Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #16

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

thanks tokyo and aspiring amateur.
i really liked the safety part stressed i still havent zeroed out on a bag yet.
The messenger bag concept is cool but wont the bag on the hips be jostled around a lot more than a snug backpack?
I will also post a starter kit thread soon which might help other newbies know where to pick up stuff.

02-16-2010, 11:28 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ranulz5: The kit lens will serve your needs for some time to come--it is an excellent lens, capable, stopped down & in good light, of competing with lenses many, many times its cost. I'm not sure if any mentioned this yet, so I'll throw it in here. We have a "Kit Lens Club," where the 18-55mm Pentax is showcased. Look in here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/45425-kit-lens...tml#post921182

I also agree with Marc that the 55-200 easily covers your portrait needs for some time as well. Using the 55-200mm will give you time to see exactly which focal length (s) are most valuable to you.

I agree with the observations of others here that Pentax kit lenses are not to be beaten. Great choices--best of luck!
02-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bags are very personal things, but lucky, while finding Pentax cameras and lenses in stores, finding bags is not. Any camera store, and electronics store, even most K-marts, will have dozens to chosoe from.
02-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Ranulz5: The kit lens will serve your needs for some time to come--it is an excellent lens, capable, stopped down & in good light, of competing with lenses many, many times its cost. I'm not sure if any mentioned this yet, so I'll throw it in here. We have a "Kit Lens Club," where the 18-55mm Pentax is showcased. Look in here:

.....!
thanks jewell... and yes i didn know abt the kit lens fan club. it made me go wow
i wanted to jump in on da40 because theres a deal floating around 150 in ebay. But looking at what marc already pointed out and what you said, i just plan to stick with the kit lens for now until i understand better what i'm handling.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Bags are very personal things, but lucky, while finding Pentax cameras and lenses in stores, finding bags is not. Any camera store, and electronics store, even most K-marts, will have dozens to chosoe from.
will head to the local store and check stuff out before i buy something online.

02-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #20

Hey Rahulz,

You're right about the messenger bouncing around a lot more than a backpack. Everything's a trade-off. For me the messenger will be my camera bag for the airplane and for city walking. I do hike a bit with my camera, but on my full day hikes I typically have a full size backpack with water, food, emergency gear, etc. For hiking I will probably buy a more standard camera bag that is smaller than the messenger so that I can wear it at the same time as my bigger backpack.

Tenba has some great camera backpacks I will probably consider as well for shorter hikes.

If the safety thing appeals to you, there is a line of bags (with only one or two camera bags) that has steel reinforced straps and webbing hidden under the material to make it harder for thieves to cut the bag off your shoulder. They're not camera focused, though they do have some decent options for camera bags. The company is called Pacsafe ( Pacsafe Anti-Theft Bags & Travel Security Products ).
02-16-2010, 10:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
rahulz5: thanks jewell... and yes i didn know abt the kit lens fan club. it made me go wow
i wanted to jump in on da40 because theres a deal floating around 150 in ebay. But looking at what marc already pointed out and what you said, i just plan to stick with the kit lens for now until i understand better what i'm handling.
Anytime! By "deal floating around 150 in Ebay," do you mean this auction:
smc Pentax DA 40 mm f2.8 Prime Lens - Like New - eBay (item 220556911772 end time Feb-22-10 03:00:52 PST)

If so, please realize that auction has 5 days to go yet. Though the bid is currently around $150 us, I'm pretty sure it will sell for more than double that. That is, simply, a beautiful lens, but you will do well to see which of these special Pentax lenses is best for you by working with the best kit lenses available.

Are you originally from India? I made a great friend, while at school in Boston, who is from India--more specifically, Goa.

Best to you!
02-17-2010, 12:01 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Anytime! By "deal floating around 150 in Ebay," do you mean this auction:
Are you originally from India? I made a great friend, while at school in Boston, who is from India--more specifically, Goa.

Best to you!
I had actually meant this ebay DA 40mm as indicated by you the latest prices have breached $200 already.

Yes, im actually from india. but a little more south and on the other coast. Goa is a gr8 place. lots of music fun. came here for wrk. im goin back so i can prepare and go to school again for masters.

02-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #23
Inactive Account

I just bought a K-x with the 18-55 and the 50-200 kit lenses. In bright light, I can get an acceptable picture but I am having a hard time getting sharp focus in low light situations. I tried using the aperture setting with ISO maxed at 800 but AF does not seem to lock in, even with the "pop - up" flash. Anti shake is on and I tried to use any available support (buildings etc) when possible.

Thanks, Bill
02-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #24
Veteran Member

if you're in US and you ebay, I recommend you pick up a few old 28mm/2.8 or 50mm/1.7/1.4 lenses back with you. Can usually spot a good price. <$50
02-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
if you're in US and you ebay, I recommend you pick up a few old 28mm/2.8 or 50mm/1.7/1.4 lenses back with you. Can usually spot a good price. <$50
Don't listen to tokyoso..else he would start you on an LBA!
If you experience what really good prime lenses could do, it would start you thinking and looking for these rather than your usual zooms.
This is what has gotten me to LBA!
I thought I was going to be happy with just the kit zooms but...another story.
02-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #26

Original Poster
thanks tokyoso. I dont have a clue which specific ones to look for. Can you gimme the different lens that is pentax compatible and I might try to hit up one of them?

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Don't listen to tokyoso..else he would start you on an LBA!
and what is LBA!

oops nvm i got it
02-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rahulz5 Quote
thanks tokyoso. I dont have a clue which specific ones to look for. Can you gimme the different lens that is pentax compatible and I might try to hit up one of them?
here's a good site for info:
Pentax K-Mount Lenses and Lens Accessories

luckily, i have been spared of LBA so far. i just enjoy reading about them.
02-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #28

Original Poster
here's a good site for info:
Pentax K-Mount Lenses and Lens Accessories

luckily, i have been spared of LBA so far. i just enjoy reading about them.
interesting thanks well u got 2 primes urself
02-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rahulz5 Quote
Basically, if the seller says it is for Pentax, then it is. The only thing you need to be aware of is the difference between m42 screw mount versus k-mount (google is your friend here). K-mount is what your camera has, although there are adapters to use m42 screw mount lenses. If the seller doesn't specifically use one term or the other and it's not otherwise obvious (eg, all lenses listed on the aforementioned site - the K, M, A, F, FA, DA, and DFA series - are K mount), feel free to ask the seller. If they don't know - don't buy the lens. If they can't tell you what kind of mount the lens has, then clearly, they've never used it, and have no idea if it even works.
02-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Basically, if the seller says it is for Pentax, then it is. The only thing you need to be aware of is the difference between m42 screw mount versus k-mount (google is your friend here). ........ If they don't know - don't buy the lens. If they can't tell you what kind of mount the lens has, then clearly, they've never used it, and have no idea if it even works.
Ur awesome u manage to read exactly what i think and tell me what i need to know. thanks !