Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20d Constainly over exposing

I have a k20d. Yesterday I worked a party with my 540fgz and without the flash. All my images seem to be 1 stop to dark (over exposed) This is on the P mode. J-PEG . Luckly for me I have Lightroom and its a easy fix but I starting to get concerned. Is anyone else having this issue? And is there any fix?

02-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by layfsphoto Quote
I have a k20d. Yesterday I worked a party with my 540fgz and without the flash. All my images seem to be 1 stop to dark (over exposed) This is on the P mode. J-PEG . Luckly for me I have Lightroom and its a easy fix but I starting to get concerned. Is anyone else having this issue? And is there any fix?

Are you saying: "One stop too dark." ? That would be underexposed not overexposed.

If so, it is a common complaint. Many say it is Pentax metering protecting highlights. If it is a consistent issue, dial up the EV compensation.
02-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
Inactive Account

More importantly which metering mode are you using? spot? Center weighted or evaluative? each has its uses and each has its problem depending on the circumstances. Its a common misconception that since the camera has a meter built in that somehow it should always expose correctly... The meter is an aid, but youll need to tell the camera what you REALLY want it to do based on your particular scene.

But yes I also tend to dial in about 1/3 or 2/3 of exposure compensation on both my Pentax Cameras (K10D and *istDL). So your experience is not unusual. The exposure compensation and metering modes get a good workout on my camera.

I also like to have the histogram pop up on my image review so I can see for myself what the exposure really looked like since the brightness of your screen can throw you off. I have my screen turned down a notch to try to help me out.

Note that flash pictures may be under or overexposed for totally different reasons, relating to distance and P-TTL metering. Flash exposure is a whole other discussion. Flash compensation can be done independantly from the basic exposure compensation depending on what you want your picture to look like.
02-15-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As always, pictures demonstrating the problem would help. But in general, no it's not a "problem" - as stated, it's simply the camera trying to protect highlights. If you don't mind blowing out your highlights, feel free to dial in positive compensation. Or your scene might be lighter than average in general, and the camera has no way of knoing this, so it does what meters are syuppsoed to do and tries to make the scene look average - which is to say, darker. in whcih case, again, dial in compenation in these cases.

Note with flash, any reflective surface will tend to fool the meter as well. That's harder to desl with.

04-26-2010, 05:45 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
under exposed.

Bruce Layfield Photography on www.photofins.com | The Privett Family

See link. I am constantly getting this On Shutter Priority and everything else.
04-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The EXIF is missing, and the pictures are pretty small so its hard to tell for sure (were you using fill flash?), but the bright sky in the background is a perfect example of exactly what I was talking about. As any book on photography will explain, a bright sky behind a subject - or any situation in which your subject is backlit - will result in the background being exposed well, but the subject looking dark in comparison. I'd definitely suggest visting the library or a bookstore and checking out a book - pretty much any book on basic photography will do - that explains exposure and in particualr when and how to use exposure compensation.
04-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Under.

Yes that one was with a fill flash. It seems to me that when its a BRIGHT day I get really under exposed images. But it is so consistant. I am thinking about using the SPOT meter and let the rest drop off. Expose for what I want and work it out in Lightroom. But i would rather trust the metering system.

04-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Well you're starting to "learn" that the metering system will bring down the exposure when there are a lot of bright elements in the scene so as to prevent overexposure. So you CAN trust the metering.

One of my Canon bodies does the opposite. It will attempt to brighten up the shadows and let the highlights blow out. THere's only so much the camera can do with that much dynamic range.