has their own preference as to a camera bag. My own is to have it slung over my shoulder to one side (not in a backpack) so I can see where it is at all times for safety reasons. I also don't want the bag to *look* like a camera bag, so that it doesn't become an easy target for thieves.

I also won't buy a bag online that I can't see demonstrated in a video. Buying/trying in person is best, of course, so that you can feel the weight of the bag, get a true idea of its size and figure out if it would be comfortable to carry. And of course it's always a good idea to patronize local camera shops, since the Internet is taking such a big bite out of their sales.

For the K-x and standard lenses any bag that can comfortably fit a DSLR camera body and an extra lens or two should work. Many bags allow you to store the camera and telephoto lens as a single piece (for easy retrieval and fast picture taking) and that has always been my preference.
02-16-2010, 05:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rahulz5 Quote
thanks rusty and marc..
Again deviating a bit from the original topic. where do i get a bag for the camera?
i checked at amazon. The only bag that fits the description is precision design 2000 but they charge whopping $10 shipping. Any tips on how to find a good bag/carrying case.

Is there any thread or article that explains the basic stuff needed thats specific to pentax dslr for a newbie. I will try to find something but if someone knows one already would be of great help to me.
+1 for tenba sling bag, its water resistance materials. if its going to be used in india, i suppose its quite wet and humid. otherwise, a golla bag is quite nice too. get the big bag, you'll be buying lenses in due time.